2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Ice cap gyre 1k-4k pump  (Read 1012 times)

Offline dbowman

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Ice cap gyre 1k-4k pump
« on: November 22, 2020, 11:28:34 »
i have the Ice cap dual wi-fi controller with one pump and am considering adding another pump, if you have one and have gone another direction, could you post the reason you don't use it?   I am considering the Hydros control system which is compatible but before i get too far out on the branch i would like to know it will hold my weight. the reason i am asking is:
The Current USA eFlux power heads in my display tank were acting up and I bought the Icecap. I thought i could use them in the sump and other display where i have Current Loop set ups but they stopped working. I soaked them but they are toast.
 so WTB should be Worried to buy?  not in a hurry but if you have one or more pumps or parts let me know.

Offline Cincy Reefer513

• Fry
Re: Ice cap gyre 1k-4k pump
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 18:25:16 »
I have an icecap 3k for sale. Comes with controller though.

Offline Cincy Reefer513

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 18:25:37 »
513-237-9279

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 20:03:23 »
thanks

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 05:32:45 »
I have been running a 1k for years and bought a 2k with the new dual pump wifi controller a couple of months ago to additional flow options. As long as you do the normal/routine maintenance, they should last awhile. The only issue I have with the setup is that it doesn't like my wifi-mesh setup I have. I usually have to reset the closest wifi router about every other day to keep the controller online. I don't think I'd have the issue if I was running a single wifi router though. I don't know how well they would work in a sump to be honest though as both of mine are in opposite sides of the display tank.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 12:58:53 »
thank you for your experience. i have a router hooked to my cable and MAC desktop that has wi/fi somehow i thought i could check the tank from my iPhone while i was away from home. still working on that.
   I have a wi/fi controller for my Current USA light in addition to the icecap. i don't seem to have interference there.  My other Current lights are remote controlled not wi/fi, so no interference there. I was under the impression that i would be able to run an older pump through the dual controller while running the single 4K from it too. Are you using the dual for a 2K, or two 2K pumps?
 Do you use two Icecap controllers in your LAN? I could see where that could cause the same type of problems that two radio controlled cars, or aircraft would have, if they are on the same channel.  Same brand same frequency settings. If so, there is probably a solution for that.
  I bought a 2K pump only, on sale. I will let you know how it goes.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 20:38:20 »
My 3k worked fine until I used too much acid to clean it. My 1k lasted about 2 months running at 100% until the motor unit failed. I contacted CoralVue and they offered to replace the motor unit for $49 + a 20% discount code. A+ customer service in my opinion.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 21:05:57 »
thanks, i am hoping to get some citric before i need to clean anything else

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 22:21:50 »
I'm only running one controller. The 2k/4k WiFi controller can control 2 of the Icecap gyres. I have a 2k and a 1k gyre connected to the 2k's controller.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 10:48:40 »
Jeblin,
 I think i understand, it isn't the icecap that is the problem you are having, it is your router set up? i currently have a 4k vertical gyre pushing along the back wall and my return spraybar acts like a horizontal gyre moving water along the top toward the 4k gyre end where the overflow is. I plan putting the 2k on the other end, either horizontally facing down or vertically opposing the 4k