2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Clove oil  (Read 1613 times)

Offline referinohio

• Adult
Clove oil
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:38:52 »
Well, it looks like I will have to break down my 125 due to going through a dissalusion. Ugh.
Since I have been out of the house for a couple of weeks now the tank has completly gone amuk.
Now all fishes are covered in Ich, come have cloudy eye and some with popeye. It is quite a disater right now.
corals are even bleaching out.
I need to break it down soon so was wondering if anyone has tried Clove Oil to euthanize fishes before.
Thanks
Coming soon 125 v2.0

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Clove oil
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 14:34:39 »
I have never used clove oil, however, when I have a fish that is beyond help I usually put them in a bag of water and place in the freezer. The best way I could come up with and not bother my conscience as bad.

Sorry to hear about the situation.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 15:01:09 »
If you would rather not kill them I might be able to cure them I have a qt tank setup and I'm experienced in treating ich with hypo
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 15:51:08 »
Appreciate the offer. Wopokoneta is a bit of a haul though.
Plus I have no Idea when I'll be setting this up again.
Have to buy house, furnish said house.
Damn this sucks. :(

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 18:07:27 »
What all fish do you have? If they are compatible I could just keep them till you are ready, depending when and how far I may be able to meet you halfway
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 18:52:17 »
I've used clove oil, put a few drops in and they'll get sleepy and eventually fade away quite peacefully. It's a bit like giving them a sedative and they just don't wake up.  Only use a few drops.  If after say an our they're still breathing then add a few more drops.  Oh put them each in a separate small container, and maybe cover the containers up so they're in the dark... Help them to relax.

I only did this when I had no other choice, with a betta fish that had a huge cancerous lump.

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 07:11:14 »
What all fish do you have? If they are compatible I could just keep them till you are ready, depending when and how far I may be able to meet you halfway
Currently have
1 Naso Tang about 6"
1 Sailfin tang about7"
1 Blue Hippo Tang about 5"
3 PJ Cardinals
1 Lamark angel
2 CLowns
1 Starry Blenny
lost 1 clown last night
I am about an hour and 15 minutes away.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 19:03:10 »
Most of these are compatible and I may be in huber heights next week