2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: diy carbon air filter.  (Read 2572 times)

slandis3

diy carbon air filter.
« on: April 01, 2009, 13:10:58 »
I made a diy carbon filter a few year ago. I made it for the air intake on my skimmer. We were doing some house work and painting so I ran the incoming air through this before it hit the skimmer. Hoping any airborne crap would be filtered before it got to the skimmer. Now I'm using it to filter the air coming out of the skimmer so my house doesn't smell like a fish shop on a hot summer day.  ;D 

items needed.

An old reactor or a pc of pvc pipe.
Carbon
1/2" threaded pvc T
1/2" pipe
filer floss.
1/2" male thread/slip fitting

step 1  after cleaning everything i drilled a hole in the bottom so the 1/2" fitting will fitting to it.

step 2  cut a pc of 1/2" pipe about 2" long. Drill 6 or so holes through the sides.I used the plate that came with the reactor and glued it to the pipe. then put a pc of filter floss on top to keep the carbon on top of the plate.

step 3  i use a long pc of 1/2" pipe on the threaded fitting to hold it into place while i was tighten the T up to it. Remove the long pc and put the 2" pipe in its place.

step 4  I took a sheet of acrylic and glued t to the back so i have a way to mount it.

step 5. add carbon and mount. I use 3/8" jg fitting and pex tubing for the lines to and from. This makes it easy to change them out if needed.

Now ith the pic i didn't have it installed yep but if your only going to use 1 vent just install a plug on the other side of the T fitting.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 20:19:43 by slandis3 »