2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: My setup  (Read 8588 times)

wayne

My setup
« on: May 11, 2006, 09:01:09 »
I have:
46 gallon bow front with diy overflow (1" drain, 2 1" u-tubes) estimate doing about 400gph
20 gallon sump/refuge (refuge has about 20lbs of live sand, live rock rubble, chaeto, grape caulerpa)
2 seio m820s
3 maxijet 1200s (moded to do ~500gph) on wavetimer
3-4" sand bed with aragonite, some crushed coral in the display (approx 4 yr old sand bed)
~75lbs live rock
mex. turbo snails, cleaner shrimp, astrea, cerith, red & blue legged hermits
various zoanthids, mushrooms, xenia, some type of acropora, polyps, plate coral
2 rock/flower anemones
2 tomato clowns, 1 blue damsel, small yellow tang, male (?) mandarin
short spined urchin
remora pro skimmer with mag7 run 24/7
chaeto/grape caulerpa in the sump, lit 24/7 with a ge plant bulb
display is lit 8 hours per day (approx 11am - 8 pm), 2x96W PC, dual daylight/actinic (due to be changed very soon)

For those that have read about my fight with cyano and hair algae, I've recently increased my flow in the display and through my sump/refuge.  Originally I had a smaller overflow doing around 200-250gph.  I've built a new one that closer to 600gph, the surface of the display stays very clear now, and I can see the increased flow in the sump/refuge and in the display.  After modding my maxijets, I can see a huge increase in flow.  My acropora isn't extending as much now, so I may need to move it to a lower flow area.

I've started dosing iron in the fuge to hopefully increase macro growth.

My sand bed has been cyano free for about 1 week now  ;D  I'm praying it stays like that.

My urchin has removed every trace of green hair algae.  Now, I have patches of a brown 'furry' looking algae that I've been pulling and scrubbing off the rocks with a toothbrush.  I don't know what it is, but I don't think its the green hair algae or cyano I have been plagued with.  I don't think the pictures below are clear enough to make it out.  I'll try to get a better picture and post it.

I recently added a mandarin.  I think they are one of the most beautiful fish.  He's hard to make out in the pictures. 

I need to learn how to take pictures and/or get a macro lens. 

Urchin and mandarin (bottom):

Urchin and mandarin (bottom):

You can kinda see the brown 'furry' algae on the rock in this picture.  Anyone know what it is and what to do to get rid of it:

Plate coral I received from illnino.  I'm target feeding mysis.  Will it regrow its tentacles?:

Rock anemone:

This is what I had a few weeks ago:

Yuck!

Offline Slicktrax

Re: My setup
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 09:26:03 »
great updates.  sounds like you might be turning the corner.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 12:17:19 »
I personally feel that it is the miracle sand.  :)  Looking good.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 15:02:30 »
The brown stuff looks kinda like diatoms to me.

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 16:24:29 »
and your clown looks like a cinnamon!!  ;D
Erin

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 16:58:14 »
Looking good wayne!  Keep up the great work! 

wayne

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 22:22:24 »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Wayne

BobbyC

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 22:36:52 »
nice tank wayne, I'm glad to hear the algae problem is getting better.

wayne

Re: My setup - Updated photos as of May 29
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 19:07:14 »
Here are some newer pics of my (now) bad algae free 46 gallon bow front, and some pics of my new 18 gallon cube (my daughters' tank):

The new (used) 18 gallon cube I purchased from Jesse and setup in my daughters room (125w MH lighting, sand from Jake, some rock I had cooking from previous attempts to remove bad algae, some corals that came with the setup and some from my bigger tank):

Wayne

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 20:14:20 »
those clowns sure do look like cinnamon's!!!  :o
Erin

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 21:38:44 »
Looks good Wayne!  I think I have a few things from Jesse's tank!  :)   Your tang is looking a little fatter now. Keep the seaweed salad going!  :)

wayne

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 05:44:29 »
those clowns sure do look like cinnamon's!!!  :o

I believe you are right.  They were sold to me as 'tomato clowns', but they have gotten much darker over time, as you can see. 

Wayne

wayne

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 05:46:46 »
Looks good Wayne!  I think I have a few things from Jesse's tank!  :)   Your tang is looking a little fatter now. Keep the seaweed salad going!  :)

Thanks!  I've been feeding a little more than I used to, but being very careful to not overfeed and I clean out/siphon out any leftovers.

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 20:22:17 »
another way to figure out whether they're tomato's or cinnamon's is there bottom fins and anal fins, if they're completely black, they're cinnamon's, if they're orangish-black, they're tomatos. That's how I figured it out. I bought my guy over a yr. ago last mother's day at jack's, was sold to me as a tomato as well and after a month of being in my tank, he started turning extremely black in the fins and body and his stripe became very blue! so I went on RC, and got the positive ID of cinnamon! are yours really aggressive?
Erin

wayne

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 23:00:54 »
another way to figure out whether they're tomato's or cinnamon's is there bottom fins and anal fins, if they're completely black, they're cinnamon's, if they're orangish-black, they're tomatos. That's how I figured it out. I bought my guy over a yr. ago last mother's day at jack's, was sold to me as a tomato as well and after a month of being in my tank, he started turning extremely black in the fins and body and his stripe became very blue! so I went on RC, and got the positive ID of cinnamon! are yours really aggressive?

The larger of the two is very aggressive (attacks my hand whenever I put it in the tank), the smaller of the two is fairly timid and doesn't bother anything.

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 23:31:53 »
lol..sounds like my clown, I played a trick on my sister today, she's 15 and doesn't really care about my tanks, well she asked if she could feed my clown today and I said that's fine, I said you have to place your fingers in there when you drop the food, so she did and my clown went to town on her fingers!!! LOL  :laugh: she said she'll never feed my fish again! lol
Erin

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 10:17:35 »
did jesse sell his tank????  does he have another tank or is he done???  I have a few things outta jesse's tank as well and it would be a shame if he's out of the hobby.
Inspired!!!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 11:19:36 »
Is he from Troy?

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 18:24:57 »
yeah... jesse was from troy!
Inspired!!!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 18:27:43 »
Hmmm, I got some stuff from him as well. Didn't know he was getting out of the hobby.  :(