2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Phosphate Rx  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Humphrey

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Phosphate Rx
« on: August 20, 2016, 09:54:55 »
Does anyone use Phosphate Rx?  It seems to have good reviews and I'd love to ditch the GFO.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Phosphate Rx
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 15:24:38 »
Basically it is lanthanum chloride.  I use the swimming pool version of this chemical with good results but you have to be careful with it and drip it slowly.  The main idea is it will bind to the phos and you need to remove it before it gets into the main tank.  Alot of people drip it into a filter sock like where your overflow would dump into.  I drip it into a hard plastic air line that goes into the bottom of my skimmer with the hopes that the skimmer will remove the precipitate from the water column. The main issues that I have had over the past is removing too much phos too fast and possibly some getting back into the main tank.  Most all of my corals will tolerate it well but I have a couple that show some stn after dosing.  Never have known if it was from using too much or from some getting out of my skimmer and going back to the main tank.  I have had a bottle of it that I have used for years that only costs me maybe $25.  The equal amounts of gfo over the years would have been a lot of money and I have had issues with gfo causing some stn when I was using it so my bet is with the lanthanum. I have used an iv drip bag to dose with but I have never been real happy with this method.  I am currently working on a better method of regulating the drip.
jeff

Offline muttley000

• Juvenile
Re: Phosphate Rx
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 15:59:10 »
I use lanthanum chloride too.  I mix it in a 2 liter bottle and drip it into a 5 micron sock with a drip acclimator.  Ive read it can also lower alk if you are too aggressive or don't have enough phosphate to remove.  I run a mag 5 into a seven inch sock and let a drip every few seconds enter.  This appears to be a lifetime supply and is what I bought.  I mix 1 milliliter per liter of RODI
https://www.amazon.com/HaloSource-SeaKlear-Commercial-Strength-Phosphate