2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bally's Aquapod  (Read 6546 times)

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
Bally's Aquapod
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:09:38 »
I picked up an Aquapod from craigslist about 6 months ago. It came with the hood and lighting, skimmer, pump, sand and about 5lbs of rock. I ended up tossing the sand, I figured it'd just be a nitrate bomb and more trouble than it was worth and replaced it with bagged live sand. The rock was covered in razor caulerpa, the man who sold me the tank said it was good to have in a tank because it absorbed excess nutrients....I ALMOST have it all eradicated... I replaced the bulbs with Coralife 28w bulbs, and bought some fullly cured rock from my LFS.
These were my first test results
Calcium - 400
dKH - 11
Phosphate - .5
Nitrate - 5

I was going through old pictures and saw this, I really hope these aren't sundial snails...

I waited about 2 weeks and let things stable out and then added my clean up crew.

8 astrea snails
2 turbos
5 blue leg hermits
2 scarlet hermits
1 emerald crab - I opted out of this one and got a peppermint shrimp instead
3 nessarius snails - they were out of this so I was given a cucumber instead

had a friend send me about 20lbs of rock and here's the scape I had come up with

My female clown at the LFS while she was being paired up

finally paired!

more rearranging

readings before fish were introduced
Ca2+ - 400
KH - 10dKH/179
Po4 - .25
NO3- *- .25
NH3/NH4+ - 0
NO- *- 0

First pictures in the tank!

First ever coral!

Bonus Mushy!

Bought a Long Spine Urchin in hope that it'd munch on my caulerpa

Majanos >.<
these were quickly dispatched via lemon juice injections

Gorilla crab
I was really lucky with this little fella, I was looking at the tank and saw him in the sand bed and  pulled him out into a cup of tank water and began researching...once I discovered his true identity I took him to my LFS and he became puffer food.

my shrimp gives manicures :D

My emotional leather...

Bought a BTA for the clowns :)
This was my original place for the nem, hoping it'd stay put

It moved a little bit that night

And finally settled back in where I put him :D

His foot goes all the way to the sand bed :)

About 2 weeks after the nem was in, my female began hosting :)

I then discovered brown flat worms in my tank and went and bought a six line wrasse, while I was there my LFS had hammer frags for 20$ (they normally don't have those frags and the whole hammer runs about 90$)

Did some rearranging to find a spot for the hammer.

All corals nice and open

Picked up 3 new corals to fill in the center. I thought I had bought a Duncan, moon coral, and a ricordia mushy. It turns out it was really a Duncan, an Acan echinata, and a fuzzy mushroom.

Duncan and Fuzzy Mushy eating PE mysis

Flipflopped the mushroom and the acan in the rockwork, acan was starting to look a little bleached at the tips. This is the tank as it stands today :)

Thanks for reading!!
As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Bally's Aquapod
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:32:55 »
Your tank looks great!

LOVE all the pics :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 13:10:39 »
Awesome tank.   Great pics. 

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 13:28:14 »
makes me get excited about starting a smaller tank :)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline buk

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 15:28:46 »
nice looking tank. seems you really take pride in it. keep up the good work

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 15:38:19 »
the tank looks great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 20:18:37 »
Great pics, nice looking tank.  Seems you had quite a few problems with pests.

I nominate you to get a gold star for providing pics.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 20:46:27 »
This is the first time my female has let my male clown in the nem. She usually chases him away and he "hosts" the upper corner of the tank while she's in the nem, he doesn't leave her side when she comes out though :)

I have had a lot of pests but I'm fortunate that they have all been "easy" pests, and have been kept under control  *knocks on wood* they were a great learning experience.
As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 21:50:12 »
picked up a new coral today :)

Caulastrea furcata aka candy cane coral

rearranged a little bit to put it up high on the rock work, as I read they need high light under power compacts I think. A lot of what I read seems to be conflicting, so I plan on starting it there and any sign of bleaching I'll move it down.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 22:08:49 »
I have mine in a shaded part of the tank, my lights are 250w halides but the par down where they are is probably around 100. So its pretty low light.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 22:18:16 »
hmmmm I'll have to see about moving it then. I could switch either my acan or my fuzzy mushroom with it, but that puts it  close to my nem when it's out during the day so I'd have to keep an eye on that too....I just need to upgrade and problem solved :P

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 22:30:37 »
Yep bigger tank always fixes things :)

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 22:32:01 »
I've already mailed my list to Santa and I've been a REALLY good girl :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 01:20:51 »
looks good +1 on a bigger tank
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 12:04:48 »
Not a good morning for my corals....
The trumpet fell which knocked the fuzzy mushy down and it landed on the acan. I pulled them apart and they were mushy where they were touching. The mushroom has release a small grey pearl from its mouth, which I'm assuming where it's insides.  :'(

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 12:50:53 »
sorry to hear that
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 14:53:32 »
Bummer, it has happened to most of us

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 16:41:07 »
yup more than once
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 17:01:09 »
Hopefully the mushroom survives. It's mouth is still intact and it's open

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 21:42:13 »
ya he should be fine
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 21:44:35 »
Yea it will happen many more times, trust me I have lost a few of my favorite corals due to some fall overs in the past.

Offline buk

• Juvenile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 08:39:56 »
yeah it could always be worse. i have a bunghole of a pistol shrimp that i swear can somehow sense expensive. two weekends ago i finally found a small frag of reverse prism favia and it made my wallet about $90 lighter. well the shrimp let it stay for 1 day then took a 5 head frag of duncans and sat them frag plug up on top of the favia. i was less than happy

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 10:14:49 »
Get some putty... a little goes a long way.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 10:32:17 »
What kind of putty? I tried superglue but it was a pain to use

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 11:21:12 »
What kind of putty? I tried superglue but it was a pain to use

Underwater work is hard.  If you can, take the rock out, and then glue the frag to the rock out of water.   The same goes for the 2 part epoxy.

This is the same stuff that Hunger posted, but from one of our sponsors.

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/ROWA-EP-G.html

Also comes in Coraline Algae color
http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/ROWA-EP-P.html

I prefer this brand over the cheaper brands like aquamend.   Then even with putty, I will put a generous helping of superglue gel on it to give it better adhesion to the rockwork.

The trick to using superglue gel underwater is put a large enough ball of glue on the frag.   When the glue hits the water the surface of the glue will instantly skin over.  However when you place the frag, the skin will break letting the glue ooze out onto the rock.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 12:26:48 »
I can remove the one piece the trumpet is on to glue it down, but not the others.  I'll give that putty a shot, is it the same method for using it underwater as the superglue?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 12:36:23 »
I can remove the one piece the trumpet is on to glue it down, but not the others.  I'll give that putty a shot, is it the same method for using it underwater as the superglue?

What I do with the putty is the following.

1) Make sure you test the location where you want the frag.
2) Take the equal parts of each part of the epoxy putty.    Kneed them together until you have an even color.
3) Take Superglue gel and put a generous glob on the side that is touching the rock.
4) Put the putty on the rock.
5) Put a good glob of superglue gel on the frag, then stick the frag into the putty.

If you are sticking the putty into a good deep hole in the rock, and there is a nice stem on the frag to stick into the putty, you can skip the superglue.    But if you are attaching to a flat part of the rock, the superglue really helps.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 17:48:26 »
well said
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 18:30:29 »

2) Take the equal parts of each part of the epoxy putty.    Kneed them together until you have an even color.
3) Take Superglue gel and put a generous glob on the side that is touching the rock.
5) Put a good glob of superglue gel on the frag, then stick the frag into the putty.

If you are sticking the putty into a good deep hole in the rock, and there is a nice stem on the frag to stick into the putty, you can skip the superglue.    But if you are attaching to a flat part of the rock, the superglue really helps.

+1 thats how I do it.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 19:26:08 »

+1

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 20:15:38 »
My nem has doubled in size :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 21:35:05 »
thats great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 14:14:11 »
Some picture updates :)

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2011, 17:03:00 »
Great looking progress!  :smiley-happy112:

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 17:30:28 »
looks great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 19:49:06 »

Wtf nem. I don't get this creature.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 21:04:22 »
it likes the flow and the light
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 05:17:33 »

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 14:01:00 »
Been there, done that.. :)

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2012, 21:51:13 »
A few updates....
I set up a 5gal tank to act as a pod farm and had that running for a few weeks then added a psychedelic mandarin to my aquapod.

My mandarin was eating cyclopeeze when I got him and now he is eating mysis, not as rapidly as i'd like but progress is progress is progress

These are the fish that inhabit my former pod farm now that my mandarin is eating mysis

I also got some brain corals from my LFS that are doing really well.

My nem has finally settled in a new place that I really like, and my Duncans have some awesome new growth. I'll get a picture of these when I get home tomorrow

So it begins....

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2012, 23:08:51 »
I am having one small issue with my tank thought. My six line wrasse has been bullying my peppermint shrimp, I've noticed he's missing a leg. I'm assuming its the wrasse as the clowns coexisted with it just fine and the wrasse is the only one who goes into the rock work. I am trying to think of a way to lure it out and put it in my little tank with the gobies. Any suggestions on how to catch the little bugger would be appreciated!

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2012, 00:15:05 »
Might be easier to catch the shrimp.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, 00:16:00 »
Might be easier to catch the shrimp.

That's what I meant, sorry for the lack of clarity.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 00:18:58 »
I have always had fair success at night with some food in a net  or luring them to the surface at night then netting them.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2012, 00:28:10 »
Just have'em give you another manicure >:D or use a type of food the shrimp likes. Try turning all the lights off in the room that the tank is in (except the tank lights, or maybe try them off and a low ambient exterior light on) and use a net.

Maybe try a soda, or water bottle with some food in it, and a string tied to it ???

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2012, 15:24:02 »
Here are the pictures as promised. My nem is on the move as usual. It stung my green brain pretty badly :(

It then wandered off to the back left hand corner.

Here is my little goby tank.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2012, 16:53:09 »
looks good
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Rob

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2012, 10:02:31 »
Looks great!
Rob

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 21:53:02 »

Light comes in tomorrow, already have the tank, skimmer and a heater. I will be adding a second powerhead and heater as money permits.

So the tank swap will probably be happening this weekend. The fish are going to the LFS for a week or so while everything is swapped.
I'm going to put down egg crate and put in my rocks, I think I'm going with a large and small island set up, mainly so I have space to place my brains, trumpet, and acans in the sand so I can easily place a "feeding cap'' over them. Eventually I construct an arch structure to connect the islands, either out of cured rock or base rock not quite sure yet. Then I will add the new sand and cap it with the old sand as to not trap that stuff on the bottom. Let things run for a few days and keep an eye on my levels to make sure everything is stable before I bring my babies back home :)

Any suggestions to make this transition easier will be much appreciated!

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 21:55:46 »

I gotta say what an extremely nice stand you have there!

Are you going to run any type of sump?

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 21:57:45 »
Thanks!
Not bad for a girl who failed 8th grade shop!

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2012, 22:01:20 »
Thanks!
Not bad for a girl who failed 8th grade shop!

Your very welcome. I'm guessing you had things other than 8th grade shop on your mind at the time. lol I couldn't tell, that's for sure.   
 What lighting did you go with?

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2012, 22:05:34 »
Your very welcome. I'm guessing you had things other than 8th grade shop on your mind at the time. lol I couldn't tell, that's for sure.   
 What lighting did you go with?

I thought the class was stupid and I didn't care about welding a tin box or making a silly lamp.
I'm going with a CoraLife T5 4 bulb, this one specifically http://www.marineandreef.com/36_inch_4_lamp_Coralife_Lunar_Aqualight_T5_Light_p/res08606.htm

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 22:13:19 »
I thought the class was stupid and I didn't care about welding a tin box or making a silly lamp.
I'm going with a CoraLife T5 4 bulb, this one
Not able to access from that link, but I figured it out.
http://www.marineandreef.com/36_inch_4_lamp_Coralife_Lunar_Aqualight_T5_Light_p/res08606.htm
Impressive light.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2012, 22:15:27 »
Not able to access from that link, but I figured it out.
I'm not sure how to make the link blue and clickable lol

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 22:39:27 »
great job on the stand
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 00:07:26 »
Link is fixed

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2012, 06:10:40 »
I'm not sure how to make the link blue and clickable lol

I don't think it was anyhing you were doing wrong.

Link is fixed

Thanks yet again Brian.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2012, 09:33:48 »
Thanks for fixing that link!

It's  time for this thread to come to a close. The aquapod has been taken down and transformed into something much larger, more high tech and ripe with possibilities.

Thank you for everyone's dedication and interest in this thread, I can't wait to see what the future holds and hope you will make that journey with me :)

-Lauren