2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Frag Swap Committee  (Read 16434 times)

MechanicalEngineer

Frag Swap Committee
« on: January 13, 2009, 20:39:19 »
I would like to start a frag swap committee.  To do so, I would like a chairperson to head this committee.  The Chair would be responsible for the overall organizing of the fragswap, working with Rick (slicktrax) to control the budget, and obtaining raffle items/sponsorship.  This would be a rather large time commitment, depending on when it was decided to have the swap.  The chair will report to me, then I will report to the rest of the board. 

I'm looking for nominations (you can nominate yourself...which is what I'd rather you do.)  Please state why you believe you or someone else would be a good candidate.  If someone else has nominated you, please state whether you accept or decline.  From the list of nominations, the board will choose a person we think can best handle the responsibility based on club activism and other factors.

We are also needing volunteers to help plan, organize, and run the event.  If you are willing to just volunteer, please also speak up.  Please do not take this lightly...this is a huge commitment.  If we do not get enough volunteers, it will not happen...plain and simple.  (At that point, if you didn't volunteer, I don't want to hear, "why don't we have a frag swap...why didn't it happen...blah blah blah.")

Thank you!

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
Re: Frag Swap Committee
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 21:05:46 »
I'm more than willing to volunteer, but I don't time to be a chairperson or something like that.  If they have things they need help taking care of, I might be able to do that kind of thing along with the set-up stuff.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 21:28:17 »
I nominate Slandis3 (aka mike)
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

slandis3

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 21:56:42 »
i decline, this is not something I can get involved with right now. My work place is very unstable right now and do not have the extra time for this.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 23:02:12 »
I'll help out with anything needed, but i'm new and have never been to a fragswap so...
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:40:00 »
Keep in mind, I'll be available to help the Chair...but running this club AND running a frag swap is just too much for one person. 

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 00:15:19 »
Ok...BACK UP.  I am not looking for dates, locations, or anything else.  I am looking for a chair...and that is all.  So far, no one has nominated him/herself...

Keep this thread on topic...you all are missing the point.  I want to find someone willing to take the lead.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 00:26:56 »
Can't this be done by committee?  Sounds like alot of work for one person.  We all have some things we can do or ae good at but don't want to put in the amount of work or time involved to head the whole thing.  If it comes down to just delegating responsability to the people that want to help I have no problem doing that.  Although i'm sure there is someone better at it then me.  We can use a thread to keep up with whats needs to be done what is done and who is willing to do it.  It all really shouldn't be that hard.  I have never been to a frag swap so I don't know all the things that have to be done but I'm sure with the input of the members that have been we could come up with a comprehensive list.  From there, individuals can offer their time to do the individual jobs that need done.  Once we have all the slots filled we can start the plan in motion.  I do think we need a ruff date and a place.  That will have alot of bering on peoples ability to help and if they can\are interested.  Plus one location isn't that same as another so the requierments will be different from place to place.  Which again will affect the voulunteers and who's skills/contacts we can use.  Just a thought from a guy kind of new to this group.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 00:29:08 by JSLeedy »
Dayton,Ohio

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 00:40:56 »
The chair will head a committee as stated previously.  This person will temporarily act as a Program Director (but just for one program for one year.)  The chair will call meetings, discuss what needs to be done, assign a task list to the committee, and report back to me frequently for discussions.  I will report back to the board with the progress. 

Which leads me once again, back to my point.  I need someone to volunteer to be the lead of this event.  If I do not get any nominations for a chair, no frag swap.

slandis3

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 00:43:10 »
Good luck

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 00:54:03 »
I will be willing to put the Steve Leedy frag swap together and we can do it with very few meetings and alot of discourse over the internet.  I think my defenition of a chairman is different.  I think the thread can work as the tool for keeping things organized.  As well as updates on whats done and what needs finishing.  It can also provide a almost endless daily dialogue on any changes and additions to the overall plan.  Thast keeps all members up to date as well as giving them a opinion.  Hopefully with this kind of involement it will encougare more people to feel like helping.  I have to admit I really hate meetings.  I have sat through hundred and can honestly say almost all of them could have been done through a conferance call or over the net.  The thought of meetings makes people not want to help.  In my opinion.  What kind of things does he board have to rule on?
Dayton,Ohio

slandis3

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 01:00:33 »
One thing to think about is were not all on the same work shift. Talking on here is going to be so much easier than having meetings. Im at work right now talking away to you guys and gals. The reason i do not want to be the chairman is because i work off shift and it would be really hard to have meetings with all of you that are on the day shift. But i am willing to help as much as i can while im at work and the few hours im at home with my faimly.

apelaston

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 01:52:06 »
i have met leedy and he is a 'spry well spoken person who i think could get things done and has connections to get some great things at min to no costs. i would back leedy on a nomination. a list of volunteers and what they need to do does need compiled as well so ppl can pick a task and get to completing it so that weight is distributed to those who want involved and how much they want involved.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 02:06:44 »
I second the Steve Leedy Frag Swap!

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 02:46:41 »
I would be willing to chair and/or help.  I too would want to have a dedicated frag swap area here on the forums where we could do the majority of the tracking/updating but would like to atleast see a kick off meeting and a few meetings through out.

Joe

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 10:28:32 »
So far we have nominations for:  JSLeedy & JoeAyers

I have no problem with an online forum/multiple threads about a frag swap to help everyone plan.  But, I do want the chair to be an active member that goes to meetings.  I do want to meet with the committee members & chair at a few monthly meetings to make sure everything is going fine in person.  It's a lot easier to cover up a lack of work online than it is in person.  I realize everyone can't always make it, but we need to at least try. 

Any more nominations?  The board will vote on the chair next weekend.  Thanks for the nominations so far.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 13:16:00 by Reef'd Up »

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 10:29:58 »
I would back either nomination, or if they shared the spot.  I do agree with Nikki about how easy it is to cover up a lack of work online vs in person.  Meetings could help assure that we have proper, hard copies of any documentation that we may need.

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 10:34:27 »
I would be willing to help out as a volunteer.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 12:59:40 »
It really isn't that easy to cover up work online.  The only proof anyone has of what they have done is paper work for the most part  That can very easily be sent in PDF files to people that need them with about 3 clicks of the mouse.  If there are several meetings that have to be attended a month remove me from the list.  Congratulations Joe it's yours  :).  I can be sure my scheduale wouldn't mesh very well with anyone once the High School boys volleyball season starts.  Has there been a problem in the past of people facking preperations?  I really am curious why someone would be motivated to lye about what they have done.  It's not like everyone wouldn't find out and hate them in the end for being a big piece crap.  Given it may ruin the swap because of it but I really have a hard time thinking someone around here would do that.  Seems like everyone has the clubs best intrest in mind.
Dayton,Ohio

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 13:19:03 »
Right now, I don't think it's necessary for more meetings than just the monthly meeting and online discussions.  I do think that it is important that the chair be active online and offline in the club.  The club hasn't really done something like this before, so I think we need to take all precautions as possible. 

Bigmoo

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 13:55:59 »
I would be willing to volunteer. Just need to know what is needed of me so I know where I can help.

Not to get off track of finding a Chair, but the next few months will be very busy for springtime events (IE; I have an awards ceremony to attend for NARI and the Home Show at the Expo Center is coming up in which I partake in as well). Also, it seems that with the economy as is, a tremendous amount of work could potentially be wasted if time is not given for things such as Tax Returns and the market to come around a bit...

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 13:18:28 »
Once a committee is established I will create a board accessible to those people to discuss things.

The other possibility is the establishment of a chat room so people can "converse" more easily.

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 20:28:31 »
i would like to see the chatroom option available.  we can use it for more than just the frag swap.  it could also be used for board meetings.  if you find one that can log the chat out for later use that would be great.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 11:10:53 »
Are we still looking at trying to get this together?

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 16:22:12 »
I think JoeAyers is the Chairman.  Ask him or Reef'd Up.  They should be able to let you know what needs done.
Dayton,Ohio

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 17:18:15 »
This will be discussed soon...a few things need to be finalized first.

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 17:27:11 »
Alright, sounds good.  Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something we talked about and then forgot about. :)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 17:43:29 »
I am all for helping out in anyway I can. Just let me know when discussions start and I will be available.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 14:04:45 »
The board has selected Joe Ayers to be the Frag Swap Committee Chairperson.  He was selected since he originally volunteered several months ago, for his dedication to this club, and his experience with frag swaps. 

Thank you to everyone who volunteered for any position.  We are in the process of starting a frag swap forum for the convenience of all who have volunteered. 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 15:00:56 »
Who's Joe Ayers?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 15:04:49 »
Who's Joe Ayers?

teh heh heh  :D

Joe, as things start coming together just let me know how I can help.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2009, 15:19:05 »
Who's Joe Ayers?

Some idiot from Cincy who apparently doesn't have enough on his plate. I feel sorry for that guy.

Joe, as things start coming together just let me know how I can help.

Thanks. Will do. We will officially open a thread in the next couple of days. I'm out of town this weekend so might not be until Monday so I can stay on top of things.

Bigmoo

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 15:26:55 »
Congrats Joe lol. Let me know if and when you want me aboard.

No "references" please, Joel or Justin ;D

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 15:36:51 »
Congrats Joe lol. Let me know if and when you want me aboard.

No "references" please, Joel or Justin ;D

:D

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 15:43:41 »
Volunteers for the frag swap committee are now being accepted.  There's no requirement other than a willingness to help and being a club member (what the point in volunteering if you're not a member?) 

Volunteers will have access to their own forum to discuss tasks and issues.  Non-volunteers will still be able to input their ideas in a separate forum.  If I'm not mistaken, a chat room will form with the creation of the forum. 

So far, the volunteer list is (please let me know if I should add or remove you):

JoeAyers
Reef'd_Up
Verper
Slicktrax
Lazylivin
pontiac2002gtp
JSleedy
Bigmoo
revelation131
cyberwollf

Thanks all!  Gary, could you please add these people to the forum list?

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 21:11:56 »
I think Joel should be on that list too him and moo are a package deal, they are brothers you know.

slandis3

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 21:14:27 »
put me down

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 21:21:51 »
The people listed by Nikki and slandis all should be able to access the Frag Committee forum as well as the Frag Committee channel in the chat room.

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 21:43:20 »
You can put me down as a volunteer as well.

slandis3

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 21:46:45 »
I think Joel should be on that list too him and moo are a package deal, they are brothers you know.

I dont see your name on there  :)

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 21:57:13 »

Now that you have that moderator tag, your help is implied.  It's just part of weilding such masive power. :laugh:
Dayton,Ohio

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 22:02:06 »
thats cause im not as cool as you

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 10:10:45 »
Put me down, I would like to help as well.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2009, 13:54:01 »
I would be glad to help out

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 15:25:30 »
With all the help I've gotten from this group I'd love to help out in return... Please put my name on the list!!

Mark
65 g AGA - Kettering