2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Clownfish - Happy and Sad in 8 hours  (Read 3366 times)

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
Clownfish - Happy and Sad in 8 hours
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:41:05 »
*Note- Micki will find some humor in this I bet... :D

-Background on my adventure-
After getting a nice BTA from Micki I picked up my first clownfish hoping they would become lifelong friends...  Well after a the BTA had a brief encounter with a Koralia that I was able to rescue it from it found a nice spot behind a rock, but still in some view from the front.  Well The clownfish would hover around it, but never truly tested it.  So I bought a 2nd, smaller clown hoping it would show the larger one the ways of the anemone... :D  But no, more of the same, they would protect the area around the anemone, but wouldn't go into it.
----

Well, last night I had a catastrophe with my magnet cleaner and basically nudged that one rock that sent the left side of my tank crumbling... :'(  After 3 hours of trying to put it back the way it was, which I'm determined you can never do once you move rock :D, I was able to setup the rock so you could now view the BTA in all it's glory!!!  And much to my surprise the Clowns went RIGHT in!!!!  I was like "ALLEUIA".  The 2 clowns swished around in the anemone and it was a sight to see...  So when I hit the sack after basketball the clowns were swimming all around and in the anemone who was much smaller in size but I just assumed that was due to me moving the rocks...  However when I woke up this morning I guess the anemone had enough and moved to the back side of the rock that it was the showcase piece on... D'OH!  Funny thing was the clowns were swimming close to the now open spot on the rock where their beloved anemone was.  So I spent 30min-1hour shifting ever so carefully a few rocks to see if I could move the anemone, but nope he was too much on the backside for me to get without a complete display dismantling.  Well crud!  So here's hoping the anemone keeps moving and ends up somewhere I'll be able to see him, and feed him so he won't perish.  Then maybe the clowns will be a bit easier on him so not to scare him away!!

It was a cool sight to see while it last... :'(

haha... the trials & tribulations of reef keeping... :D

Mark
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: Clownfish - Happy and Sad in 8 hours
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:40:02 »
You're right I found humor in this Mark!  :D  Don't worry, the clowns will find the anemone in time and all will work out.  I've never had trouble keeping my anemonies to stay in place.  Perhaps you should change your anemone parenting skills!  :)

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 10:53:36 »
Oh wise one, please enlighten me... :P

I'm hoping once the lights come on at 12 he'll realize he picked a very dark shady spot and he'll come back out front... :D  Would the clowns jumping in him caused him to move??  I would've that was something it would like?
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:04:37 »
If you want it to move on it's own I've heard that adding more water flow in it's present area my annoy it enough to find a better spot (hopefuly one in full view).

Good Luck
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 11:06:41 »
Yeah I've been reading all the tips and tricks on the web, but I've also read it's a losing battle as it's going to end up where it wants to be!! ;D  I'd try the power head, but right now he is on the back side of a keystone rock so no chance of moving it unless i'm ready to redo all the rock.
65 g AGA - Kettering

Bigmoo

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 12:36:41 »
Have you talked to Joel? Maybe he can help.

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 12:59:54 »
Not sure what he can help with though, anemone's have a brain of their own and will find a spot comfy for them... It may drive us nuts, but what can you do.  As long as he stays healthy that's good enough for me.  I'd like him to be out front, but maybe one day...  Haven't been home yet today he might have already shifted since the lights came on?  We'll see, I'll post and update tonight... :D
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 13:15:00 »
Yeah I've been reading all the tips and tricks on the web, but I've also read it's a losing battle as it's going to end up where it wants to be!! ;D  I'd try the power head, but right now he is on the back side of a keystone rock so no chance of moving it unless i'm ready to redo all the rock.
What though if you put a powerhead aimed in that area could it become annoyed and move itself somewhere that is a little better view?  Without you having to maess with any rock?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 13:25:49 »
Oh wise one, please enlighten me... :P

I'm hoping once the lights come on at 12 he'll realize he picked a very dark shady spot and he'll come back out front... :D  Would the clowns jumping in him caused him to move??  I would've that was something it would like?

I don't think the clowns being in the GBTA would cause it to move.  For some reason my anemones seem to like a good bit of flow.  

On the rare occasion that one of mine has tried to moved I just used my hand and poke it until it goes where I want it to.  If it's really back I get my stick out and smack it around until it stays there.  That's real anemone parenting!   :3some  

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 07:54:09 »
Anemone don't have a brain

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 09:46:27 »
I'm only joking about using the stick and poking it...  ;)