2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Trace elements  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Grunk08

• Juvenile
Trace elements
« on: March 29, 2009, 11:07:24 »
Need some advise. My livestock consists of softies and lps. I currently do not test for Alk,Cal or Mag. should I be? I use RSCP salt. If these trace elements were below the recommended levels would my livestock be suffering? Just wondering if I should spend the money on test kits only to find out that all levels are ok.

Offline verper

Re: Trace elements
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 11:25:06 »
Simple answer -yes  ;D

RSCP is one of the more consistant salts as far as values but you should still test.  Alk and pH are the main ones to test for at least weekly with your type of tank.  Cal less frequently, Mag and Nitrates once a month unless there is a problem.

Trace elements (stronium, iodine, potassium, etc) are replaced by water changes.  Are you having problems?  Just asking because my tank had a steady decline over a period of months using RSCP and I couldn't figure out what was going on.  All of my testing came in normal.  I ended up using a different salt and my tank looked better within a few days and now is back looking like it did before. 

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:45:29 »
what salt are you using now scott?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 11:50:16 »
(Correct me if I'm wrong Scott,) but Scott and I are now both using SeaChem.  I'm still on the fence with it, but I'm giving it some time.  My tank immediately perked back up when I switched from RSCP.  I think I might try Tropic Marin or Tunze salt next. 

Offline verper

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 11:55:45 »
(Correct me if I'm wrong Scott,) but Scott and I are now both using SeaChem.

You're wrong, but not about the SeaChem. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Only thing I don't like about the SeaChem is the film from the parcipitate.  I cleaned out my 55 gal drum a week ago and it has a coating on the bottom from the first batch made up.