2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: skimmers?  (Read 2809 times)

slandis3

skimmers?
« on: August 18, 2006, 00:36:24 »
when i setup my new 200g tank i am think of running a aquac 240 with a magdrive 120. Before I buy it, I would like to know what other people think.  What would you run?

bigfalcon36

Re: skimmers?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 01:24:30 »
I had an AquaC for a while...it was nice.  But I like needlewheel skimmers better and now has an ASM.  i recommend an ASM G4X with a recirculation modification.

slandis3

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 01:35:48 »
i have been told the asm skimmers have been known to crack after a few months of use. Have you ever heard of this

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 01:52:33 »
I've had an ASM Mini for about 6 months and I've seen no signs of cracking. This is the first I've heard that. I have heard that the ASM isn't quite as durable if dropped.

slandis3

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 01:55:18 »
I was told they do not do well with any type of drop or hard hit. I am woundering if over time the acrylic will get brittle to the poing of breaking under the pumps psi. I have never heard of it but im fairly new to acrylic. Ive alwas used glass tanks and berlin skimmers.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 02:01:57 »
I'll let ya know in a couple years!!!  LOL

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 04:54:56 »
I've had 2 different ASM  over the last 1 1/2 years (Upgraded to a larger size and sold my old one to Travis) and have had no problems!  I would highly recomend ASM!!!  I've never heard of them cracking.  As for hard hits, what wouldn't break with a hard hit?

Offline Viggen

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 12:28:56 »
I do not beleive the ASM's would become weaker over time due to pressure because the amount of pressure inside there is minimal :)

The only time I feel dropping it could occur is cleaning the skimmer.  If the cup is dropped I do not beleive it would fair well however simply being carefull shoulf ensure it's not dropped.

I have a ASM G3 & a ER RC500 (was a 12-2) & I definantly like my ER more.  The pumps are quieter & it's just built a LOT better!!  My biggest complaint with my ASM is how difficult it is to remove the cup & lid due to salt/water/etc getting in there & making it very difficult to twist off.  My ER is a older one & I beleive the newer ones have a much easier cup to temove.  Mine is a 2 hand job & it takes a while to unscrew the union thingy they use.  My lid just sits on there & is easy

If you want a needlwheel & are worried about longevity check out euro reef.  They definantly cost a lot more due to better materials however for not a lot more money you can get a ER blem!  My ER I purchased use which save be about 50% :)   
300g tub o fish

bigfalcon36

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 12:46:16 »
Good points Viggen.  If you want to find some good deals look on ReefCentral.com in the used forums:  http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=2

slandis3

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 01:49:08 »
well i have decided that i am going to use an aqua c 240 on my new system. I have been watching the one joel has setup in his shop and i am impressed with it. If i find a used aqua c 400 i would go with the bigger one. i am going to be putting the tank in the house in 2 weeks providing the baby hasent been born yet.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 06:47:57 »
A new tank and a new baby???  You are one lucky guy!  ;D

slandis3

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 06:59:14 »
i work 60-75 hours a week.all that work i think i should have a new toy for me and the family to enjoy.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 17:22:47 »
I couldn't agree more.  :)