2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Absolutely Insane...!!!  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Absolutely Insane...!!!
« on: October 08, 2011, 16:40:08 »
I had to get a prescription filled for my daughter and I always go to walgreens, but this time I decided to go into meijer(across the street) for the very first time; only because walgreens does not allow you to carry a firearm inside, and I did not want to fool with disarming. We got our prescription filled(took 15 mins, standard time at walgreens) and we left. As I was putting Hayleigh in the Car a man opened up fire across the street at the very walgreens I would have been in....

I am not sure if it is plain luck or someone was watchin out for us, but I am soo glad I did not have to handle a situation like that with my daughter at my side... It is still blowing my mind
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 17:00:02 by Boonjob »
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Absolutley Insane...!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 16:43:54 »
Oh wow that is crazy.

Offline HUNGER

Re: Absolutely Insane...!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 19:05:36 »
crazy
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 19:27:25 »
I use the no firearm=no$ card wherever I go.  Makes 'em feel stupid.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 20:29:23 »
My apologies, I was under the understanding that this was a no carry zone as I had seen a sign awhile back, however I was just informed it is a pro carry zone... Still glad I thought I couldn't carry in there..
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 20:39:15 by Boonjob »

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 21:42:38 »
Everything happens for a reason ....  Glad you and your daughter went to Meijers.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 08:14:19 »
Everything happens for a reason ....  Glad you and your daughter went to Meijers.

+1!  Personally, I feel someone was watching out for you and your daughter!  Glad you are both safe!!!

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 09:59:41 »
Having your daughter with you I would hope you would've chosen to not engage unless absolutely necessary.

We're taught to have plans in place and practice them so the family knows exactly what to do if a situation arises.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 12:44:30 »
You could have made front page news.......you didn't say he opened up firing with an AK-47

Cops pulled up ;...... he started shooting at them, so they shot him.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 13:08:39 »
Cody shoot us the article/report if you find it.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 13:12:11 »
Cody shoot us the article/report if you find it.

+1

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 13:14:45 »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 13:20:31 »
Oh wow. I am glad you didn't go in, looks like you would have been standing right next to him in the pharmacy. We have been unlucky lately on Ohio Reef with fish but lucky for you and your daughter Cody. Maybe that was our sacrifice if you believe in all that

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 13:32:24 »
Oh wow. I am glad you didn't go in, looks like you would have been standing right next to him in the pharmacy. We have been unlucky lately on Ohio Reef with fish but lucky for you and your daughter Cody. Maybe that was our sacrifice if you believe in all that

+1!  That is crazy!  So glad you and your daughter weren't there!  I don't mind sacrificing a few fish for you!  :D 

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 14:01:13 »
Yeah thanks all, it was blowing my mind something feirce yesterday to know we were a split decision away from an encounter like this... as I most certainly would have been passing him coming in as we would have been leaving.

Granted I could have made front page news, but I could have also been listed in obituaries...

I have several AK's and I know the power behind that round... I would have been timid to even engage him with my 1911 with 185gr critical defense rounds even if my daughter wasn't at my side... My first priority most certainly would have been retreat with my daughter at my side.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 16:11:04 »
glad nothing happend to u but he got what he deserved in the end
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Viggen

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 20:22:31 »
2 of my 3 kids played soccer today.... one of the fathers was talking about his wife's work.  Turns out she's a pharmacist at the store the gunman came into.  She was scheduled to work that day & decided to take a day off for some reason.  She stated the gunman demanced two different types of drugs & the pharmacist stated it will take a minute.  He then opend up fire & the girls hid behind a desk or something.  They yelled at him it will take a minute because we have to get the keys to open up where the drugs are..... so he stopped & they were able to get him some drugs.  I guess $140 in drugs... not even the stuff he asked for...

300g tub o fish

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 21:31:56 »
I am glad you and your daughter are safe! I think all law biding citizens should get there CCW for times like this. We hope to never have to use them, but if we ever need to I would rather have one on my side.

O and that 1911 would have been plenty to take out that gunman, with a dopehead going up against you, I dont think you would have had any problems :-) But maybe someone was looking out for the dopehead!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 21:35:57 »
I am glad you and your daughter are safe! I think all law biding citizens should get there CCW for times like this. We hope to never have to use them, but if we ever need to I would rather have one on my side.

My CCW instructor said always remember this, " It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

I think my wife is gonna go get her CCW soon, I will feel much better with her and the kids out and about with them.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 21:40:32 »
Ha, I wasn't doubting the ability of my 1911 to end the threat... I was actually just stating I would have been outgunned from the get-go...cover for me would almost be nil with him wielding an Ak-47 with most likely surplus military ammo(firing fully jacketed rounds inside of Walgreens)... there wouldn't be much in that store to afford me appropriate cover in a situation like that, He would have had me simply outgunned(ammo,penetration,capacity)... especially if he took cover. I am shooting a very light .45(185gr hollow point*critical defense*) My round is designed not to pass through more than one target, so trying to penetrate any form of cover would have been almost useless for me(and it stated he had a vest, if it was armored at all it would have greatly reduced the effectiveness of my .45)...

I'm glad it ended the way it did

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 21:42:57 »
My CCW instructor said always remember this, " It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

I think my wife is gonna go get her CCW soon, I will feel much better with her and the kids out and about with them.

I hate that i have mine and never carry.  where do you carry 1911? small of the back just doesnt fit my 92FS.  I tend to only where tshirts most of the time and would always be printing
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 21:44:57 »
if u get an inside the waste band holster and can hid them a lot better
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 21:48:44 »
I used to carry a ruger P89 full frame 9mm, loved the gun but was a brute to carry. It was best to carry under my bike jacket or lower back ( sucked when you forgot it was there and sat down to hard lol )

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 21:49:54 »
I hate that i have mine and never carry.  where do you carry 1911? small of the back just doesnt fit my 93FS.  I tend to only where tshirts most of the time and would always be printing

I carry mine on my strong hip(right side)... I use an ITWB holster from N82 Tactical, very form fitting, and comfortable...I carry the original ( http://n82tactical.com/n82store/?page_id=1792 ) ... I wear tee-shirts and Polo's mostly... it sometimes will "print" or show, but Printing is not Illegal in ohio, and Open carry is legal even for a None CCW individual.

If you looking for a very comfortable holster, I would strongly suggest you look into these, and they are super cheap so if you don't like it, your not breaking the bank, but I will bet you'll like it.... I don't carry in the small of my back for a few reasons, 1. it is a PITA to sit down, and 2. to comfortably grab it the cant of the gun would have to make the gun completely upside down to be able to naturally grab it.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 21:50:24 »
I used to carry a ruger P89 full frame 9mm, loved the gun but was a brute to carry. It was best to carry under my bike jacket or lower back ( sucked when you forgot it was there and sat down to hard lol )

yea i got a IWB and I put it in my back.

if u get an inside the waste band holster and can hid them a lot better

No doubt! flop down in a car seat...

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 21:52:12 »
My ITWB allows me to sit very comfortably in my car... Never had a problem with its comfort.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 21:53:42 »
I carry mine on my strong hip(right side)... I use an ITWB holster from N82 Tactical, very form fitting, and comfortable...I carry the original ( http://n82tactical.com/n82store/?page_id=1792 ) ... I wear tee-shirts and Polo's mostly... it sometimes will "print" or show, but Printing is not Illegal in ohio, and Open carry is legal even for a None CCW individual.

If you looking for a very comfortable holster, I would strongly suggest you look into these, and they are super cheap so if you don't like it, your not breaking the bank, but I will bet you'll like it.... I don't carry in the small of my back for a few reasons, 1. it is a PITA to sit down, and 2. to comfortably grab it the cant of the gun would have to make the gun completely upside down to be able to naturally grab it.

I actually have one similar to that.  I bought it left handed so i could have it handle to the right in my back.  So that would make it backwards for my strong side. 

My shirts just arent long enough i guess. if i bent over or what not, i would completly come uncovered

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 21:55:19 »
i carry a full frame s/w 40 and  sometimes if my shirt is to short it will show
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 21:56:03 »
My shirts just arent long enough i guess. if i bent over or what not, i would completly come uncovered

I have this problem sometimes, but unless your bothered by it, its almost expected and normal to happen... I am larger than you though so my shirts are naturally more "baggy" not that I buy them that way though haha

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 21:57:34 »
i have been buying my shrits a little longer to make me feal better lol
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 23:17:44 »
Those look like nice holsters. May have to look into picking one up. I don't carry off-duty cuz I don't have a good way to carry my G22. I usually wear t-shirts.

Offline discus513

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 00:33:33 »
Yeah, I used to carry my Sig P-232 but it gets a little unconfortable, I can only imagine a big 1911. I normally carry my little 38 daranger now. It only has two shots, but it a close up battle, that little thing could make all the difference. I tried the paddle style holster for my sig but it was way to big and bulky, in the winter time it is defintly easier to concel

Offline discus513

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 00:47:31 »
yea i got a IWB and I put it in my back.

No doubt! flop down in a car seat...

I looked at that website, I cant see a whole lot of difference from the original to the tuckable original. have you seen both? I am interested in maybe picking one up. it says there is a dealer in belfontaine, isnt that up near Dayton?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 01:29:12 »
I really don't know why everyone thinks a 1911 is soo hard to carry/ conceal... it is a rather slim model granted the government models are big, but it is single stack so aside from its weight is is really easy to conceal... the officer models are even easier to carry. I love my 1911.. I would like to go from my full frame kimber to a ultra carry for those summer days though...maybe at christmas ;)

As for the N82 holsters they are great, they are made in the usa out of a small shop ran by two marines... The are super comfrotable... I ordered mine direct from them and got it 2 days later in the mail... I have turned several people on to them and noone has said anything but good things about them... the original and tuckable versions are a PITA to reholster once you have drawn your arm, but in my opinion if I ever needed to draw it isn't going back in right away... if that is a problem for you they now nhave a hard cased plastic model that is a lot easier to reholster, but you sacrifice alittle bit of the concealment as it's a bit bulkier

As for the tuckable and original go... the only difference in the two is the the tuckable has a V shaped peice of metal between the holster and the clip that secures on to your pants... thet v shaped peice of metal allows you to tuck your shirt into it and still able to conceal the arm... the original the shirt has to either be untucked or if it is tucked in it would be tucked in behind the firearm allowing it to be seen.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:36:31 by Boonjob »

Offline discus513

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 01:37:05 »
O okay, well I dont tuck in my shirt unless I am at work, and we are not aloud to carry at work so I may pickup one of the originals soon. Thanks.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 09:33:53 »
but it is single stack so aside from its weight is is really easy to conceal...

Ohh yea... thats right....

Maybe i should just conceal a slingshot in my cargo pockets or something... :)