2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Diy Low cost controller  (Read 23444 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Diy Low cost controller
« on: October 18, 2009, 22:37:46 »
Ok starting a thread will at least make me publicly committed to this project (I'm Lazy :laugh:).  I have been working on this for the last few weeks or so. 

A simple black box in your stand with:
a few plugs for inputs. Temp, orp, pH...
a few outputs, lights, ato whatever... No need to get complicated, normal timers work fine, are dependable, and cheap.
a 433MHz transmitter connected to a receiver "black box" that plugs into a PC
All the interfacing and displays, graphs, etc will be on PC.

Total cost goal is <$50.

so: inputs, output, graphs and displays on PC...Looking for other suggestions and features.

Also, Visual Basic is kicking my butt. I will be in LA for 2 weeks and have a few VB books to read, but help from anyone well versed would be nice :laugh:
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Re: Diy Low cost controller
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 22:54:35 »
Wes, I've been waiting for you to announce this project!

I'm all for it.

Some thoughts, I would consider looking into AVR's uC. Granted I don't know much about PIC's as I've always preferred Atmel chips. There MEGA line as 6 ADC for your analog probes, supports regular ISP and USB reflashing using a bootloader, contains 8K onboard flash ROM and 1K RAM, their programmer (which I have one of) is only about $25 bucks. As I said a few days ago, they also program in C. Best of all the chips are about $3 and it should do almost everything you need, and I have some already!

http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Microcontrollers-Microprocessors/Microcontrollers-MCU/_/N-6hpeg?P=1z0j299Z1z0y33r&Keyword=atmega8&FS=True

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc2486.pdf

Check out the atmega128 for more RAM/features are needed.

This may be a ways down to road but http://www.batchpcb.com/ is a great place for PCB's on the cheap. I've got access to EAGLE if you need layout work done.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 23:13:38 »
I have eagle and the equipment to flash PICs, but am fairly out of practice with both.  right now i am using a BasicStamp by Parralax for the uC prototyping.  They are easy to program in BASIC. But $60 each.

Soon as i get successful serial communication between PC and uC i will get some simple code layed out and port it over for uC.  If you have some free time when i get to that point outsourcing the AVR flashing to you would be great.

I know we have alot of folks in Technical jobs.  Does anyone have access to PCB fabrication equipment.  I can do it with Copy machine Toner, but would be great to get professional ones.

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 23:19:00 »
I forgot that the demo version of eagle does as much as it does  :) Autorouting, two sided, eurocard sized boards.

I'm more than happy to help just let me know what you need!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 23:37:04 »
Also, BatchPCB is a $10 setup/shipping fee, then $2.50/sq. in. Which is great since most board houses charge you a $200-$500 tool fee!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Reefd Up

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:12:58 »
You weirdo electrical guys!  :laugh:  Can't wait to see how this turns out!!

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 14:08:37 »
Plane rides always were good for thinking. I think I have the scope of this project laid out. Note: this will be all modular. The will be no increased cost for the options you don't need, simply don't buy the parts for all X amount of inputs/outputs if you don't need them. 

Options:
At least 3 analog input chanels for pH, orp, and temp w/ cal
Several digital inputs for ato, etc (ideas?)
Lots of outputs: lights, pumps, etc (does anyone use more than 15? How many do most controllers come with?)

Windows program to display the following for each channel:
I or O?
Name
On/off rule
Current status
Next time of on/off change (light cycle ect)
Ability to overide off/on
x min pump shutdown for feeding

I also plan on being able to: 
log data and display excel graphs pHvsTime
Display total time installed and total hours of use for pumps/bulbs (with reminders to replace) 

As I said this will be a little box in your stand with ports for I/o. It will communicate with windows via serial (plug or wireless [if you don't need wireless, don't buy the Transmitter <$ ] )

Was looking at makng this computer dependant (ie computer turns each thing on or off) but i MAY end up having the uC be able to run autonomous and just recieve request from the computer (when it's on)

The intent of this was for minimal hardware cost. I would venture to say alot of folks have an old pc laying around to run this dedicated without wireless, So that is my first thought. (No cost for input device or display like normal controllers) if we get into trying to replicate an entry level controler the cost savings probalby won't be worth it.  

Still want to shoot for a goal of <$50. Even less if you don't need wireless ect...

Incase you can't tell I am bored on the plane and we still have another hour untill we land at LAX

Thoughts, ideas, oversights, improvements?

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 14:12:14 »
Mac user :(

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 14:38:55 »
Too bad  :)  I really have no idea how that would even work. I'll do some googleing but I don't expect it to be remotely easy to do. How about you build the iPhone app for it  :laugh:

Offline wolfeden3

• I hate aptasia!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Juvenile
  • I LOVE ZOANTHIDS AND SOFTIES!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 14:52:41 »
hey Wes, I'm not good at coding but i do know how to use vb. We chatted alittle about that the other night in chat. but i do know a bit about vb so if you need any help hit me up!
lotsa luck,
Garry
:) 90g w/ 30g refuge 776w mh w/ pc attinic f/o tank
;) 46 bow front new diy sump 192w pc f/c tank
;) 10g frag tank marine-land reef capable led

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 14:57:24 »
Too bad  :)  I really have no idea how that would even work. I'll do some googleing but I don't expect it to be remotely easy to do. How about you build the iPhone app for it  :laugh:

I would love to, as I own a iPhone. But I hate code, I did it briefly in school. No thanks! I think Neptune has an iPhone app.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 14:59:55 »
I would love to, as I own a iPhone. But I hate code, I did it briefly in school. No thanks! I think Neptune has an iPhone app.

found this.http://www.itwriting.com/dotnetmac.php
not ideal.... You don't have an old win95 pc or something before you switched to the darkside?

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 15:36:24 »
Wes, I would shy away from using a PC to control everything...

Consider this

An old PC might have a 250W powersupply in it.

(250W * 24 hours/day * 30 Days/month) / 1000 = 180kW/hr at $0.12/kW/hr your controller would cost you $21 a month in electricity alone.

Granted I doubt the power supply draws the 250W all the time (another reason for me to get a kill-a-watt) but it is something to consider. A larger up-front cost would be well worth it in the long run.

Now that I've done the math, I turning me PC off every night  ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 15:38:28 by jd »
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Reefd Up

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 15:38:32 »
But don't most people leave their computers running 24/7 anyway?

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 15:41:19 »
A lot of people do, but using a dedicated PC makes more sense. Every time your home PC had to restart or crashed, your tank would shut down. I'm use everyone has had windows reboot itself after an update before, think of that happening at midnight... your controller wouldn't start until you logged back in
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 15:45:24 by jd »
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 15:52:13 »
found this.http://www.itwriting.com/dotnetmac.php
not ideal.... You don't have an old win95 pc or something before you switched to the darkside?

All my "Macs" are PC's :D

I could install XP on a separate partition, but if it needs to run all time it won't work for me. I do have an older Via MiniITX board laying around. I could build something with that. And they consume very little power.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 17:49:50 »
It won't be pulling NEAR what the power supply is rated at. That 250w would be HD spinup plus heavy computing +CDROM+video+ USB + some saftey factor. I don't know how much it would actually pull, but it would be a monitor in standby and a CPU almost in idle.

Anyone have a killawatt to find out what a idle computer draws?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 17:55:00 »
A lot of people do, but using a dedicated PC makes more sense. Every time your home PC had to restart or crashed, your tank would shut down. I'm use everyone has had windows reboot itself after an update before, think of that happening at midnight... your controller wouldn't start until you logged back in

the tank wouldn't crash. It would just remain in the current state until it reconnects with the host. Ok looks like autonomous uC control will a goal after we get a prototype working.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 17:57:31 »
I do have an older Via MiniITX board laying around. I could build something with that. And they consume very little power.

exactly! That's the idea, use stuff we already have.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 19:53:00 »
Forgive me Wes, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

I think we need some kill-a-watts ;) I'mma go price'um
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 19:57:06 »
Forgive me Wes, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

I think we need some kill-a-watts ;) I'mma go price'um

If you find one, PM me. No one has one around here.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 20:04:51 »
I seen em at harbor frieght awhile back for around $20.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 20:07:21 »
www.newegg.com has them for $20 + $5.99 shipping
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Blown76mav

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 20:15:48 »
Mac user :(

+1  :'(

What if I can get a guy that is good at MAC programing would he be able to understand all this "Greek" and make some changes for it to work for us MAC guys?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 20:21:55 »
If someone can program a MAC (whatever language they use?), Visual Basic is really easy to understand.  Im not doing anything revolutionary here.  Anyone with a few hours of playing with visual studio could make the GUI. We will just be sending/recieveing serial messages to a microcontroller.  We'll see how crazy this project gets...

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 20:28:37 »
We'll see how crazy this project gets...

If I keep posting in this thread, very  ;)
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 20:59:23 »
I've used the Basic Stamp about 6 or 7 years ago.   Neat concept, but too crippled by the programming.   Have they done anything new?  But then the chip is already over the cost of the entire box.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 21:21:20 »
I use 5 Inputs into my controller for manual switches.  Sure I can go into the display and turn an output on, but I do this alot, so I have 3 manual switches, and then 2 for my float switches.   The controller as 6 availiable.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 22:02:02 »
I've used the Basic Stamp about 6 or 7 years ago.   Neat concept, but too crippled by the programming.   Have they done anything new?  But then the chip is already over the cost of the entire box.

Its got a nice IDE and debugging for quick prototyping.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 22:13:14 »
Just looked at thier web site, they've been busy over the years.  I think they had 2 or 3 chips back then.  Which version of the stamp do you use?

How do you do analog I/O with this?

Blown76mav

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 18:52:13 »
Ok, I talked to my guy and he said that the new MACs use the same processer as your PC's and you program it in C just like a PC.  But he did direct me to X10.com for a controller for the lights and such. 

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 19:02:53 »
Just looked at thier web site, they've been busy over the years.  I think they had 2 or 3 chips back then.  Which version of the stamp do you use?

How do you do analog I/O with this?

I just have a couple of BS2s. I don't have analog I/o setup yet. The uC will have it onboard, or well pic up a dedicated A/D. Haven't got that far yet :laugh:  and to make things worse, I am in LA for the next week and a half without access to visual studio or hardware  :(

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 19:05:58 »
Ok, I talked to my guy and he said that the new MACs use the same processer as your PC's and you program it in C just like a PC.

intresting... The whole .net suite is "common language" so vb or c++ it all compiles to the same asm code. The only thing I'm not sure about is the runtime compiler, maybe someone ported one over for MAC. Not sure...

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 19:07:15 »
. The uC will have it onboard, or well pic up a dedicated A/D. Haven't got that far yet :laugh:

*cough*Atmel*cough*
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Reefd Up

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 20:21:10 »
Oh dear goodness you guys out geeked us long ago!!!!!!

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 20:25:28 »
Oh dear goodness you guys out geeked us long ago!!!!!!

Don't you have some fluid dynamics Diff Eq to go solve?

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 20:30:30 »
Don't you have some fluid dynamics Diff Eq to go solve?

Nice burn.  :laugh:
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 21:02:30 »
There are ports of the .NET framework on the MAC.  Not sure which version they support or if they have full language set capability.

Oh you mean JD can do head loss calculations to build into the controller?

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 21:41:06 »

Oh you mean JD can do head loss calculations to build into the controller?

Yes, If you don't mind the answer to:

"How much flow will I get with Pump XYZ rated for X GPH @ 4" head?" being...

"Less and X, but probably more than 0... probably..."
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Blown76mav

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2009, 21:58:47 »
recipocating dinglearm and nomal truniuns.  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2009, 22:02:33 »
recipocating dinglearm and nomal truniuns.  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not giving any hints, but wait until you see the Splashscreen for the GUI

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2009, 22:52:38 »
Wes, when you are writing your GUI, don't forget to add the sator exception to the reverse lookup matrix, other wise it might not pass the EFT test when your build/compile.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline wolfeden3

• I hate aptasia!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Juvenile
  • I LOVE ZOANTHIDS AND SOFTIES!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 10:12:13 »
don't forget the flux capacitor inverted for the burping and hick-ups!
:) 90g w/ 30g refuge 776w mh w/ pc attinic f/o tank
;) 46 bow front new diy sump 192w pc f/c tank
;) 10g frag tank marine-land reef capable led

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 19:25:57 »
I started up a Wiki for the project. I dont know how useful it will be but you can check it out, edit it, or request features for the project.

Sorceforge.net had a really nice wiki, its the exact same at the one wikipedia uses, but it would require everyone to log in to edit.

I'll have somewhat of a shell of a program completed this weekend. I'll post it and you can provide feedback so it drives the project in the right direction.

http://reefcontrol.wikispaces.com/

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 11:55:13 »
The wiki is great, I highly suggest you request some features you'd like there

Visit http://reefcontrol.wikispaces.com/

Click EDIT in the top right hand corner.

And add your requested features to the bottom of the page
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2009, 02:34:22 »
Ok i got a shell working. The program is really bland and doesnt actually do anything. more like proof of concept. I'd like to get a person with XP and a person with Vista to try it out. I am trying to figure out which dependencies i have to package it with to work.

PM me if you'd like to give it a whirl.

PS it uninstalls fine after your done. Shows up in add/remove programs and will totally remove itself.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2009, 18:29:20 »
Ok, I leave tomorrow for another Week in CA.  Here's what I got after a few days of work.  From the few that tested it, it installs and uninstalls fine.  I'd love some more feedback on the overall setup and lay out.  I have to spend some time and think about a methodology of how to run the main page.  We need the ability to have nearly unlimited rules if the users would like.

eg. Right now I have heaters on/off based on temp, but a user may wish to turn on chiller, fan, and turn off lights as temperature gets to dangerous levels.

Much more work ahead (some ambitious ideas on the horizon)  ;D

Well, heres the link:
http://reefcontrol.wikispaces.com/file/view/reefcontrol.zip/97592441

please post feedback, and feature request on the Wiki:
http://reefcontrol.wikispaces.com/

slandis3

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2009, 22:19:30 »
Ok i got a shell working. The program is really bland and doesnt actually do anything. more like proof of concept. I'd like to get a person with XP and a person with Vista to try it out. I am trying to figure out which dependencies i have to package it with to work.

PM me if you'd like to give it a whirl.

PS it uninstalls fine after your done. Shows up in add/remove programs and will totally remove itself.

I have vista on my pc.  I can't believe I just admitted that on line.  :o

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2009, 22:42:05 »
I confirmed that it works on xp, vista, and windows 7

Let me know if anyone has any install issues.

One of our Mac guys wanna try it and tell me what error message they get?  ;D

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2009, 23:27:29 »
One of our Mac guys wanna try it and tell me what error message they get?  ;D

"Warning: Software too useful, please return to your liberal arts degree"

:laugh:
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Blown76mav

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 06:33:11 »
"Warning: Software too useful, please return to your liberal arts degree"

:laugh:

Thats not nice.  really it says "can't open not a .DMG file"

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2009, 07:24:38 »
I'll download when I've got some time and have a look see.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2009, 07:41:16 »
Thats not nice.  really it says "can't open not a .DMG file"

I've never owned a mac but apparently (google)  that is the equivilent to an Exe

I rewrote the "setup wizard" last night. It now allows for unlimited probes, outputs, and rules. Of course you'd actually be limited by how many pins the uC has, but this will allow upgrades to uCs without total rewrite of the software

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2009, 11:35:17 »
WOW that is some confussing talk going on. Looks like you guys have things in th eright direction but I got lost after the 2nd post.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2009, 17:56:18 »
Ok, build 2 (0.92) is almost ready to play with. Ton of work done this week. I cleaned up the Setup wizard so its allows more functionality and have created some "diagnostics" It allows you to Artificially tell the controller what the probes and switches readings are, so you can simulate tank parameters and see how the controller reacts. Hope to have this out by the end of the week for comments/suggestions

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2009, 20:30:27 »
Ok here's the link to build 0.93. http://reefcontrol.wikispaces.com/file/view/reefcontrol_0.93.zip/102031929/reefcontrol_0.93.zip remeber if you installed a previous version, you must goto add/remove programs and uninstall it before installing the latest build.

Setup Wizard is nearly complete (hardest part of the entire project)
Big announcement is the actual core of the controller is functional!!! The "diagnostics" tab next to "Main" allows you to inject readings for the probes. We dont have the hardware built, but by entering a value for a probe, it sends the info to the core EXACTLY as if a probe was there. The controller cannot tell the difference.  So basically its working with simulated I/O, but working none the less.

You can enter a reading and then flip back the the MAIN tab and see it updated and see how that affects the output based on the rules

More to come, Im just tired of looking at it for a few days, Remember to leave us comments/requests on the Wiki http://reefcontrol.wikispaces.com/

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 09:53:41 »
Hey guys...

I rec'd the following errors when trying to install on my XP Pro machine:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
   Windows          : 5.1.2600.196608 (Win32NT)
   Common Language Runtime    : 2.0.50727.3603
   System.Deployment.dll       : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
   mscorwks.dll          : 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)
   dfdll.dll          : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
   dfshim.dll          : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

SOURCES
   Deployment url         : file:///L:/Software/Reefcontrol/reefcontrol.application

IDENTITIES
   Deployment Identity      : reefcontrol.application, Version=0.9.3.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0d3ef76fec41652f, processorArchitecture=msil

APPLICATION SUMMARY
   * Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
   Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
   * Activation of L:\Software\Reefcontrol\reefcontrol.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + Downloading file:///L:/Software/Reefcontrol/Application Files/reefcontrol_0_9_3_1/reefcontrol.exe.manifest did not succeed.
      + Could not find a part of the path 'L:\Software\Reefcontrol\Application Files\reefcontrol_0_9_3_1\reefcontrol.exe.manifest'.
      + Could not find a part of the path 'L:\Software\Reefcontrol\Application Files\reefcontrol_0_9_3_1\reefcontrol.exe.manifest'.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
   No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
   There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
   * [11/12/2009 9:48:26 AM] : Activation of L:\Software\Reefcontrol\reefcontrol.application has started.
   * [11/12/2009 9:48:26 AM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
   * [11/12/2009 9:48:26 AM] : Installation of the application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
   Following errors were detected during this operation.
   * [11/12/2009 9:48:26 AM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
      - Downloading file:///L:/Software/Reefcontrol/Application Files/reefcontrol_0_9_3_1/reefcontrol.exe.manifest did not succeed.
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
         at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
         at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
         at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
         at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
         at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifest(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ManifestType manifestType, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
         at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadApplicationManifest(AssemblyManifest deploymentManifest, String targetDir, Uri deploymentUri, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, Uri& appSourceUri, String& appManifestPath)
         at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
         at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
         at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
         at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.Net.WebException
      - Could not find a part of the path 'L:\Software\Reefcontrol\Application Files\reefcontrol_0_9_3_1\reefcontrol.exe.manifest'.
      - Source: System
      - Stack trace:
         at System.Net.FileWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
         at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponse()
         at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.Net.WebException
      - Could not find a part of the path 'L:\Software\Reefcontrol\Application Files\reefcontrol_0_9_3_1\reefcontrol.exe.manifest'.
      - Source: System
      - Stack trace:
         at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)
         at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponseCallback(Object state)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
      - Source: mscorlib
      - Stack trace:
         at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
         at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
         at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
         at System.Net.FileWebStream..ctor(FileWebRequest request, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare sharing, Int32 length, Boolean async)
         at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
   No transaction information is available.

The file is here, in the "reefcontrol_093" sub-dir instead of the "reefcontrol" sub-dir:

L:\Software\Reefcontrol\reefcontrol_0.93\Application Files\reefcontrol_0_9_3_1>dir
 Volume in drive L is Iomega HDD
 Volume Serial Number is 4019-F222

Directory of L:\Software\Reefcontrol\reefcontrol_0.93\Application Files\reefcontrol_0_9_3_1

11/12/2009  09:46 AM    <DIR>          .
11/12/2009  09:46 AM    <DIR>          ..
10/23/2009  10:41 PM             3,638 clown-fish.ico.deploy
11/11/2009  08:05 PM             5,304 reefcontrol.application
11/02/2009  09:07 PM             6,275 reefcontrol.exe.config.deploy
11/11/2009  08:05 PM           321,536 reefcontrol.exe.deploy
11/11/2009  08:05 PM             8,474 reefcontrol.exe.manifest
10/24/2009  10:27 PM             9,662 reefcontrolicon.ico.deploy
               6 File(s)        354,889 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  1,106,543,267,840 bytes free

L:\Software\Reefcontrol\reefcontrol_0.93\Application Files\reefcontrol_0_9_3_1>
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:55:53 by rmstevensiii »
Dayton - 45459

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2009, 10:00:40 »
Do you have the .net framework installed?  It's a prerequiste, do you keep windows updater running?

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2009, 10:15:25 »
Yep... Windows updater is running, and .NET is installed:

C:\Documents and Settings\Me>wmic product > Installed_Programs.txt

C:\Documents and Settings\Me>type Installed_Programs.txt | findstr ".NET"
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2                         Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2                         {A3051CD0-2F64-3813-A88D-B8DCCDE8F8C7}  2009
0810     20090810000000.000000-000                                                                                     5             Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
                     C:\WINDOWS\Installer\1aa9de.msi               Microsoft Corporation                      3.2.30729
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1                                    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1                                    {CE2CDD62-0124-36CA-84D3-9F4DCF5C5BD9}  2009
0902     20090902000000.000000-000                                                                                     5             Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
                     C:\WINDOWS\Installer\1c682f.msi               Microsoft Corporation                      3.5.30729
Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP1                            Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP1                            {625386A4-B6B6-4911-A6E8-23189C3F2D15}  2007
0102     20070102000000.000000-000                                                                                     5             Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP1
                     C:\WINDOWS\Installer\2638bce5.msi             Microsoft Corporation                      2.0.6129
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2                         Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2                         {C09FB3CD-3D0C-3F2D-899A-6A1D67F2073F}  2009
1017     20091017000000.000000-000                                                                                     5             Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
                     C:\WINDOWS\Installer\fd342.msi                Microsoft Corporation                      2.2.30729
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1                                        Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1                                        {CB2F7EDD-9D1F-43C1-90FC-4F52EAE172A1}  2009
1017     20091017000000.000000-000                                                                                     5             Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
                     C:\WINDOWS\Installer\2dd918.msi               Microsoft                                  1.1.4322
Dayton - 45459

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2009, 11:17:33 »
Hmm.. It has to be a prereq problem. I installed it on both my computers before uploading, but they both have visual studios on them. Has anyone else successfully installed it?

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2009, 11:35:17 »
I don't know how your installer is written to work, but it appears to be looking in the wrong sub-dir for 1 of the files included in your .zip.  Did you recently append the version # to the sub-dirs?  If so, was the install script also updated?

The script is looking for this file:
L:/Software/Reefcontrol/Application Files/reefcontrol_0_9_3_1/reefcontrol.exe.manifest

Which is actually here:
L:\Software\Reefcontrol\reefcontrol_0.93\Application Files\reefcontrol_0_9_3_1\reefcontrol.exe.manifest

This could be a simple fix within the install script.
Dayton - 45459

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2009, 12:00:10 »
Wes, I just ran it on my auto-updated work computer and it ran fine. I have .net installed
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2009, 12:22:40 »
I don't know how your installer is written to work, but it appears to be looking in the wrong sub-dir for 1 of the files included in your .zip.  Did you recently append the version # to the sub-dirs?  If so, was the install script also updated?

The script is looking for this file:
L:/Software/Reefcontrol/Application Files/reefcontrol_0_9_3_1/reefcontrol.exe.manifest

Which is actually here:
L:\Software\Reefcontrol\reefcontrol_0.93\Application Files\reefcontrol_0_9_3_1\reefcontrol.exe.manifest

This could be a simple fix within the install script.

intresting... I did recently change that but I expect the compiler to "do what it does" I am running off the free visual studios so I don't get to write an installer. I just have a "publish" button that creates the folder I zipped and posted.

I just had another thought as to what could be wrong. I'll fix it tonight, but that's wierd that it installs on me and Joshs computers but not yours???

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2009, 12:29:02 »
Agreed.  Weird.  I tried it twice.  Both times, it failed with the same error.  If I get time, I'll try it on another 1 of my machines.

Mitch
Dayton - 45459

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2009, 19:57:35 »
Another small victory. I just successfully communicated from the PC based controller to a microcontroller.  That was the last unknown as to how hard that was going to be.  Now Josh needs to get to work on the hardware side  ;)

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2009, 20:44:21 »
Another small victory. I just successfully communicated from the PC based controller to a microcontroller.  That was the last unknown as to how hard that was going to be.  Now Josh needs to get to work on the hardware side  ;)

gah!

What interface and protocol did you use?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2009, 16:57:31 »
For all you that havent seen the DIY controller or cant install it (MACs  :'() I put together some screenshots of some of what we got so far.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2009, 17:35:08 »
Thats nice Wes but where is our Ohio Reef logo?  ;D

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2009, 18:32:44 »
What logo? All we have is a banner. Still waiting on our MAC user (and Josh) to make one :laugh:

Blown76mav

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2009, 19:00:20 »
MIght want to look again, I made one ;D

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2009, 00:12:33 »
Look again! I made four!  ;D
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Donation Request
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2009, 20:10:41 »
Hey everyone,

Wes and I are quickly moving from the software side of things to hardware. Since Wes and I's time is worthless, this hasn't been a problem until know. Hardware costs money, plain and simple. And while Wes and I are prepared to carry the burden of this project we figured we would has if anyone would like to make a donation. We would gladly accept money (be it $1, $5, $10) or equipment (pH probes, ORP, conductivity meters(on loan or otherwise) and loaner controllers)

Our controller will be sold at cost, your thanks will serve our insatiable urge for praise :)

So, if you'd like to give or loan us something, we would gladly accept it. The more equipment we have the sooner we can get the controller done. I will make sure that anyone who donates gets 1st priority of the finished controller.

Thanks,
Wes and JD
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2009, 21:29:07 »
I've already donated a pH probe and controller to Wes.   What are you planning to use for output modules.   I have some high power relays and moderate powered SSR's.   Alot of X10 modules, that can be used for parts.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2009, 21:47:13 »
Yes, I forgot to thank you Walltank (Paul? I think I called you Tom for the longest time, sorry :) )

You should see your pH probe in action as soon as my order comes in.

We're looking around at output modules. We're looking for cheap and popular.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2009, 21:50:55 »
I've already donated a pH probe and controller to Wes.   What are you planning to use for output modules.   I have some high power relays and moderate powered SSR's.   Alot of X10 modules, that can be used for parts.

I was thinking of a mixture of Triacs, SSRs, and relays. For things like Pumps that are On or Off 90% of the time, a relay would be work great.  And for other things: it depends on the expected switching frequency and load rating.

As for the pH probe, Cant thank you enough for letting me borrow it!  It was because of that idea that i got all spun up in this (been meaning dive into VB.net for awhile now anyways :laugh:)

Thanks Again!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 21:53:09 by cyberwollf »

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2009, 22:14:14 »
I was thinking of a mixture of Triacs, SSRs, and relays. For things like Pumps that are On or Off 90% of the time, a relay would be work great.  And for other things: it depends on the expected switching frequency and load rating.

As for the pH probe, Cant thank you enough for letting me borrow it!  It was because of that idea that i got all spun up in this (been meaning dive into VB.net for awhile now anyways :laugh:)

Thanks Again!

Are the outlets going to be modular from the base controller.  Anyway, just let me know if I can help.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2009, 22:20:07 »
Are the outlets going to be modular from the base controller.  Anyway, just let me know if I can help.

Yea, we'll advise on what kind of output to use on what kinds of loads. then you just plug it into the Microcontroller output port.

Soon as we get the Microcontrollers and have access to the A2D converts, We'll be on to the next steps.... Same ole same ole, waiting on hardware  :laugh:

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2010, 22:00:44 »
WHAT WHAT!?!?! this project isnt dead ?  :laugh:

I have been kicking myself for months to actually pull the trigger on this.  Well I did at work today!

I got a Temp probe comming, and a ton of parts for an Input/Output.

For roughly $30 (the price of a single DJ strip with 6 simple switchs) I orderd enough parts to build a 16 outlet, All independently controllable via relays, strip WITH rocker switchs to override the controller.

I already had the $30 arduino to run this, and previously bought an LCD screen for display.

Soon as I build the I/O panel, I will add temp probe, and slowly upgrade to pH monitoring. 

Bottom line, I actually ordered the parts I have been whining about for months  :laugh:

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2010, 10:23:15 »

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2010, 12:20:25 »
You ever figure out how you're gonna control that many I/Os?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2010, 12:22:54 »
i just bought enough to max out the microcontroller, i will worry about it later if i upgrade to more I/O lines

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2010, 12:41:03 »
How many does that leave you with? And did you buy me a temp sensor?  ;)
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2010, 13:03:16 »
thats a lot of on off switchs
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2010, 13:08:01 »
How many does that leave you with? And did you buy me a temp sensor?  ;)

I dont have notes infront of me, but not all of the switchs are controllable.  Skimmer for example, doesnt need to be controllable, but I do want an easy switch to kill it if i need too.

I did order a Temp sensor, but it was in hong kong off ebay, so maybe it'll come in next week.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2010, 13:08:37 »
thats a lot of on off switchs

Sure is, I was beginning to wonder if the brain of the system was a computer or Wes' finger.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2010, 13:10:55 »
both ;D ;D ;D
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2010, 13:11:57 »

I did order a Temp sensor, but it was in hong kong off ebay, so maybe it'll come in next week.

You misread what I asked, did you order ME a temp sensor.  ;D
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2010, 13:14:52 »
I wanted manual overide on most everything.  My Evo's will be controlled like a wavemaker, but I will have a single toggle switch to kill them if needed.

And you can see a few of the ON-OFF-ON switchs in the right, thats for things like fuge light. One "ON" will be for the timer like normal, but the other "ON" will manual to force the light one (if I want to look into the fuge while the light is off) so the switches are really used as TIMER-OFF-ON

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2010, 13:17:31 »
Are you just using one relay for both of your evo's? the NC and NO terminals?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2010, 13:23:13 »
120---> switch---> 2 relays----> evos

So i can run them both on, off, or wave

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2010, 20:35:34 »
Got a little of it done.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2010, 21:21:03 »
looken good u have it hooked up yet ?
SIZE DOES MATTER

slandis3

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2010, 21:25:31 »
I have a temp controller from a titanium heater if you guys want use it for parts

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2010, 21:26:13 »
No, I still have weeks of work, i just got a good start on it before i go out of town this week

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2010, 21:32:25 »
o ok  ;D
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Coral Squad

• Adult
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2010, 23:54:47 »
Ok starting a thread will at least make me publicly committed to this project (I'm Lazy :laugh:).  I have been working on this for the last few weeks or so. 

A simple black box in your stand with:
a few plugs for inputs. Temp, orp, pH...
a few outputs, lights, ato whatever... No need to get complicated, normal timers work fine, are dependable, and cheap.
a 433MHz transmitter connected to a receiver "black box" that plugs into a PC
All the interfacing and displays, graphs, etc will be on PC.

cost Total goal is <$50.
so: inputs, output, graphs and displays on PC...Looking for other suggestions and features.

Also, Visual Basic is kicking my butt. I will be in LA for 2 weeks and have a few VB books to read, but help from anyone well versed would be nice :laugh:

i know your target is 50 dollars but how much time to you have invested in building research, designing... and what is your time worh  lets SAY $15 AN HOUR  how much does that come out to on total investment

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2010, 00:09:18 »

i know your target is 50 dollars but how much time to you have invested in building research, designing... and what is your time worh  lets SAY $15 AN HOUR  how much does that come out to on total investment

If you enjoy making it, it doesn't count.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2010, 22:00:12 »
Ok, mostly due to Pauls good natured ribbing anytime I mention any of the MANY projects that I have started but not completed.... I broke this back out over the last few days.

Awhile back I ordered a digital temp sensor that is MUCH more accurate than the analog ones we previously played with.  Just stuck it in a glass of water from the fridge.  Its within 0.5 degrees of a meat therometer, And i'd venture to say that the digital temp sensor is the more accurate of the two.

I'll throw this on the tank and check out what my temp readings are.  I have never had a therometer on the tank so for all I know Im hitting 85 durring the day with MH running......Hope not lol.

Now to fix that pesky super low mag level I just tested.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2010, 22:03:15 »
Awesome! Glad to see this project getting resurrected.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2010, 22:28:04 »
Now, in Dueling DIY Fashion, I guess I have to get my project going... Thanks alot Wesley.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2010, 22:29:18 »
Blame Paul......soooooo is it bad if the tank is at 87? :(

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2010, 22:36:56 »
Blame Paul......soooooo is it bad if the tank is at 87? :(

Glad to be your re-inspiration.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2010, 22:45:41 »
glad to see its still alive   and maybe 87 mite be to high
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2010, 23:08:08 »
Ok... Umm how bad is 87? isnt 83 regarded as the higher end of the optimum range? Anyone else without a chiller regularly have temps this high? I cant believe its THAT bad since its how my tank has been running all summer...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2010, 23:11:09 »
as far as i know u didnt want the tank higher than 81 82
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2010, 23:11:33 »
Whats your infrared thermometer say?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2010, 23:29:08 »
I double checked it against the meat thermometer....

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2010, 23:49:57 »
High school chem tip-

pack a styro glass full of ice,add water,  stir, shake ect... If your probe reads 32f, then its dead on accurate.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2010, 00:15:25 »
I'll double check tomorrow. But I'm 99% sure the tank temp was 87.... What kind of damage will that do?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2010, 01:44:16 »
Wes it really depends on where your corals are from. Temps range from 68F - 89F on most reefs; at the extreme, 98F in the Red Sea. A lot of corals come from Caribbean where water temperature ranges from 85F-89F or Florida much lower . 87F seems really high for the average captive coral,  curious as to how the corals are doing and your 24 hour temp swing.

What temperature does your AC kick on?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2010, 07:08:43 »
AC usually set at 75 during day and 76 at night.  I'm about to go check the temp again. I left a fan blowing on the sump last night.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2010, 07:39:08 »
78.8 this morning.... Thats a pretty big daily temp swing.  Maybe this controller is bad news lol maybe i dont want to know how bad off my tank is...

Im going to leave the fan running on the tank all day. Looks like tonight Im building a fan control circuit.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2010, 08:11:32 »
thats a hugh temp swing
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2010, 08:46:41 »
Wes, Im bringing my Arduino stuff with me to work today, I'll try to whip up a fan controller circuit for us. Maybe I can even get a PCB made today... Do you have a link to the pH op-amp circuit?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2010, 09:01:54 »
You can find it from pH probe on wiki. I already have a Triac circuit breadboarded from an old Christmas light controller. Just need to dig it out

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2010, 17:17:08 »
Ok, Im at 80.6 right now. But the lights kick on at 2pm so they have only been on for 3 hours.  I will monitor as the night goes on.  I have a fan on it and the AC vents are open in basement and dehumidifier is off (it generates alot of heat)

I guess the fan is good for a few degrees of cooling.  I will get the fan control circuit going tonight.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2010, 20:44:16 »
fans do work great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2010, 20:58:07 »
pH Circuit designed, laid out and etched. Will populate and test tomorrow.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2010, 21:23:05 »
Got the fan control working. I'm finishing breadboarding the circuit to switch my korillia evos on and off every 15 seconds for wavemaker

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2010, 21:55:29 »
thats good do they turn on by temp  or time?   
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2010, 22:29:59 »
Fans turn on when temp is >80. 

Well the tank is still ~81.  which is good.  Maybe it was just the dehumidifier that was heating up the basement yesterday.  I turned the fan off and will measure tomorrow afternoon/night and see how much about 81 it is.  Im happy that im not forced to buy a chiller!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2010, 08:17:25 »
the dehumidifier put off that much heat ?
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2010, 20:51:03 »
OK now you can officially call it a controller.  It has a sensor and controls and output!!  :laugh:

This is the true definition of "breadBOARD" lol too many external cords so I just taped them down.  Of course I will put this in some enclosure and use terminals in the future.

Ok heres a video (kinda big 7MB) I have the temp sensor out of the tank, and when i put it in the tank and the temp >80.9 it turns the fan on.  Looks like my tank is running <82, which is good considering I saw it at 87 one day last week lol.  I need to go buy a cheap clip on fan to put in the stand

Gotta click the link to goto photobucket to see the video

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2010, 21:05:45 »
Thats cool man. You know, these plans, and a DIY how too could draw alot of traffic to the site.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2010, 21:18:39 »
Thats cool man. You know, these plans, and a DIY how too could draw alot of traffic to the site.

Still working on more functionality.  Need it to do much more before folks justify the money.  Its just an expensive ($40) fan contoller right now.  I might have korillia wavemaker done tonight ;)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2010, 21:20:17 »
Still working on more functionality.  Need it to do much more before folks justify the money.  Its just an expensive ($70) fan contoller right now.  I might have korillia wavemaker done tonight ;)

Now that would be cool!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2010, 22:32:00 »
looks good is it worken as well as u thought it would?
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2010, 23:30:15 »
looks good is it worken as well as u thought it would?

yep, runs all the code as expected.  Soon as josh finishes up the pH probe circuits, it will really become useful.  Can you say $20 calcium reactor controller :)

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2010, 23:59:38 »
yep, runs all the code as expected.  Soon as josh finishes up the pH probe circuits, it will really become useful.  Can you say $20 calcium reactor controller :)

I'll try to finish them tomorrow, but I've been swamped at work.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2010, 07:10:28 »
I'll try to finish them tomorrow, but I've been swamped at work.

By "swamped" you mean too many NBA Jam tournemts?  :laugh: :flame

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2010, 08:14:39 »
that is nice $20 controller i like the sound of that
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2010, 10:15:43 »

Thats what I am after :)

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2010, 10:32:48 »
Yeah, with my new tank setup, I am wanting to get a controller.  I will be holding off for a couple/few more months.  So hopefully you guys get it to where you can showoff the diagrams and offer up the code!

Looking forward to it!
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2010, 11:49:22 »
Yeah, with my new tank setup, I am wanting to get a controller.  I will be holding off for a couple/few more months.  So hopefully you guys get it to where you can showoff the diagrams and offer up the code!

Looking forward to it!

I wouldn't hold your breath. Looks at the date we started this thread. :) it was the initial idea to build an all inclusive controller, but now it looks like we are focusing on more specific area. A temp/fan controller, a cal reactor controller, wavemaker, etc. Not one box that does it all. It would never get done that way lol.

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2010, 11:50:51 »
Hahaha... we can dream can't we?!  Well keep up the good work anyway!
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2010, 17:11:49 »
ya but u both had a busy year
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2010, 20:11:00 »
I know someone who has a cool new wavemaker for their Korilla EVOs!! I have them switching every 15 seconds.  when you first put them on they tend to cavitate on startup and blow some bubbles, but after 20 mins or so, its a clean startup and has stirred up a bunch of detritus.

So BOOM, its a controller with 2 features lol Fan control and wavemaker.

What other kind of control are people looking for?

slandis3

« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2010, 20:15:51 »
ph,temp ( fans and 800w heater), ozone

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2010, 20:52:54 »
1. pH - Josh is finishing up the boards

2. Temp - Currently working.  I prefer not to give total heater control to a controller.  I like the idea of only safety cutoff.  Using a NC relay, just kill power to heaters if temp gets >82 (incase one gets stuck on)  I think overall temperature regulation is done pretty well in thermometers and its one less possible failure.  Bottomline, That is currently finished and working.

3. Ozone - The probe interface is very simple, but I dont have a probe to test it.  And cant justify buying a probe unless I have a Ozone Generator on my tank (hint hint Mike ;))

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2010, 21:01:24 »
For me? Temp/PH connected to an RJ45 at either end, have a long way from the controller to the controlled parts :D

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2010, 22:16:57 »
ph,temp fans heater and to turn off and on power heads
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2010, 22:24:00 »
Looks like once we get the pH finished.  We have enough functionality for lots of folks.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2010, 22:27:53 »
could u have it to run a chiller and heater?
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2010, 23:03:17 »

I have never used a chiller. How are they normally controlled?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2010, 08:13:34 »
well mine just kicks on when it hits 83  they just have a small controller  in it
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2010, 17:28:09 »
Been running the controller for over 24 hours and I'm really happy with it.  I like the wavemaker action on the korillias and the temp is perfect.  The fan is keeping the tank right at 80.9 (where the fan is set to kick on)  The fan will run for a few minutes, then turn off for a few minutes (if you dont want it to cycle as fast, some hysteresis can fix that.) so heaters keep tank at 78 at night and controller/fan keeps it at 80.9 durring day.  Love it!

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2010, 17:33:13 »
What all pumps will the wavemaker control?
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2010, 17:35:32 »
thats good to hear
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2010, 17:45:40 »
What all pumps will the wavemaker control?

Its basicly just an electronic switch that turns a 120v outlet on and off.  I am using the new Korillia Evo's.  Part of their selling point is they are allowed to be switched every 15 seconds and have no chatter on startup. 

Any 120v powerhead that doesnt chatter on startup would work.  If you have a 12v powerhead, you have already invested the money and probably already have a wavemaker.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2010, 19:47:13 »

It wouldn't run a chiller without modifying the chiller itself. All it is capable of is turning it on and off, which I believe (correct me if I am wrong) would be bad on the compression.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2010, 19:53:37 »
im hopen i can get rid of it with the fans
SIZE DOES MATTER

slandis3

« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2010, 19:55:34 »
Dave I think if you install a fan on your sump you can take the chiller off line. That would save you a ton of money.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2010, 19:57:11 »
thats what i was thinking going back to mendalsons friday and pick up 4 more of those fans to see
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2010, 20:05:00 »
Dave I think if you install a fan on your sump you can take the chiller off line. That would save you a ton of money.

No doubt, I put a couple cheap clip on fans on my tank and no more heat problems... as long as it isn't 95 outside.  I have my AC set to 75 and can get by with just one fan on low.  If it is really warm and I don't run the A/C... then fans akimbo at full tilt!
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2010, 20:22:34 »
It wouldn't run a chiller without modifying the chiller itself. All it is capable of is turning it on and off, which I believe (correct me if I am wrong) would be bad on the compression.

Correct, just turns on and off (which is all the built in chiller controller does) If you truly wanted to run it off of a 3rd party controller you would set it at say 70degrees (so its always on) and let the 3rd party controller turn it on and off, Much like when people set their heaters to 85 and let their reefkeeper turn them on and off.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2010, 20:49:07 »
Correct, just turns on and off (which is all the built in chiller controller does) If you truly wanted to run it off of a 3rd party controller you would set it at say 70degrees (so its always on) and let the 3rd party controller turn it on and off, Much like when people set their heaters to 85 and let their reefkeeper turn them on and off.
o ok
No doubt, I put a couple cheap clip on fans on my tank and no more heat problems... as long as it isn't 95 outside.  I have my AC set to 75 and can get by with just one fan on low.  If it is really warm and I don't run the A/C... then fans akimbo at full tilt!
thats what i am hopeing for 
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2010, 21:00:19 »
How much are those clip on fans at Mendelsons?  I need to get a couple new ones!
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2010, 21:02:13 »
im useing 5 inch 120 volt fans there 5 bucks
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2010, 21:11:04 »
Being that it's back to school time. I'd bet there are some cheap clip on fans for dorms in stores. I'm in the market for one too. Let me know what you find

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2010, 21:12:22 »
ill see if  theres any there
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2010, 21:14:35 »
That's how much I picked them up for a couple years ago at KMart.  So sounds good to me!
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2010, 22:54:06 »
Just ordered the stuff to make a DIY Ozone Generator :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2010, 08:17:20 »
Just ordered the stuff to make a DIY Ozone Generator :)
nice after seeing how slandis did his it didnt look that hard
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2010, 19:14:12 »
Ok wired up and it has a little hum and I can feel the "ionic breeze" but Im not sure what Ozone smells like lol.  I dont detect a strong odor...

The one thing that is interesting for those that have played with DIY ozone, There only 3 wires on the device.  you got the 120v hot and ground, then the 3rd wire goes to the "needle array".  So it just corona i guess.  Unlike when you connect the hot and ground of the HV output to metal separated by glass. 

So im not sure how much ozone it actually makes......

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SW-750/IONIZER/1.html

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2010, 19:36:08 »
How do you make Ozone? Do you buy a chemical and the generator doses it or something? Enlighten us Sinsei

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2010, 19:50:26 »
How do you make Ozone? Do you buy a chemical and the generator doses it or something? Enlighten us Sinsei

lol, no  ;)  Ozone is 03.  The simple way to do it is using a High Voltage Neon transformer (like Mike posted awhile back) something around 5000 volts.  then you basicly make a giant capacitor (2 conductors seperated by an insulator) aluminum tape between pannels of glass works well.  Then connecting each lead to each seperated metal sheet, it "trys" to arc but is seperated by glass.  This creates Corona, which attracts an extra oxygen molecule.  you make this happen in an enclosed case and pump air through it.

voila Ozone

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2010, 19:55:18 »
so the next question is how much ozone does this thing make? Its the guts from the "Ionic Breeze" so its meant to simply charge 2 plates and suck out dirt.  But it does create some ozone.  The other option is to rewire it and use it as an ozone gen...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2010, 20:09:36 »
That is interesting, what is its purpose in a reef tank, in laymans terms if you don't mind.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2010, 20:12:39 »
Ok, I turned the lights off and plugged it in.  There is little bits of Corona on the heads of the needles.  I put my finger up to it and it jumped to my finger like a tiny plasma globe, on that it shocks you lol.  Its SUPER low current so its really safe.  But getting real close to it, I smelled what im sure is Ozone.  Even if its really low amount and the generator runs 24/7 its super cheap and has to be good for the tank.

Anyone have a used ORP probe to donate?  :laugh: :laugh: ;D ;D Please...

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2010, 20:15:20 »
That is interesting, what is its purpose in a reef tank, in laymans terms if you don't mind.

I dont have the link offhand but Randy holmes farley has write up on it.  There are alot of claims, not sure how much is true, but its pretty common to dose Ozone.  Anytime you hear Calfo speak, he always says if there is one piece of equipment to splurg on after a skimmer its ozone (maybe he just owns Red Sea ozone generator stock though lol).

At levels it kills algae and bacteria, Raises ORP, promotes clarity, etc... A few googles will give you the answers

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
  • GIVE ME ONE OF EVERYTHING [just dont tell my wife]

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2010, 20:56:04 »
Here you go :) The little blue arc "tickles" lol

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2010, 22:41:50 »
did u get a glass box for it?
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2010, 22:47:27 »
Doesnt have to be glass with this one.  Im just gonna seal it in some tupperware lol

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2010, 22:58:17 »
o wow thats cool and easyer
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2010, 21:06:07 »
Ok Ozone Generator is finished.  I have no way to test it or determine how much ozone it is generating.  I will arc to your finger, and it has that electronic "freshy, airy" smell which i assume is ozone.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2010, 22:51:07 »
just dont leave it on
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2010, 08:53:50 »
Wes, If you where a real EE, you would have built a 250kV Tesla Coil by now. THAT puts off some ozone.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:07:53 by jd »
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2010, 09:22:19 »
Wes, If you where a real EE, you would have built a 250kV Tesla Coil by know. THAT puts off some ozone.

Too bad that would nuke my tank lol

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2010, 10:28:25 »

Buuuuut... it would look sweet doing it! haha ;D
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2010, 12:08:38 »

But you're water would be so clear!  ;D
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2010, 12:35:05 »
But you're water would be so clear!  ;D

And translucent fish too :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2010, 16:32:07 »
Wes, If you where a real EE, you would have built a 250kV Tesla Coil by now. THAT puts off some ozone.
that would be sweet
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2010, 17:30:12 »
so when we going to have one?  cince i got ride of my chiller would just need one to kick the fan on
SIZE DOES MATTER