2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Lazy's Fish Bowl  (Read 82932 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Lazy's Fish Bowl
« Reply #350 on: September 02, 2013, 01:33:13 »
I use 2.5 - 3 cups GFO on estimated 240 Gallons of water. Change it about once per month. If I had a place for macro algae could probably use a lot less. 

Offline PlayeroPuertoRico

• Juvenile
« Reply #351 on: September 02, 2013, 09:42:21 »
Very impressive tank! shows true dedication to the hobby!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #352 on: September 02, 2013, 09:59:36 »
Looking good. Making a nice comeback.

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #353 on: September 02, 2013, 10:49:32 »
I use 2.5 - 3 cups GFO on estimated 240 Gallons of water. Change it about once per month. If I had a place for macro algae could probably use a lot less.

no place in the dumps in the basement?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #354 on: September 02, 2013, 11:13:33 »
no place in the dumps in the basement?

Of course has doesn't have any room, his corals grow like weeds. #coralenvy   His basement is full of frags.

Looks very nice.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #355 on: September 02, 2013, 13:57:17 »
Thanks everyone
I hope to do a basement upgrade soon to give more space for addition of cheato. Does anyone know if a 10' foot x 2' foot x shallow trough can be purchased. Would like to use as a raceway to gain space. The acrylic DIY tanks are really expensive.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #356 on: September 02, 2013, 22:51:10 »
Have you thought about building a custom glass tank? You could have the glass cut to any length you want.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #357 on: September 02, 2013, 23:37:23 »
I wouldn't trust my DIY skills with a glass tank that large. It would likely leak.

Offline mccorry

• Fry
« Reply #358 on: September 05, 2013, 11:55:28 »
Determining where and how to brace the glass would be tough....   

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #359 on: September 06, 2013, 08:35:07 »
Determining where and how to brace the glass would be tough....

You could run it like a euro bracing. On a foot tank I would add 2 vertical braces evenly spaced. The vertical would only have to be about 3" tall so as not to take up much space. All you need is glass and silicon.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #360 on: September 06, 2013, 09:25:45 »
If a trough would suit your fancy why not just make one out of wood and pond liner? Ply wood and some studs and tank liner works wonders... a few buddies and I have made 15 ft long "raceways" this way to make a tank to test fishing lures that we were making by hand. It matched your specs almost to a T but it was longer than 10ft.

We had it up for about 2 years without a hitch, and we would fill/empty, slide, kick, budge it quite often
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #361 on: September 06, 2013, 11:37:16 »
That is a good idea. Will the liner be able to mold to the rectangular design? Or do you cut it and seal with some sort of sealant that is salt safe?  Do you know how much a liner would cost? I am thinking the wood would only be about 150$. What about fiberglass resin instead of a pond liner?

Joe I like the glass idea and would give that more consideration. I think that is almost as much as acrylic?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #362 on: September 06, 2013, 14:02:38 »
To be honest Brian you could go as intricate as you wanted to or not... We honestly just made the raceway then laid the liner over it let it hang over the edge then just stapled it in place and trimmed it... it worked just fine... and yes it molded to the corners just fine, the water shapes it into whatever structure is backing it. Much like a trashcan liner in a trash can.

The resin would work the same, its honestly just however you wanted to do it... when they make plywood tanks they use resin, but the liner may just be easier... Roll it out. staple. trim.... We bougth our online and i wanna say it was around 50 bucks for a roll the rize we needed, but someone like Viggen may know of a better connection for it locally since he is into the pond scene? ;)

I believe that fish store in columbus uses the same method(ply wood and pond liner) on their coral grow out tanks in the back of their shop in the greenhouse.. they just do it more square and alot deeper.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #363 on: September 06, 2013, 14:13:47 »
Here are some examples... the stuff we got was just over 20mil thick and I wanna say we got a 20x10 sheet course this was about 5-6 years ago, but it was right around 50 bucks... It looks like a sheet that size is a lil more now, but you get the idea.. just make sure you compensate for the sides aswell when you buy a length. So if you tank is 10 long and 2' high you need atleast 15 ft long liner to allow you to staple the edges.... save your scrapes you can use them for patches if you need... and patching is as simple as super glueing....Though we never had a tear or any problems with leaks in ours.

Just don consider anything less than 20mil imo... The thicker the better though... but the thicker the more $$

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apond%20liners

Another option; if you are working on a budget may be to consider scouring the stores for claeranced satnd alone pools, or craigslist the pools(like those intex ones with the floating ring that you put in your yard)... That material is the same it's just blue/white/grey and is usually 30-40 mil thick.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 14:25:44 by Boonjob »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #364 on: September 06, 2013, 18:30:36 »
Thank you for all the info, this may be a good solution and save a good bit of money. Time to go watch DIY pond liner install videos on YouTube

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #365 on: September 06, 2013, 19:11:56 »
N/p There was a vid on youtube where a guy uses a race way just like the one we made to test a whopper plopper I think... I cant find it though haha.

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #366 on: September 06, 2013, 20:38:36 »
Thank you for all the info, this may be a good solution and save a good bit of money. Time to go watch DIY pond liner install videos on YouTube

I will tell you from experience installing a few rubber lined ponds and then using the pond liner for drop trays and molded applications... Start in the middle and work your way out. You can put a bead of silicone 1 around the bottom outside edge and push the lime into the bottom edges and fill the bottom with a couple inches of water in. Let out sit a bit and then stretch the liner tight around the top and use fast staples to hold it in place. Silicone isn't needed if you chill the bottom first and then stretch over the top and secure but helps hold it in place.

Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #367 on: September 06, 2013, 21:35:29 »
Thanks for the tips Wes

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #368 on: September 06, 2013, 22:19:03 »
They also make a seam tape for rubber liners. Both single and double sided.
I've never used it but if I expand my pond like I'm thinking about I will be.
Brent McCloskey

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #369 on: September 06, 2013, 23:04:05 »
Brian, we use the pond liner on all of our service tanks. It is super easy to use and holds great. We have a roll that is 8ftxapprox 120' left on the roll, if you would like to check it out.
John

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #370 on: September 06, 2013, 23:17:30 »
Thanks Jon I need to stop by anyway soon so I will check it out.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #371 on: September 06, 2013, 23:29:58 »
You can cut the line and patch with the various types of patch kits out there.  But its a LOT safer to just use a single piece with no patches.  Most state when the one or two sided patch kits are used the only way to get a solid seal is to do it on a flat surface..... Which is kinda difficult depending on the situation.  Just do one piece and lay the corners in a way to minimize places for stuff to collect..... Just takes a bit of fiddling when the tub/pond/etc is being filled up.

Many pond suppliers also carry epdm bulkheads so you can easily put a drain and/or return line through the liner. 

If marine solutions doesn't have what you need I dealt with a guy for my ponds that lives in franklin.  I can get you his info.....
300g tub o fish

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #372 on: September 07, 2013, 00:32:16 »
Thanks Viggen, how do you do the corners. Would their be a big fold coming from each corner or does is really stretch that much.

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #373 on: September 07, 2013, 00:36:23 »
Thanks Viggen, how do you do the corners. Would their be a big fold coming from each corner or does is really stretch that much.

Folds come down to how you lay/stretch it. A gold as we know would not be what you want. I nerve hast horizontal folds but vertically was always a pain in the butt to get to be somewhat square.

Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Viggen

« Reply #374 on: September 07, 2013, 00:43:44 »
It does stretch a little and depending on the depth how tall the sides are will determine if there are any folds in there or how severe they are. 

I will try to take some pics of my smaller pond so you can see the folds that are in the pond. 
300g tub o fish