2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hydor Koralia  (Read 1068 times)

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
Hydor Koralia
« on: March 21, 2008, 21:01:10 »
I bought one of these tonight, the Koralia 2, which says its puts out 600GPH. For the price i thought what the heck this should be fine to my 30 gal that i already have a Maxi jet 1200 in. After plugging it in it made a loud noise then started to run smoothly, but i noticed there wasn’t much added movement in the tank. The only thing i see moving more than before is a small curly Q nem. This thing wouldn't even kick up the sand from about 12in above it pointed directly at it. Granted it does not blow straight, but more of a circular spray movement.

Has anyone ever bought one of these or had the same problem that i am having? It just doesn’t seem to have the power i thought it would have.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
Re: Hydor Koralia
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 22:03:18 »
I have the opposite I have two #2's in a 90 and it is plenty of flow, The Koralia isnt designed to blast out water like a jet stream it is designed to generate a lot of flow over a broader area.  I didn't put the cone that keeps snails out on mine, did you?

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 23:20:42 »
Yes, i did put the snail guard on it.

I just went and took it off and it is much, much better now. As soon as i took it off it launched a shell about 10" across the bottom.

Thanks, that seemed to help alot.

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 02:38:49 »
I have a #2, and a #3 in a 29 gallon soon to be a 50 gallon tank, and love them both. I am thinking that I am going to order an extra propeller for the #3, and put it inside the #2 to make it a #3 as well. I am not sure if this will work or not but both pumps are the same dimensions.