2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Tang & LMB Macro Algae?  (Read 3807 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Tang & LMB Macro Algae?
« on: March 19, 2009, 19:04:26 »
What kind of macro algae (or something else i can grow in the fuge) will tang and LMB eat? 
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: Tang & LMB Macro Algae?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 19:13:21 »
I grew macro in my fuge then fed it to my tangs in the display tank.  MISTAKE!!!  I now fight macro in my over flows all the time!  It's a PITA!

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 20:21:52 »
Tangs love the "Sushi Party" dried seaweed available at Wal Mart in the Asian food aisle.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 21:10:28 »
Yea, my tang attacks sushi wrap, but i never really see the LMB do much but lick the glass.  He seems kinda skinny, I have 0 algae in the tank other than coraline and whatever little film grows on the glass.  i was looking for a more natural growing algae to let them graze on.  Anyone else tryed to grow in the fuge, and feed in the tank?  What Macro did you try?

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 21:32:39 »
Grape culerepa (spelling)  tangs loved it as well as other fish.  kept it seperate from the other macro-algae in the fuge (to hard to seperate)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 22:13:51 »
I have some red grape that hitchhiked in my fuge.  How bad is it about spreading if i feed it to the tank?

Miki: is it only in the overflow? do the tangs keep it in check in the tank?

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 22:24:42 »
I have never had it spread or even take up residence.. because everyone ate it so fast (especially like your tank I have little or no algae through-out the tank) 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 10:44:59 »
I have some red grape that hitchhiked in my fuge.  How bad is it about spreading if i feed it to the tank?

Miki: is it only in the overflow? do the tangs keep it in check in the tank?

What I would do is put a few small pieces of rock with the macro on it.  The tangs would eat it right away.  I never have any in the display tank but it has taken over the over flows!  It's become a real problem because my overflows are always getting plugged up then I get salt creep coming out of my canopy.  If I had it to do over again I would never have added it in the display tank. 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 07:51:16 »
Lawn Mower Blenny and relatives (members of the salarias genus) rarely eat any type of algae other than the "film" types. In other words fuzzy, hairy or leafy types are often ignored. I believe that this is mostly due to the type of mouth structure they have. They have a disk shaped mouth that is more of a scrub brush that is ideal for scrubbing films off of surfaces but not good a biting or tearing filaments of algae off surfaces. Occasionally we will have one that will eat frozen foods but it is rare. Unfortunately, because we put so much effort into have an algae free environment, they often starve to death. Perhaps try a small wedge of raw zucchini or cucumber pinched in a lettuce clip. I have had great sucsess with freshwater pleco species with this method of feeding. Many pleco have a similar mouth structure to the lawn mower blenny and the zucchini was soft enough that they were able to rasp if off the skin.

As per tangs, I think what should be offered to them will vary depending on what type of tang a person has. Tangs have a wide variety of mouth structures so what & how they eat will different from one specie to another.  The more commonly kept tangs of the zebrasoma genus (yellow, purple, etc.) have a mouth good at nipping and tearing off pieces of algae or other leafy material. Nori, macro algae, Romain lettuce and similar is well suite to their mouth structure and feeding habits and they often take right to them. I think the same could be said about members of the Naso genus too. Tangs generically referred to as "bristle tooth tangs" such as Kole, chevron and others rarely eat leafy algae, they, similar to the lawn mower blenny, have more of the scrub brush type mouth good at rasping algae films off surfaces. This is largely true for the acanthus genus as well. I think my point is that a person can not make a blanket statement about what type of algae to feed to tangs because of how different their feeding habits are from one genus to another.

On the subject of feeding algae grown in your filter to your fish, I'm not so sure this is the best decision. I'm not a fan of using most species of caulerpa as a means of vegitive filtration because of the risks and toxins it releases into the water. That does not mean that it should not be used, I just choose to use something a little safer and stable such as cheato. Deliberately putting caulerpa into a display tank can be a very bad decision. Caulerpa is very invasive, once it's in, it can be very hard to get rid of and can significantly impede coral growth. Another reason I am against feeding algae grown in my filter back to my tank is that it kind of defeats the purpose of having a vegative filter. We use macro algae as a means of nutrient export, as it grows, we throw it away "exporting" the waste it has utilized for it's growth. All the unwanted nutrients banked in it's tissue is essentially removed from our system when this method is practiced. Removing it from a sump and feeding to the fish in the display tank is re introducing the removed waste back into the system. Seems counter productive especially when there are so many other better quality foods available. This is perhaps comparable to putting a used, dirty filter pad in the aquarium so the fish can feed off of it - yuk

I use macro grown in my sumps to entice a fish that is not eating from time to time but otherwise I stick with better quality foods such as the formula line and items bought at the grocery store.

Joel

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 09:28:14 »
Thanks for the info. I will try zucchini.  When i had the LMB in QT i had wrapped some nori around an old snail shell and put a couple of rubber bands on in. It wasnt waving around like on a clip, it looked more like a skin on the shell.  in the morning it was all gone, so i assumed he ate it.  But now in the DT the yellow tang LOVES nori and its hard to hid it to let the LMB get some when he finds it.

Are LMBs active at night?

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 11:16:46 »
i have a lmb and 2 tangs (blue and yellow), i grow grape and macro as well. when i feed algae the tangs seem to eat the macro first then the grape. and the lmb never eats it. he only grazes on rock and glass, he does eat all flake food that i feed (ocean nutrition formula two, formula one, and prime reef flakes) he will also eat mysis shrimp, i ve had him for over 2 years so maby just got used to it......also i recently started to feed spectrum 1mm pellets and he ate them right away. hope any of these help.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 13:18:32 »
lucky.. I hardly ever see mine,  I see him licking the glass and the overflow, but it doesnt seem like he's getting much.  How much "film" do they really need?  I scrape the front once a week, but never the sides or back.  But i honestly dont have alot growing.  Mine doesnt even budge when i feed and there is mysis or flakes everywhere.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 14:02:47 »
My LMB will eat anything I put in the tank.  I had another one a long time ago and it did the same.  When I first go into salt and had a 20 gallon tank I had a lot of HA.  The MLB I got at that time ate ti all and was the fattest thing I had ever seen! 

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 14:38:07 »
i got some zucchini in there now, we'll see what happens? are they active at night?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 15:09:05 »
I think mine sleeps at night. 

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 16:00:12 »
I think I am going to put this guy up for sale.  I just got a good look at him and he's pretty skinny.  I guess i just dont have enough algae for him.