2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Contamination?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Contamination?
« on: June 14, 2021, 20:33:24 »
I am in the process of tearing down my QT tank. Without thinking I used a siphon hose and buckets I normally use on my DT. Have I permanently contaminated them? The QT had Cupramine in it for the last 2-3 months, most of that at a .5 level.

In my thinking, any nasties should have been taken out and I don’t see the plastic absorbing any copper.

I have rinsed the buckets really well and they are drying now. Was thinking of maybe wiping them out with a little bit of chlorine, or is that overkill? I’m probably overthinking things, but don’t want to have my DT wiped out again.

Offline Farrun

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
Re: Contamination?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 20:55:36 »
It's always been my understanding that parasites such as ich, brook, etc. are unable to survive after being dried out. I think you should be fine as long as you rinse everything very well with fresh water and allow it to dry. However, seeing as how you kept your QT in the therapeutic range for months I couldn't imagine there would be anything alive in there. Someone with more knowledge or experience than I may be more fit to answer this though.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
Re: Contamination?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 14:46:49 »
Wouldn't think so, but why risk it?