2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: RO/DI water problems - lessons learned  (Read 2329 times)

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
RO/DI water problems - lessons learned
« on: December 16, 2008, 19:35:25 »
Lessons learned: 
- don't trust a single TDS meter (may as well have 2, they are cheap enough)

- measure pressures pre and post sediment filter to really know how much crap it is pulling out.  There can be no rule of thumb for how often to change filters.  It totally depends on water supply, micron of filters and gallons pumped thru. 

- don't accidently pump ONLY hot water thru the RO membrane.  Having my RO/DI hooked up to my faucet, I usually run warm water, aiming for 77 degrees or so.  However, with kids sharing the downstairs bathroom earlier this summer, I came home to a 'steaming' holding tank..... ugh.  Then, I didn't realize that could have destroyed the membrane, and combined with bogus TDS readings......I kept using the membrane thinking all was good...

Not sure what really caused the problem, but the combo was not good.  Only good news is I seem to have plenty of magnesium in my water....   

This didn't kill any fish, and I'm not keeping corals yet.  Prepping for corals is what got me testing so many parameters.  Having a high carbonate hardness, high pH and low calcium apparently didn't hurt the few fish I have. 

I'm sure there are other things to watch for, but this is my little hit list.

- Rayk

Offline Russ

• Fry
Re: RO/DI water problems - lessons learned
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:38:08 »
Good post.

Anything over 113 degree F voids the warranty on Filmtec membranes.