2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: System Setup  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
System Setup
« on: January 31, 2011, 18:06:36 »
So about 6 months ago I added the frag tank to my system. I plumbed it in to the existing system to make maintenance easier. Since that time I have noticed that my skimmer hasn't been skimming as much. I cleaned the frag tank the other day(which had a crushed coral bottom), and it was insanely dirty. It turned into a complete draining of the frag tank and shop vac cleanup. I decided to go with a barebottom this time to make it easier to clean. I have noticed that it is catching material and getting dirty very quickly.

So my conclusion is this. Since my overflow from my dt goes to my frag tank then to the sump, the frag tank is acting as a catch-all for all the material and none is making it to the sump for the skimmer to remove it. I think I need to divert the main tank overflow back to the sump, and add another pump to send water to the frag tank.

Does this sound like a logical assumption to anyone else?
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: System Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 18:16:40 »
I think your assumption is correct. However since you went bare bottom kick up the flow with some in tank power heads to keep the debri in suspension so it can be carried away to the sump. No need for an additional pump in the sump with this approach.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 19:20:09 »
But, Your frags are getting the dirtiest water in you tank.  Not sure if it matters that much if you have high turnover.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 19:32:58 »
Not a real high turnover yet, that's why I'm thinking I need to add the other pump and change things around.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 20:00:53 »
The sump will be getting the dirtiest water. Regardless it is insignificant. Measure any parameter in the water entering the sump and it will be the exact same as it is leaving the sump (with a convential test kit). Adding another pump in the sump to have each tank on there own independent pump will only increase your turnover rate in your sump not the frag or display tank. Increasing flow in the frag tank with powerheads so debris doesn't settle on the bottom would be a healthiest and most economical option.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 20:10:29 »
The frag tank is only a 20L, has the full flow from the 125 gallon tank and a koralia 2 in it.  There isnt any more space for another powerhead and it already has a lot of flow to it.  Thats why I'm thinking the extra pump may be the best idea.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 20:31:05 »
Lets assume that you have 500gph return pump connected to your main display. You add a 500gph return pump to your frag tank. Effectively all you have done is increased the turnover rate of the sump. Still have 500gph running through both systems, same as before with 1000gph in the sump. The reason you had a problem was due to crushed coral. As soon as detritus fell in it, it was trapped. Unlike Sand or bare bottom it would typically not catch, stay in suspension until it can be exported.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 21:29:40 »
I cleaned the frag tank only a few days ago, and even with all the flow it is still catching alot of debris.  I would only use around a 100gph pump to supply it from the sump so it wouldn't be creating that much more flow through my sump, and with the powerhead still in the frag tank it should still supply plenty of flow for the frags.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 21:41:11 »
Okay cool. That should help out.

Offline Coral Squad

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 21:42:36 »
MP-10 doesnt take much room and will give you tones of flow

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 21:48:33 »
Lazy--  Does that sound like it would work?  With the koralia 2 in a 20 long it gives me alot of flow, so I don't need to use a huge pump and get alot of volume going thru the tank.

Coral--  For that small tank a koralia 2 does great.  The vortech would be overkill and far too expensive for that small of a setup.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 22:03:12 »
Yeah that should work pretty good.

I have a similar setup to your original configuration. 125g Display tank on main floor, split to two 75g in the basement and join back together in a 50g sump then back up to the 125g. I did however also have a 55g display and 33g frag tank sharing a common sump each on their own return. That worked quite well also. I also like the lower maintenance of connected tanks. So you strategy is a good one just take some time to work out the kinks. Getting rid of the crushed coral was a good move and should help considerably.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 22:13:14 »
I originally liked the crushed coral because I could just let any of the soft corals I cut up lay on the bottom and they eventually grabbed a piece and I could glue it to something.  I just didn't realize how much dirt the substrate was catching.  Guess I will go back to small dishes with coral and covering them.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 07:03:37 »
Another thought to consider is what do the corals in your frag tank want?

Some corals may thrive with this "dirtier" water where as some my really dislike it.

I think that for corals (even sponges) the feed heavily on suspended matter this may be an ideal situation and could even see increased growth rates, all that water flow should keep matter suspended and if you have a spot where debris accumulates, it'll be easy to clean up with a bare bottom.

I did a similar project in a big overflow box and kept things it is that needed heavy feedings of particulates, (dendro, tubestria, sponge, feather dusters, featherstar, etc) and did far better with them in that situation than I did in my display. I literally did nothing to directly feed them and got awesome growth. Palys & zoa, did really good too.

Joel