2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Lazy's Fish Bowl  (Read 82940 times)

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
Re: Lazy's Fish Bowl
« Reply #300 on: April 01, 2013, 23:33:27 »
Could you not just pull just thay rock out?  Seems drastic for something thats not harming anything.    But if you need any help i would love to come help you and learn some stuff.   

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #301 on: April 01, 2013, 23:41:12 »
You mean pull the rock out kill and cycle it outside of the tank and leave the coral and fish in it? That is a good idea but I have so much time in the rock scape I didn't want to damage it taking it out. However that may be a better overall idea. Have to give that one some thought. I may do that Charlie. That does seem easier.

Offline bobdino

• Juvenile
« Reply #302 on: April 01, 2013, 23:54:37 »
Any chance the majano wand would work? That frag tank is awful full the ATM machine might need to pay you a visit

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #303 on: April 02, 2013, 00:02:28 »
I tried both the wand and the laser but there's just too much of it. They are about 5mm tall and aprox 30-50 polyps per square inch. I think the ATM needs to pay a visit :) Actually you probably have most everything in the frag tank now.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #304 on: April 02, 2013, 01:38:29 »
That is too weird Brian, i have 2 rocks with the same stuff on them. Ugly as all get out but Harmless. I have been trying to box them in with more noxious creatures. I have had some success with the JF Monti, sunset monti and some trumpets. I am contemplating pulling those rocks and killing them off. I have some corals that are on there also but nothing to big or expensive that can't be replaced. Also thinking about putting my hammer colony next to them not sure yet.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #305 on: April 02, 2013, 15:28:07 »
I may just live with it but I had read somewhere that fluke tabs have been used to kill blue clove polyps. Not sure if these are same but brown? That sounds risky but so does killing my bio filtration. What do you think about an urchin? Will they eat these soft polyps to get to coraline algae?

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #306 on: April 02, 2013, 18:44:52 »
I don't know about the urchin, if my CBB is hungry he picks at them but nothing substancial. For right now I am trying to box them in.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #307 on: April 24, 2013, 22:10:34 »
Hows the tank Any new updates

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #308 on: April 25, 2013, 18:08:10 »
Thanks for checking Ryan. I have been planning/preparing the eradication of the brown polyps. My plan is to pull the rock, (Thanks for the idea Charlie) spray a light coat of kalkwasser/water mix on the rock. Let sit for about 30 minutes then rinse and put in a tub of saltwater with heater and circulation. Then after a couple days check to see if the polyps died. If they did and there's no ammonia I will put the rock back in my tank. My hope is that most of the bacteria inside of the rock will be fine through the process. Just in case I started a trashcan full of bioballs and rock to be used to supplement the tanks bioload. The hard part is all corals have to be removed first. I have been doing a little at a time and only have about 20% of the corals rehomed in the basement tanks and I am about out of room.

If this doesn't kill the polyps then I will drop the salinity in the bucket with rock just low enough to kill them and again hopefully most bacteria will survive.

I know this is a dramatic step for some polyps that don't really sting or harm anything. What can I say... It is my obsessive compulsive behavior with this hobby.

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #309 on: April 25, 2013, 18:52:40 »
Sounds good I think the salinty drop would deffently work if nothing else. And hey I got a lot of room in my tank now since no fish lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #310 on: April 25, 2013, 19:06:33 »
Well good luck Brian if you need a hand more then happy to help also I have a bunch of tanks I'm not using if you need one or a couple why you get everything under control

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #311 on: May 20, 2013, 08:13:38 »
Brown polyps are gone. I ended up purchasing a torch from harbor freight that hooks to a propane tank. My goal was to kill rock surface while not harming the inside bacteria and micro fauna. It wirked really well. Did all the rock in three sessions over two weeks. Took a piece at a time to the back porch. Did a 3 second torch and immediately put it back in the water. Had to remove all coral which was the hard part. That took 3 weeks of prep. So overall a 5 week process so far. Now just got to rebuild the rock scape and mount the corals.

During the process had a dinoflagellate outbreak in one of the three systems but other then that no noticeable changes. I did dose Dr Tim's one and only bacteria after each torch session.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #312 on: May 20, 2013, 08:25:14 »
Your tank will look as awsome as ever now.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #313 on: May 23, 2013, 04:22:50 »
I finally took the time to read this entire 21 page thread and all I have to say is wow! Looks great! Wish I could check it out sometime. I just live so far away!

Thanks for the help and comments on my posts. I really love the site!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #314 on: May 24, 2013, 12:49:29 »
Thank you.

Here is how it looked early April

and how it is today post polyp removal.

I hope to move corals and rock back in over next two weeks.

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #315 on: May 24, 2013, 23:14:21 »
Looking at your's make me think iI have to much rock, lol.
Brent McCloskey

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #316 on: May 27, 2013, 23:16:15 »
Did doing the removal remove all the coraline algae from all the rocks?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #317 on: May 27, 2013, 23:32:55 »
Yes it removed the coraline

Offline mrfish183

• Fry
« Reply #318 on: May 28, 2013, 07:43:23 »
Brown polyps are gone. I ended up purchasing a torch from harbor freight that hooks to a propane tank. My goal was to kill rock surface while not harming the inside bacteria and micro fauna. It wirked really well. Did all the rock in three sessions over two weeks. Took a piece at a time to the back porch. Did a 3 second torch and immediately put it back in the water. Had to remove all coral which was the hard part. That took 3 weeks of prep. So overall a 5 week process so far. Now just got to rebuild the rock scape and mount the corals.

During the process had a dinoflagellate outbreak in one of the three systems but other then that no noticeable changes. I did dose Dr Tim's one and only bacteria after each torch session.

I don't want to temper your excitement but I've been down this road myself.  About 3 years ago, I had an infestation of a white clove polyp strain.  It was slowly working its way from rock to rock and only encrusting montis would slow it down.  Scrubbing seemed to help but they kept coming back.  Same with kalk.  I finally made the decision to try the Fluke tab treatment.  It appeared to kill all the clove polyps along with all 150 of my astrea snails.  Nasty and not real positive for my SPS.  Regardless, I was happy to make the sacrifice until four months later when I noticed the clove polyps were returning in the exact location they had been previously!  The Fluke tabs merely sent them into a four month hibernation.

Hopefully, your strain of clove polyps are gone for good but keep an eye out for them.  They are persistent.  I finally got rid of mine by covering every single rock they occupied with reef epoxy.  Clove polyps are able to propagate much faster in the crevices of live rock.  Once the crevices were gone, they were easy to control.         

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #319 on: May 31, 2013, 01:54:42 »
Thanks for the info on your battle with them. I will definitely be on the watch for them to come back. I sure hope not it was a lot of work.

Moved the rock back in last weekend and a few corals. Ordered from Cerameco a couple branching ceramic pieces to add more spots to mount corals and better utilize the space. Those won't be here until Wednesday so have to wait until then to finish the rock scape and continue to move the corals back in.

I noticed a bit more algae and had a dino out break in one tank so measured the phosphates yesterday. They were .11 up from .02. Likely from the die off on the rock and why some acro's have reduced color. Doubling up on GFO to hopefully bring it back down. I really hope it isn't an indication of a phosphate battle ensuing. Been there and it isn't fun.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #320 on: July 01, 2013, 00:28:20 »
I got most of the corals moved back into the display over the past couple weeks. Hope to have everything in by end of next weekend. Once finished I will get some proper full tank shots. Here is a cell phone side view pic in the mean time.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #321 on: July 01, 2013, 06:45:47 »
Starting to look like a full tank again. Looking good!

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #322 on: July 01, 2013, 08:52:59 »
Right on!

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #323 on: July 01, 2013, 12:23:47 »
Looks good was kinda bare the last time I saw it. Well until I looked at your frag tanks lol
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Lazy's Fish Bowlo
« Reply #324 on: July 01, 2013, 16:36:30 »
Glad to be rid of those clove polyps and have the corals back in. i have had ongoing struggles with phosphates, hope to add a refugium this year to grow macro algae.