2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Dip or meds  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Viggen

Dip or meds
« on: September 02, 2012, 18:51:11 »
Well, had my fish in qt for a few weeks, most are doing really well

Blue face angel looks like he has something eating his fins, they are chewed up quite a bit.  Should I yank him and freshwater dip? 

Sargassum trigger seems to keep getting ich, gets discoloration on his fins.......

Everyone else looks great and eats great
300g tub o fish

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Dip or meds
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 19:24:17 »
The problem with fin rot, is that it can be caused by Abuse, Bacterial or parasitic.    If it is Bacterial or Parasitic, then likely all of the fish have the same malady.   The fact that ich is present amplifies the problem.

I would treat all of the fish,  IF you suspect abuse, put perforated divider in the QT tank, to keep fish separated.

This is a decent page to look at.  http://www.chucksaddiction.com/disease.html

I sat in on a seminar in which John Copolino discussed Angel fish QT process.   He used the following chemicals....depending on what is being treated.

Seachem Cuprimine  (Gentler form of copper)
Prozipro
Nitrofurizon
Maracyn Two.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 19:59:12 »
I do not think he's getting picked on........ I have the fish in a 150g Rubbermaid tub..... A 2nd tub is empty and plummed in, I can put him in there to be safe.

I will look into the meds.... I think I have fluke tabs, but not sure that's what I should use
300g tub o fish

Offline larrynews

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 20:22:37 »
any chance you can get a picture of him

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 21:54:38 »
I will try to, I can only view them from above but I will try tomorrow
300g tub o fish

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 22:09:55 »
i would fresh water dip all the fish to atleast try to kill off the ich, it may help with the fin issue too, if not atleast you will only be fighting one battle at a time. good luck and keep us posted

Offline Viggen

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 19:28:15 »
well..... i think what I have thought was ich in the past is flukes..... my blueface stopped eating today and was kinda acting weird yesterday when i saw his fins eaten up.  Did a 10-15 minute freshwater dip & have a few hundred flukes floating around in the bucket...... probably 10-20 came off his eyes........ ugh

Caugh the sargassum and dipped him as well, probably only 10-20 flukes came off of him & I see 1 of the yellow tangs has a bit of his fin eaten up

I think what I assumed was caused from ich on the trigger was actually the flukes.... not a few fish have it

Going to place a order tomorrow to get meds sent my way.....

I was told to dip all fish.... do a HUGE water change and then load up on carbon to remove copper.... then treat for flukes

what a PITA!!!!
300g tub o fish

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 20:41:58 »
Good Luck.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:57:10 »
If it is just a fish QT, I see no need to run any carbon in that tank for purposes of getting rid of copper... Just do water changes...

And yes, Good Luck, Keep us posted.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Viggen

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 13:49:53 »
Jack's Aquarium to the rescue!!!  I was going to order from Premium but new it would take a few days to arrive... called up Jacks & they do not have what I need in stock but can order it from PetSolutions.  They will not match price but did meet me half way..... same company but yet different company :(

API General Cure is $15 for 10 packages of poweder and from what they stated the entire box treats 100 gallons.... so I would need 3 to treat my QT for 1 dose

Hikari's Prazipro is the other chemical I was considering, suppose to be very fish & bio load friendly & for 16oz they wanted $70 vs $40 from PetSolutions... they are sending it to the store tomorrow and selling it to me for $50.  This bottle will treat 1900+ gallons.....

Prazipro will be in tomorrow......

De Los was the other product I was considering but it's 5x's + the price plus shipping from Arizona

With copper.... I was worried that there could be a reaction with copper plus the other meds so I wanted to remove as much copper as I can.  I hope to do a water change tonight of at least 50% (drain & fill at least 1 tub) & add carbon to remove some of the copper. 
300g tub o fish