2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: phosban reactor  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
phosban reactor
« on: February 03, 2008, 16:02:16 »
what are they good for?? I saw one at joel's for 30 bucks.  it has peaked my interest.

Offline cbell

• Juvenile
Re: phosban reactor
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 16:16:30 »
rowa phos or cardon. in my opinion, everyone should be using rowaphos if you keep sps coral or have any algae

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 16:49:34 »
You put a pump on one end, which pumps water slowly through a phosphate media like Rowaphos, Phosban, etc.  The water then empties back into the tank just from the pressure. 

If you have any algae, you'll notice a HUGE difference with one.  My tank tells me whenever I need to change the media because my rocks go from gray colored (where there isn't coralline yet) to green. 

I think they're one of the cheapest modifications to your system for the result they give.

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 18:17:56 »
can you hang it on a sump?  what type of pump do you need for it

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 19:44:20 »
Most phosphate reactors hang on the side of a sump or sit next to the sump (made to do either option). 

Generally you want as small as a pump as possible.  If you put too big of a pump on it, the flow will grind the media to very fine particles...which can kill fish.  Just get one of those tiny pumps...like 30-150gph type.  You'll probably only need a head loss of about 12" capability on it. 

I think my pump is a Via Aqua or something like that.  I have it set on the lowest flow setting too.  It's a tiny little pump.