2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Muriatic Acid  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Humphrey

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Muriatic Acid
« on: January 25, 2017, 14:16:35 »
Giving Muriatic Acid a try instead of Vinegar to clean pumps/powerheads, coraline covered heaters/stuff.  Been using about 8z/gallon.

What concentration should I use?

Also, what do you use and why do you like it best?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Muriatic Acid
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 14:28:45 »
I did the math once and if recalling correctly 10ml of muriatic acid in a gallon of water is the same strength as a gallon of vinegar. It is something like 1g of acid equal to 40g of vinegar depending on the strength of the acid your buying. I typically just pour some in a 5g bucket without measuring. Maybe a cup or 2 if I want to clean something in 30 minutes to an hour.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 23:22:49 »
No wonder my stuff got clean so fast. Thanks!

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 21:21:20 »
I switched over to the acid as well. Had a power head that i just couldn't get clean with vinegar. I asked Lazy about one of his and he cleaned it in front of me in less then 30 min with acid.
And just to let everyone know i used the lower fumes type the first time and it doesn't work as good as the original

Offline billdogg

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 08:07:51 »
I'm either impatient, lazy, or both?  I use Muriatic acid and ~ 50% strength for anything thats all plastic, especially if it's really crusty.  The only thing I've found out (the hard way) is that impeller magnets will be destroyed pretty much instantly at that concentration. 

REMEMBER TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION, GLOVES, AND CLOTHES YOU DON'T LIKE ANYMORE ANYTIME YOU ARE WORKING WITH IT.  EVEN A TINY SPLASH IN YOUR EYE WILL REQUIRE IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!