2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: dwarf lionfish in a reef tank  (Read 1029 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
dwarf lionfish in a reef tank
« on: July 20, 2012, 17:18:27 »
Going on the lines of viggen wanting the clown trigger, has anyone seen or had a lion fish in a full on sps reef tank?  I know one of the regular lions would get way too big in my 180 but I was wondering about the little dwarf lions?  You got me thinking Gary.
Jeff

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: dwarf lionfish in a reef tank
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 20:58:28 »
I have seen dwarf lions in mixed reef tanks. The problem is not the corals as much as it is small fish & inverts. Even a dwarf lion fish can take out a nice size fish. It will eat anything it can fit in its mouth.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 21:54:44 »
the smallest fish that I have is a yellow tail damsel.  But I do have several pepermint shrimp and one cleaner shrimp.  That is too bad since a lionfish is just too cool.
Jeff

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 22:30:28 »
I've seen pictures on reef central of a bangaii cardinal in a dwarfs mouth.  Damsel and shrimp would not fare well.  I had a dwarf several years ago in my reef and never had a problem, but got rid of it just because it wasn't nearly as active as my other reef fish.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 22:44:59 »
Lions are cool.... I had a few over the years and like stated anything that fits in their mouth will become food someday. Thus groupers and lion fish can be some of the most expensive fish to own due to what they eat :(
300g tub o fish