2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Mixing reef salts  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Mixing reef salts
« on: October 29, 2016, 23:18:46 »
I have a box of IORC, Fritz and Brightwell salts. Considering using all three mixed together, but not sure if I should. Any thoughts or suggestions? I could make this last for quite a while and it would be the most consistent way instead of using one kind then the other, again any suggestions appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:15:23 by Steve »

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Mixing reef salts
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 08:31:31 »
I mix salt, but let one mix before adding the next.

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 10:49:48 »
 Question can you mix all three in the dry state before you add them to the water with that be OK

Offline Kenn

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 11:14:04 »
I have a box of IORC, Fritz and Brightwell salts. Considering using all three mixed together, but not sure if I should. Any thoughts or suggestions? I could make this last for quite a while and it would be the most consistent way instead of using one kind then the other, again any suggestions appreciated.

You could make a small batch and test it.

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 12:22:16 »
I mix salt, but let one mix before adding the next.

Just curious as to what difference that makes?

Also, Brightwell's sight suggests when switching from one salt to another, that you do it at 5% percent volume on a weekly basis. This seems a little extreme. I usually do between a 1/4 to 1/3 water volume change each time. How do you guys do it when switching salt brands? I have used Reef Crystals for several years now. I used to switch back and forth from Red Sea to IO or IORC with no issues, but it has been a while.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 12:32:30 by Steve »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 13:38:46 »
I don't feel there is issue with switching salt brands. As long as when you are doing a water change the salinity, alk and temperature are reasonably close to tank parameters. Same would be for using same salt during water change. Ponder this, when you buy a coral it comes from a different tank, different water, lights, flow etc...

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 13:57:03 »
Makes a lot of sense Brian. I always check my parameters when mixing fresh saltwater and adjust if necessary, I have just never tried mixing 3 different salts. Appreciate everybodies input.