2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Lazy's Fish Bowl  (Read 82928 times)

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
Re: Lazy's 125
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2010, 23:42:30 »
looking like some good progress... now its just time to replace that useless exercise equipment with moar aquariums

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
  • GIVE ME ONE OF EVERYTHING [just dont tell my wife]
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2010, 23:45:13 »
Wow Brian! You really went above and beyond. It looks fantastic! ;)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2010, 00:09:17 »
The rock is really clean. It went for a 10-1 water - muriatic acid bath for 24 hours then a power-wash followed by sun dried for a week. Does that make a difference in the approach with small tank or whole system cycle? I do plan on adding Prodibio BIO DIGEST, STOP AMMO and Macrobacter 7 to start the cycle and a little fish food to get things going.

I am always a fan of starting the cycle with live rock hehe. But that works too!

Your basement, is beautiful man. Wish mine was that nice. But mine is a few (150) years older than yours I am sure.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2010, 00:37:19 »
looking like some good progress... now its just time to replace that useless exercise equipment with moar aquariums

I agree!

Wow Brian! You really went above and beyond. It looks fantastic! ;)

Thanks Scott

I am always a fan of starting the cycle with live rock

Yeah me to, its the Bryopsis and Dino's that I fear.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2010, 08:17:54 »
looks great very clean looken  o so close to haven it up and running
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2010, 11:50:02 »
your new set up is simply stunning Brian  :o
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2010, 12:10:13 »
your new set up is simply stunning Brian  :o

Ummmmm... +infinity.

Can I just buy your house and leave your setup there for me?!  ;D
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2010, 12:23:10 »
Tanks are filled and water is flowing at a good clip. Likely 600-800 GPH. I have an issue on the return line, it vibrates from the Iwaki pump. Radiates through the tanks, walls and plumbing. Does anyone know how to reduce that noise? I was thinking of changing from PVC to vinyl tunbing for a portion of the return line where it connects to the pump. Thoughts?

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2010, 12:34:27 »
a few short pieces of vinyl tubing would help I'd bet. Do you have a silicone pad under your pump? I don't remember seeing one. I think I have some 1/4" thick pad around here someone if you need one.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2010, 13:23:30 »
Tanks are filled and water is flowing at a good clip. Likely 600-800 GPH. I have an issue on the return line, it vibrates from the Iwaki pump. Radiates through the tanks, walls and plumbing. Does anyone know how to reduce that noise? I was thinking of changing from PVC to vinyl tunbing for a portion of the return line where it connects to the pump. Thoughts?

I would use some spa-flex tubing for pump connections.   This is still PVC glue-able fittings.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2010, 16:32:28 »
ya i would put some tubing right when it come out of the pump and i used a mouse pad under the pump to help
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Kenn

« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2010, 18:37:09 »
I am not familiar with the set up ... however if its an external pump, couldn't you mount it on dampening bushings to absorb the vibration ?
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2010, 19:00:16 »
ya  the dampening bushing is about the same as a rubber pad but ur still going to get some vibration comeing out of the pump  thats the need for tubing
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2010, 19:48:07 »
Right now I have 1/2" weather striping under it, it is like a dense rubbery foam. One thing to add if I lift the pump off the ground and hold it in my hand the noise is the same. As Hunger said the vibration or noise seems to come from inside of the pump. I will try the vinyl tubing and put a mouse pad under it or dampening busing if I can find one.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2010, 20:26:55 »
Right now I have 1/2" weather striping under it, it is like a dense rubbery foam. One thing to add if I lift the pump off the ground and hold it in my hand the noise is the same. As Hunger said the vibration or noise seems to come from inside of the pump. I will try the vinyl tubing and put a mouse pad under it or dampening busing if I can find one.

Did you buy it new? These pumps should be nearly silent. Just a slight humming noise.

I had an issue with vibrating pipes, I used expandable foam to clear it up.

Like I said before, I have a pump with bad bearings. I can hear that one upstairs, not the new pump though.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2010, 20:29:33 »
What size is the pump?

I have two iwaki pumps.  I used to use them on my tanks.  They had good flow, but they were just too noisy.  Not vibrating noise, just noise.

slandis3

« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2010, 20:41:44 »
Most likely the noise is because it pushing the water up so far, high head height. External pumps tend to make a little more noise or vibrations when you are pushing water up that far. Like a few other have said. replace some of you pvc with either spa flex or vinyl hose. If you go with the vinyl hose go 1 size bigger than the pipe you are running now. The nipples tend to be a good amount smaller than the hose and you will lose some flow.

Offline tidepool

• Adult
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2010, 21:07:02 »
Looking Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Lazy....

I'll have to stop over in the next week or so to check it out "live" and in person....

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2010, 21:12:51 »
Most likely the noise is because it pushing the water up so far, high head height. External pumps tend to make a little more noise or vibrations when you are pushing water up that far. Like a few other have said. replace some of you pvc with either spa flex or vinyl hose. If you go with the vinyl hose go 1 size bigger than the pipe you are running now. The nipples tend to be a good amount smaller than the hose and you will lose some flow.

No kidding, like 40%. Another thing I wish I had thought of in my setup.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2010, 21:18:16 »
I may have a few bushings Brian. They are not just a rubber bushing. They are designed to eliminate the transfer of energy from a industrial vibrator table \ motor from adjacent equipment.

I will take a look and see if I have any left. they range in size from a nickel to a half dollar.

However, if it is being transferred due to internal cavitation of the impeller then they prob wont do a lot of good.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2010, 22:04:50 »
very true
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2010, 20:54:44 »
I replaced the PVC plumbing with vinyl tubing and that fixed the issue with pump noise.

However there was another plumbing issue that was causing problems. The overflow in the display tank was sucking air in with the water and causing noise/bubbles, when the bubbles broke the surface in the basement it made a mist that would over time cause significant Salt Creep.

To fix the issue I did the silent overflow using a ball valve to create a full siphon.

Had to drill another hole in the tank and run another drain line to support this method but it resulted in dead silence and no more bubbles in the basement system. YAY! I am exusasted though. It took me all weekend 14 hours Sat and 6 hours today because I refused to drill another hole and tried to do it my way. After reconfiguring the plumbing several times, eventually gave in and got out the drill.  :laugh: It was worth the effort.

Offline HUNGER

Re: Lazy's Fish Bowl
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2010, 21:06:04 »
that great to hear that the tubbing help     sucks that u had to drill another hole but if it makes it better nand works better than thats good
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2010, 21:11:54 »
Thats exactly how I have my calfo running.  Your right it is dead silent.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2010, 22:19:55 »
LOL. I have done this many times. I have a good idea of what I think will work. But its a pain, so I try it my way. In the end, it always is more time and money to do it the right way.

Who changed the titel to fish bowl? lol