2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 125 build  (Read 1288 times)

Offline referinohio

• Adult
125 build
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:35:58 »
Hey all,
 I'm in the infancy of a 125 build, so gonna thow out a question. Right now in my 60 gal reef I have a drilled tank/sump refugium and powerheads for circulation.
I'm figuring about 2000 gph on this new one. Is this too much going thru the sump/fuge or is it best to tone that down and go with a closed loop? Would like to
get rid of the powerheads if possible.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.

cheers.

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
Re: 125 build
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:42:22 »
I had about 2200gph on my 250g setup through the sump. 2000gph may be a bit much trough the sump on a 125. Now some questions, what size is your sump going to be? How will it be set up, wet/dry or full of algae and sand? 

My new system has a 125g sump with about 3600pgh going through it but it is setup as a criptic fuge so I have the water flowing through a little faster than normal. So it will depend on the size of your sump and what style you are building to help get an idea of how much water you want flowing through there.

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:27:46 »
It is a 29 gal sump divided into 3 sections, inlet where my skimmer will be, middle section refugium and a pump section,
power heads for calcium reactor and phosban reactor and such. Will be using an external pump. Would like a bigger
sump but all has to fit in stand with everything else. Don't think gf wants CO2 stuff in the living room. Call it a hunch.
thanks

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:43:05 »
An option if you want a bigger sump and you don't have a stand yet is to build an over sized stand. My 250g was 5' long and the stand was 7'. If you have a stand or a bigger stand is not an option I would go with something like 1200gph through the sump.

As for flow in the tank I love me closed loop. A lot of different ways to set them up and you can add things like oceans motions to change up the water flow. You can drill the tank for the closed loop or go over the top of the tank like mine.

If you go power heads I would go either tunze or vortech if the budget allows for them.

Power heads take up space in the tank and save room in the stand where a closed loop saves tank space but you need room for the pump and plumbing.

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 12:04:38 »
Cool, thanks.

Will probably go with the closed loop. Just printed off of Melevsreef.com a design
on the over the top type.
Even though I am going to drill the tank for my overflow. Siphon over flows scare me a bit.
Have read some good stuff about the cpr units though.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 12:44:17 »
Here is what I did when we built our 125.  Maybe some helpful information.  We did make some changes along the way that you can see toward the end.  Good Luck!!!   http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522147

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 13:11:02 »
Ah, to have a fishroom.
Very cool. thanks

Offline muttley000

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 17:06:25 »
Even 1200 GPH sounds like a problem to me in 29 gallon sump.  If you leave room for draindown on the 125 at power faliure, your only probably going to be able to keep that sump half full or so.  I have a 29 gallon sump on my 29 gallon tank, and a mag 7 provides all the flow I would want through it plus some.  I would shoot for 300 to 500 through the sump and do the rest with a closed loop like you are thinking.  I have a CPR overflow on a 47 cube (tempered all panes) :(  and it works great, but I would always pick drilling with a glass holes box whenever possible.

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 06:20:56 »
yeah, think that's what I'm going to do.
Going to order the hole saw and bulkheads this week.
Then go with the closed loop also.
Thanks