2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Got Crabs? Maybe not any longer...  (Read 7507 times)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
Re: Got Crabs? Maybe not any longer...
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 12:08:30 »
We won't be ready to set it up till after Christmas.  Thanks for the info on the rocks.  I'll keep that in mind. I want to go to Gerbers, never been there. 

Never seen their rock. But they have a huge selection of fish.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 12:25:50 »

I need some nice looking rock.  I like the one I got off Justin.  Wish they all looked that good.  But, when I started this hobby, I thought rock was rock .... lol 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 16:16:46 »
the only problem is gerber rock aint the best next time ur there pull a peice out and smell it if it smells like something dying u know
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 17:22:38 »
This one had no smell and was extremely clean.  However, I've experienced it the other way from them as well. 
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 17:25:56 »
the rock is mostly meh, you just have to wait for someone to trade in their rock, thats when you get the purple stuff... also possibly some of their problems which got them out of the hobby.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 17:27:29 »
the only problem is gerber rock aint the best next time ur there pull a peice out and smell it if it smells like something dying u know

hmmmm  the ole scratch and sniff test ..   :-Thumb   I'll do that.  I learn so much here.   :)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 19:48:02 »
Here's our current tank.  The rock from Gerbers is the large pyramid to the right of the torch coral in the center of the bottom sand.  It's to the left of the overflow and the flat piece with all of my zoa frags on it is resting atop it.  Largest rock in the tank, outside of the Timoran "skull rock" on the bottom left.  This skull rock is the rock all of the crabs but one have been found in.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 20:12:30 »
Nice looking rock work.  You have a lot of little caves for the fish.  I need more flat rocks.  I think the only flat one I have is from Justin.  The rest are odd shape and hard to put anywhere.  Your tank looks very nice.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 20:22:36 »
Thank you for the compliment.  Lonnie or Hunger had it right, tho... I need to stop messing with it.  I just noticed that I've a mushroom colony in the wrong spot.  This look has taken a lot of work, but worth it.  The rock has cost a small fortune; about $800 total.  My bank account is screaming in pain. :o

Kev

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 20:27:13 »
looks good 
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 20:31:57 »
I did my rock work, thought it was OK till I got on a reef site and seen others.  So, I changed it .... TWICE !!
Justin from AS told me to quit messing with it before I crash it.   So, now that I seen a lot of different tanks, when I move from the 90 to the 220, I will pay special attention to the rock work.  I like the look of little caves.  Since I didn't have any flat rocks at the time I went from a 46 to the 90, I put a piece of slate in there. And that's where all the fish, except the Clown, sleeps under.  And that's where all my mushrooms went.  It's a happening spot .... lol

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 20:37:25 »
ya i want to redo mine  but dont want to at the same time
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 20:41:07 »
When I did mine, I got a jar of Nitrate Sponge and put in the sump.  I was lucky, nothing happened. 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 20:42:44 »
smart or could have done a nice size watter change
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 20:45:22 »
Yes, I did that also, the next day.  Left the sponge in for a week.   It stirred up a lot of crap when I did it.  But, I like the look better than what it was.