2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bally's 40B  (Read 10834 times)

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
Bally's 40B
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:01:09 »
Well the breeder got off to a great start equipment wise, but not so well at all live stock wise...

I removed all the LR from my tank and put it in a large cooler with water to keep the most of my cycle. I put the nem in a bucket because I wasn't sure how to deal with that at the moment. I put the corals in a second bucket. Bagged the nem, then caught the fish. Here's where I messed up... By the time I had everyone out I had nearly run out of water so I bagged the fish with the water from the bucket where the nem was. I bagged the clowns together and the 6 line wrasse, mandarin dragonette and peppermint shrimp all in one bag. Take them to the Salty Critter and they began to acclimate them to their tanks (they're babysitting while I do my upgrade). Begin to float the bag and realize all the fish are stressed and the peppermint has the mandarin in his clutches and the manny isn't moving.... He instantly opens the bag and the mandarin is able to swim off. The clowns were looking gaspy so he let them out as well and they are swimming around hip to hip, they wont leave each other..... A near disaster avoided I hope. I will of course be going up there today to check on my babies.

And here is the good news.... I'll let pictures do most of the talking :)
This is the tanks permanant location. I hit one speed bump in the set up. The tank has 2 thin walls on the back, one on each side of a 2x4 that runs up the center, so there is about a 2.5 inch gap between them. On the outside there are 2 holes drilled in the upper corners so the cords can run into the back of the frame and then the inner wall has 2 holes drilled to bring the cords into the tank, so there is nothing hanging on the back. Well when making the holes I forgot that outlets are in the middle of the wall not low or high, so I had to drill a hole in the center to allow the cord in so the tank can be flush against the wall.

My LFS gave me some egg crate pieces that I was able to tetris into a full bottom to go under my LR.

Here's the LR formation I've come up with and seem to like so far. The large heater will be removed once the tank is up to temp.

I still need to move my sand from the 30 over I didn't want to move everything over while it was so cold, because of the crabs and feather dusters and such. Then grab a bag or two more and get another power head once some funds free up, or I can find one on craigslist or something. I'd like to have my fish back by monday (Salty Critter is closed tues and weds) but I want to monitor levels to watch for a mini cycle.
As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."

Offline CoRaL[NaTe]81

• Fry
Re: Bally's 40B
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 11:26:51 »
That cabinet/stand looks good with the tank I myself like a tank higher than the norm great work so far cant wait to see it finished... :be happy:

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 15:52:42 »
Now if I could only get my skimmer working....
As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 17:08:31 »
I'm such an idiot... I had a piece in upside down... Slimmer works now lol

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 17:19:39 »
That is looking really good. Reconsider the eggcrate. It traps detritus pretty bad. I learned my lesson from this. They sand sifting pods, worms, snails etc.. can't keep it clean down in there.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 17:42:41 »
That is looking really good. Reconsider the eggcrate. It traps detritus pretty bad. I learned my lesson from this. They sand sifting pods, worms, snails etc.. can't keep it clean down in there.

It's already under sand and rock :\
I could probably get it out. I'd have to move the LR at the very least.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 20:33:20 »
I'm such an idiot... I had a piece in upside down... Slimmer works now lol

Your killin' me smalls...

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 20:51:23 »

Your killin' me smalls...

I had the wedge piece in the return with the wedge facing up....
Can you tell I'm a natural blonde >.<

But good news! I went and checked on my fish and they all came right to the glass to see me. My wrasse was loving all the swimming length so she'll be pumped to come to her new home. Mandarin was hovering around and flairing at snails. And the clowns begging for food as usual :D

I moved the sand from my aquapod into the 40B and did my first testing. I only tested ammonia which was 0. I'll do the rest in the morning, well let's not kid ourselves  after noon because I don't plan on getting up before noon since I don't have work or school :P

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 21:34:34 »
thats good tank looks good
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 09:56:20 »
Thanks hunger!

I have an ammonia spike of .5 today, 0 nitrate and 0 nitrite. So basically I'm starting with a "fresh" tank it appears

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 20:02:37 »

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 21:22:13 »
THEY'RE HOME!

My mandarin and wrasse don't know what to do with their reflection lol they keep yelling at themselves :p
The clowns are doing laps up and down, not sure what to do with all that length lol.
Corals will be coming home next week probably. I also bought another 7 lbs of LR and well be getting a few more lbs soon :)

Guess who got a season pass to the Cleveland aquarium?
This girl!!
Happy birthday week to me!

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 21:26:38 »
Guess who got a season pass to the Cleveland aquarium?

Not to gank your tank thread...How is that aquarium? The wife and I have planned to hit up as many as we can this year, We are going to hit up the Atlanta aquarium when I go to visit my sister... and we are going to the shedd's in Chicago with some friends... wouldn't mind finding a reason to head to Cleveland to see another aquarium as well.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 21:34:50 »
they look happy
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 21:42:35 »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY  :-Rock

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 21:49:23 »
Not to gank your tank thread...How is that aquarium? The wife and I have planned to hit up as many as we can this year, We are going to hit up the Atlanta aquarium when I go to visit my sister... and we are going to the shedd's in Chicago with some friends... wouldn't mind finding a reason to head to Cleveland to see another aquarium as well.
I haven't been yet, it opens on Saturday which awesomely enough is my actually birthday! Couldn't ask for anything better, well except maybe someone to go with. I'm cool enough to go alone haha   :beee:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY  :-Rock

Thank you!!

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 21:52:32 »

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 19:22:15 »

Added some more rock :)

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 19:24:27 »
Great looking aquascaping! Nice coloration of the rock!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 21:18:19 »
great rock work
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 14:48:05 »
I like the middle area. Really adds depth.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 17:05:20 »
Love the aquascaping, keep us posted.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 18:17:40 »
Picked up a few things today...
My grandparents gave me a 40$ gift card so I bought this little darling

Then I find my self to be drawn to acan lords, so I picked up this beauty. They retail at 150$, but the owner of the salty critter sold it to be for 89$. He's a super guy!

Brought all my corals home today as well :)

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 20:23:23 »
Just ordered a Ice Cap ballast from Salty Critter Friday. Seems to be a great place, it was a killer deal on the ballast. Due to the company being bought out (I think by vertex). 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 20:25:07 »
Those are some nice acans
SIZE DOES MATTER