2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: NEED LEDs  (Read 4168 times)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
Re: NEED LEDs
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 13:23:24 »
I'll just give you a breefing of why i think this way.

10 years ago when i started in the saltwater area, i was only interested in fish. So i bought some T5 lights, kept things well lit, etc, etc. I had no interest in corals because of the price (but i didnt make as much then as i do now). So i broke down as i began to be more interested in them, seeing the cool colors, dreaming of ..... nm that part lol, anyways. So i bought the PC lights, not a cheap buy, but saved me energy compared to MH, though replacing the bulb every 4 months began to irritate me. With the depth of my tank, i have had some corals die on me (maybe 3) within a week because they didnt get enough light. At the time, i didnt know. But the depth of my tank destroyed the PAR level. So i started sticking them higher in the tank. But even then, i could tell (though my water parameters were pristine) that they just werent "growing" well. Now that i have had these CREE LEDs, i have never seen such growth.

In a 55g, which is 18" deep, PC's and such would be fine, i should have been using MH because my tank is 24" deep.

But like i will say again, I think that having a PAR level of close to 250 is better than knowing what corals you want now and short changing yourself in the long run and having to fork out more money (or doing without) for some better lights.

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 15:46:31 »
Darin I have seen as many good post on the ecorays as bad as with almost every product put out. I can't tell you the par at 24" but I have used them first hand and am very pleased. I have more than a few customers who are exrtemely satisfied. One has them 14" above his 120gal and keeps very nice sps on the bottom another has a single fixture above a corner 49gal. and also has wonderful sps on the bottom.
 As far as what lights he really needs I think does depend on what he wants to keep or if he feels he may want other corals that require higher light in the future. If some one walked in and told me they were only interested in softies or lps wich occures more than you think I would not necesarily have them fork out the money for led's. At that point it would be more of a luxury than a necesity.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 15:51:22 »
I agree.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 16:19:53 »
i have 2 175 M/H and 1 250 M/H only because the 250 hase to go threw a 1/2 piece of glass and the lights are 13 inchs above watter with leds lets see how they do in 5 years if they last that long  on a tank as you can tell im not into leds yet alot of people jump on the band wagons with things like power compacts than over driving t5s ya they work but not for long
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 17:40:44 »
do a search online. CREE vs 5mm LED, or even the 10mm LEDs. They dont lost a long time. CREE as far as I'm aware, which has been proven by their older models, last a long time, longer than 5mm or even 10mm.

The LED unit that i build is comparable to the Orphek LEDs that some of you may have heard about. They sell one unit for 900, i sell mine for (when people want me to) 500, depending on what they want. But they pack in 60 LEDs and i do 28. Theirs is designed for deep tanks, 48", mine are for 36" but are adjustable depending on the depth of the tank.

The 5mm LEDs, to me, are for those who want to save money without spending a lot, but that has it's drawbacks. I would warrant mine labor free for 5 years and the PSU for 2. In a retail store, i bet these would sell for 7-800 each.

The power savings of LEDs over 5 years pays for itself compared to MH. No bulb replacements, 50%+ less power consumption, less heat so no need for chillers, but to each their own ya know. Weather you go with 5mm, CREE, MH, PC, etc, its all choice on what you want/plan on doing/need for your tank. I went with CREE because for a couple extra hundred, i have a very versatile setup that i can do whatever, and if future proofing is considered a luxury, thats what i would rather have. Upgrading isnt cheap, esp if you consider how much you lost on selling your used equipment.

Look all over the net, there are tons of articles. LEDs dont provide the broad spectrum that MH or PC's do but they do supply what is needed.

Check out RC, they have a TON of info on it. There are many factors to consider when buying lights, dont short yourself or you will pay for it in the long run.

Offline liljake

• Juvenile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 19:19:15 »
i got them guys,thanks

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 19:47:28 »
but my par on my m/h at 3 year old bulbs were 200 at top and 100 at bottom and to repalce 3 mh i would have to spend over $1200  as compared to $350 in all my light and $120 in bulbs every 3 years  and i dont run a chiller  and dont have to run a heaters  i have looked up how much electric i would save if i have leds i would be  saveing 5 bucks a month thats it because i would have to have heaters the leds would have to last and have the same par for 11 years for it to pay for its self
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline liljake

• Juvenile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 20:00:12 »
i got two ecoray 60 w leds .seem to be working excellent so far

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 20:19:26 »
you dont have heaters? your not worried about heating and cooling fluctuation? bold move.

Let me know how well they work in a few months Jake, i am interested. I have heard so many mixed reviews it made me stay away from them.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 20:43:44 »
Hi, Jake:

what did you buy; I'm curious.  would also like to know how they work out - keep us posted.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline liljake

• Juvenile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 20:47:23 »
they look great ,my tangs starting to come out and everything and my keyna trees starting to open up already

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 21:07:04 »
Could you post a pic?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 21:57:50 »
you dont have heaters? your not worried about heating and cooling fluctuation? bold move.

[/quote
i have a fan over the sump it kicks on when over 82 i do have a heater it kicks on at 79 but the tank stays at 80.8 to 81.2
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 22:07:35 »
Yeah but what about night. The temp drop, ESP in the winter

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 08:16:03 »
at night its at 80.8 with everything on in the day 81.2
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 11:34:45 »
I would have suspected I higher drop in temp through the night. I know my tank at night without heaters have hit as low as 76 that I know of.

Offline liljake

• Juvenile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2011, 13:31:42 »
i have heaters my tanks at 80

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2011, 13:36:07 »
As do I. I have never heard of anyone up north not needeng them to maintain their heat because we get cold weather. Unless he keeps his home heat set to 80 lol

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2011, 14:06:43 »
from day one when i set up my tank it has allways been 80 and up when i redid my hood and added a fan it keep my tank at 80 to 82
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2011, 14:39:30 »
Yeah but how does it stay 80 at night without your lights on?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2011, 14:43:43 »
i have know clue
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2011, 15:51:24 »
Have you checked the temp in the morning before the lights turn back on?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2011, 18:22:27 »
ya 80.1 to 80.2
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2011, 19:40:18 »
Interesting.  I wonder how it maintains its heat with no heat source for 10hrs roughly.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2011, 22:40:01 »
im guesing throw the pumps and power heads
SIZE DOES MATTER