2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Gravity versus Feed Pump Skimmer Debate  (Read 11972 times)

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
Re: Gravity versus Feed Pump Skimmer Debate
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2010, 11:22:22 »
One quick question as I'm reading this thread.  I debated on making a new one, but the answer to this question is relevant to the info in this thread. 

If 'all' the water from gravity feed doesn't make it through the skimmer, where does the other water go?  So if your skimmer needs 300 gph, and you are pumping 1200 gph through the overflows, obviously most of the dirty water will be recirculated through the T or other overflow if dual.  Am I missing something?   

I guess the argument is still valid, that if the skimmer needs 300 gph, you want to make sure it is the dirtiest 300 gph you can get, gravity feed via overflow box being the 'dirtiest'.  Just looking at upgrading my old AquaC to a recirc model - this is the start of my plumbing research.

I also have a little concern over my overflows in my allglass 120 with durso pipes.  Obviously, the water overflows in to the corner 'cage', and then up through the durso.  This seems like a round-about way for the 'top' skimmed water to even get to the sump.  Wouldn't alot of the detrius get trapped in my corner sections?  Seems like it would be best to not have 'tank high' corner sections where water/solids can get trapped? 

- Ray

Offline Viggen

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2010, 13:21:37 »
if your skimmer gets 300gph the other 900gph just bypasses the skimmer which is totally fine.  The hardest part is to ensure the water going into the skimmer is constant & not filled with lots of air bubbles & keeps a constant pressure.  If that can't be done then using a feed pump in the sump might be a better/safer option. 

300g tub o fish

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2010, 19:50:22 »
I still use a filter sock on the out flow side of my protein skimmer. Althought the skimmer does put lots of junk out, particulate matter still gets thru it and the sock catches it.
thats a great idea
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2010, 20:19:33 »

Yes nice idea!