2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Water changes  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Dstyles

• Got to keep on pushing!
  • Adult
Water changes
« on: February 23, 2009, 18:05:13 »
I have 120 gallon set up with a 30 gallon sump.  So far I do a 15 - 20 gallon water change every Tuesday.  What are the pros and cons of this and should I do this change every two weeks instead of every week??? 
One Day At A Time

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Water changes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 18:16:08 »
For my 150g, I'm planning to do approximately the same ratio.  On my 40g, I do 10% water changes weekly.  I find that it helps maintain levels where they should be.  I don't like doing less frequent water changes for several reasons.  First, you inspect the tank less (believe it or not, it'll happen over time.)  Next, pollutants can really build up.  Your levels can drop too drastically. 

It's always a case-by-case basis...depending on how much you feed, skim, and your bio-load.  But, I think your plan is a solid one.  :)

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 18:35:34 »
I certainly need to upgrade my skimmer but can not do that just yet.  Are there any negatives for doing that amount of water at those intervals?
One Day At A Time

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 19:13:24 »
You could get into a debate over "stability" of a system, but in my opinion, doing smaller more frequent water changes, you're more stable than a sudden large water change less often.  I think there are many more benefits to weekly water changes than bi-weekly, monthly, or whatever.  Frequent water changes can help make up what your skimmer isn't doing. 

I personally can't think of any negatives other than the time it'll consume on your end.  "The solution to pollution is dilution".  :) 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 07:39:13 »
If you had the time, doing water changes as often as daily would not harm your aquarium but small weekly exchanges should yield good results. Bi weekly may as well, it all depends on the load your system has and the efficiency of your filtration equipment.

Regular small removal and replacement of aquarium water is very beneficial to all aquariums. It'll dilute / remove what you don't want there and replenish the elements that are being consumed by the inhabitants and natural processes.

Large and or less frequent water changes are not ideal for numerous reasons. This practice allows organics to accumulate and often lends itself to an unstable environment.

As per weather or not the water change method your doing is adequate, the only thing that can truly answer that question is what your test kits are telling you. There is no such thing as an accurate suggestion as to how much and how often aquariums need water removed and replaced. I hear all kinds of recommendations offered by the so called experts but the bottom line is, an aquarium needs what it needs.

Your test kits are what will show you what to do.

Joel

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 07:49:28 »
I test once a week also and the parameters are great.  I want to get a feel for what others are doing when it comes to water changes. 
One Day At A Time

Offline rmstevensiii

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 07:59:15 »
20-25 gals / month on the 90 and 5-6 gals / month on the 29.  I was doing the same on the 75 prior to the upgrade.  Sounds huge, but I've been doing it this way since I started the tanks.  Seems to work well for my system.  Your mileage may vary.

M
Dayton - 45459

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 10:40:30 »
I have seen your set up and it looks helthy and wonderful!!! 
One Day At A Time

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 12:07:16 »
Water changes are absolutely a case by case basis. Browsing RC I saw an amazing tank - no skimmer - rare water changes. Other like the TOTM do constant water changes.

I would test different things and see how your critters respond.

Some people have issues with large water changes because it may spike their PH. Other have issues with rare large water changes because their refractometer has not been calibrated and they drop or raise their salinity!

There are too many variable to define what is best. I like doing water changes when I am in the mood to do them - thats how I work  ;D 

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 13:12:02 »
What is TOTM?
One Day At A Time

slandis3

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 13:14:20 »
tank of the month. If you go to reefcentral.com the tank they have on display on there home page is the winner of the totm

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 14:15:29 »
Here I change ~28-30g on my 65 every 4 weeks.  It takes so long to fill up the trash can with the RO/DI unit that I find it easier to do just one big one once a month.
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 14:25:40 »
tank of the month. If you go to reefcentral.com the tank they have on display on there home page is the winner of the totm

Thanks I didn't know.  I've seen those tanks of the month.  Nice set ups. 

However, I see that everyone does what fit's them.  Right now I am going to do my schedule change tonight and I think after this one I am going to do  WC every two weeks.  I will monitor and play with it to see what works best. 
One Day At A Time

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 19:12:45 »
I do 5g on my 40g per week (or more like now I'm doing 15g every other day).  I do 5g on my 10g per week.  I do 1g on my 8g per week as well.

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 21:51:17 »
I see water changes really vary.  I am glad evryone is posting what works for them.
One Day At A Time

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 23:53:20 »
Can salt water sit around too long? I know having it sit for a day or two is good. I have seen pictures of the bottom of salt mixing cans and there is a thick precipitate that builds up overtime - which would have otherwise gone into your tank!

I had same salt water mixing with a powerhead for at least a week and did a water change. I am not sure what the situation was but things did not perk up like they usually do. I watch things pretty closely and by 'perk up' I mean the slightest difference is the look of corals or polyp extension.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 06:03:08 »
Can salt water sit around too long? I know having it sit for a day or two is good. I have seen pictures of the bottom of salt mixing cans and there is a thick precipitate that builds up overtime - which would have otherwise gone into your tank!

I had same salt water mixing with a powerhead for at least a week and did a water change. I am not sure what the situation was but things did not perk up like they usually do. I watch things pretty closely and by 'perk up' I mean the slightest difference is the look of corals or polyp extension.

In theory, mixed up salt water should be good indefinitely although  there are situations that can lower your ALK and PH of stored water. A few things cause this precipitation of carbonates that your referring to. Add salt to your mixing vat only after it is full of water and add your salt a little at a time, not all at once, this will help prevent precipitation.  Also excessive aireation can cause this as well.

What brand salt did you use when your corals didn't "perk up"?

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 06:47:36 »
I'm not an expert at this by any means and I haven't been in it a long time but from all the advice that I have gotten and from my experience this is what I have noticed regarding water changes. I currently have a 90 gal. tank with approx. a 15 gal. sump and I do a 10-15 gal. water change weekly.  Not just because someone told me to do it. But because of the benefits of my tank. I test my water weekly, say on Fridays and do my water changes on Sunday. I seem to have a stable environment and I think it is because of my routine. I think my corals are use to this. If you are watching your tank all the time, not only will you know that you need to do a water change because of say what your levels are showing you, but you will know by the way that your corals are looking. Even though things seem to be stable, my corals always look like I have given them a boost every time I do a water change.  Even though things are not bad, they like it! I adjust the amount of water depending on the levels. Say I might do an extra 5 gal. water change if my phosphates are rising. I think that keeping things constant works great for me. Since every tank is different, such as bio load, etc., your tank will talk to you and tell you what it needs. Personally I think that doing a large water change less frequently would be like shocking your tank. Also I think that when it comes to the sake of time, making your water prior to the time that you do your water changes sure saves a lot of time. And then when I'm ready to do my water change it is quick and easy. Maybe not great advice, but hope this helps!
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!