2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 8 foot long acrylic tank  (Read 2972 times)

Offline snaregat21

• Fry
8 foot long acrylic tank
« on: March 10, 2014, 17:10:32 »
In need of a 240 to 300 acrylic tank. Must be 8 foot long and drilled.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
Re: 8 foot long acrylic tank
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 17:43:40 »
In need of a 240 to 300 acrylic tank. Must be 8 foot long and drilled.

Anything else? Welcome to Ohio Reef.

Offline snaregat21

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 22:14:08 »
Thank you! I am in the process of putting a shark/ray tank together. I am sure you will see me a lot on here.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 00:00:49 »
I can ask a friend in Columbus if he has any or knows of any.  He asked me a few weeks ago to help him take down a shark tank but I didn't have time to go along.  We installed the tank 8 or so years ago.... Housed black tip reef sharks :)

Do you have a dollar amount you need to stay under?
300g tub o fish

Offline snaregat21

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 21:56:35 »
I would like to stay under 2200 because I was quoted that for a new system from a lfs near me.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 22:28:35 »
I will ask..... And see what he has if anything

Depending on the sharks a 8ft 240/300g is way to small
300g tub o fish

Offline Viggen

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 22:39:23 »
Waiting on a price for a 8ft 300g, suppose to be a complete setup.  Not a clue if its a good deal or way overpriced.....
300g tub o fish

Offline snaregat21

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 07:43:04 »
Ok thanks just let me know

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 12:36:39 »
If you aren't set on having it acrylic, I have an 8ft 240 gallon with stand. No major scratches. Comes with stand and overflow already drilled. Pics are on the Selling Lucy's tank thread.

Offline snaregat21

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 15:04:09 »
I really need an acrylic due to the fact of it being on the first floor above a basement. I have all glass now and I am always worried. Plus I will be moving in the next few years and do not want a heavy tank to go with me.

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 15:11:45 »
No worries. But, it is a helluva set up for $400...

Offline snaregat21

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 15:12:55 »
not bad at all. I am afraid to put my 210 up for sale now lol

Offline Viggen

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 15:32:57 »
If its in descent shape $400 is hard to pass up

Yes glass is quite a bit more difficult to move.... Where 2 people could easily move a acrylic tank 6-8 would be what you would want on glass...... However for the money savings its worth a consideration!

Weight wise, the extra 300lbs or whatever it is might add 10% to the weight of the system, I wouldn't base not going with glass just in that :)

300g tub o fish

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 16:32:43 »
If its in descent shape $400 is hard to pass up

Yes glass is quite a bit more difficult to move.... Where 2 people could easily move a acrylic tank 6-8 would be what you would want on glass...... However for the money savings its worth a consideration!

Weight wise, the extra 300lbs or whatever it is might add 10% to the weight of the system, I wouldn't base not going with glass just in that :)

plus you don't have the headache of cleaning acrylic.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 17:14:43 »

That is what tow trucks are for. Har har
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Viggen

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 17:16:50 »
Acrylic is far from a headache
300g tub o fish

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 19:00:39 »
Acrylic is far from a headache

cleaning and scratching?

Offline Andy bays

• Juvenile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 19:01:54 »
I got a 475 gallon glass tank on my first floor in a house that was built in 1900 I was scared for a minuted but the floors never budged or made a screetch its an l shaped tank

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 19:09:38 »
Just out of curiosity, have you ever had acrylic? They look great until you clean the glass a few times.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 21:31:11 »
cleaning and scratching?

Mine would be a lot easier if it wasn't 10ft long thus cleaning takes some time but its still far from difficult.  Ever noticed all the public auqariums how they are always just loaded with scratches where you can't see inside the aquarium and that all large aquariums are glass?  I have never noticed that either..... Simple caution is all that's needed.  Yes they can scratch a lot easier vs glass...... Being a little caution is all that's needed

Just out of curiosity, have you ever had acrylic? They look great until you clean the glass a few times.

FYI - If your tank is acrylic then you will not be cleaning the glass..... Then again I am the guy that you called locker-rooming his fish thus what do I know
300g tub o fish

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 22:12:47 »
FYI - If your tank is acrylic then you will not be cleaning the glass..... Then again I am the guy that you called locker-rooming his fish thus what do I know

Youch. My apologies, should have said sides not glass.  Also, I was under the impression that locker rooming was a way to get larger fish with same sized personalities to get along. (taking them all into an unfamiliar place at the same time, so no one has the territory so they are more likely to get along) I might have misused the phrase...

In reference to what I made mention of earlier, about cleaning.  Almost every acrylic tank I've seen (Viggen's excluded because I have not seen it) someone got sloppy. A small piece of sand made it's way between magnets, using the hand scrubbers something caused marring, god forbid someone have a few drinks and then think "the tank could use a wipe down", etc. 

There are some phenomenal acrylic tanks out there, and if that is the route you want there are many reasons to go that way.  Weight, clarity, earthquake proofing,  I'm sure the list goes on.

Offline snaregat21

• Fry
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 07:51:37 »
Well I am doing a shark/ray tank. What opinions does everyone have on glass vs. acrylic on that one? I understand the scratching from cleaning but I have caution when it comes to tanks. I wont have any powerful lights so keeping algae under control is no problem.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 08:42:50 »
If you have introduced coraline algae and it is growing fast it can be difficult to remove if it gets away from you. If you don't mind it on the back and sides of tank then no worries. The biggest risk to scratching is setup time when adding rock and when cleaning but if you are careful with it should be okay. I personally would never buy a acrylic display tank because I like to keep the tank walls clean. A 10 minute scraping with a metal blade every other week makes quick work of the algae. Doing it with a plastic scraper would be much more maintenance then I would be willing to do. There are many pros to acrylic, cleaning isn't one of them.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 14:23:12 »
glass is the way to go on small tanks however when tanks get large unless you have very deep pockets its just not cost effective for a large tank made of glass.  For my tank I think I purchased it 4-5 years ago..... and it was $3,000-3,500 for the tank delivered to my door from the manufacturer in Arizona (who is now out of business).  I considered a glass tank however shipping was approx 3 times the price of the acrylic tank, it was going to be in the $10,000-12,000+ area for a comparable glass tank and that not even considering how difficult it would of been to get into my house, present tank came in through a window.

Some people are just totally clueless on how to clean a acrylic tank, seen it many many times where people are careless and scratch the tank.  The V tank at Kettering hospital I helped a friend install the thing and would visit when he would service it due to being fun.... he got tired of driving from Columbus for servicing the tank and someone else picked up the job, if I recall it was either one of the sponsors of this site or their X employe..... I forget.  Anyways, I went back to look at the tank a few months later and the thing was trashed..... they did what so many people do and take the scraper into the sand bed then up and down the side of the tank..... Every see LA fish guys, they did something similar and more stupid :)  He would put the cleaning bad into the sand to stir the sand up then clean the acrylic.... and stated in the video they have drained it a few times to remove scratches from the acrylic.

A few months ago I did put a pretty big scratch on my tank :( I was cleaning the tank and wasn't paying attention.  The lid which is probably 30x24in and .75in thick slipped out of my hand, fell into the tank and hit the front of the tank very hard.  If it was glass.... my bet is the tank would of cracked from the impact.... I have to deal with a acrylic to acrylic scratch mark thats a few inches long... I should be able to remove it though

Yes corraline is a PITA to remove if you do not stay ahead of it.  Keeping ahead and cleaning the tank weekly its not a problem but waiting weeks is a big no-no. 

I do not use sand but crushed coral which can still stick to the cleaning pad.  I just stay 1-2 inches above the substrate with the pad and all is good... then use the scraper for the bottom inch or so. 

One thing that glass has that hopefully someday will be available on acrylic is the robosnail.  Automated glass cleaner would be AWESOME!  I would throw two of those on my tank in a second if they wouldn't mark up the tank and let them clean the tank daily.....

For sharks/Rays..... either material would be fine, its really more a matter of what type of sharks and rays that you want.  Sharks gets quite large usually 2ft long as a min as a adult with most if I recall being 4ft or longer.... thus a standard 8ft 240/300g would not be a good choice for them. 
300g tub o fish

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 20:53:07 »
Good inputs from someone who has long term experience with large acrylic tanks. Thanks for sharing Viggen.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 23:05:00 »
My glass tank has some pretty big scratches. Some from me before I figured out to how to clean the tank. So everything is prone to scratching.