2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Diy Low cost controller  (Read 24122 times)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Diy Low cost controller
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2009, 22:14:14 »
I was thinking of a mixture of Triacs, SSRs, and relays. For things like Pumps that are On or Off 90% of the time, a relay would be work great.  And for other things: it depends on the expected switching frequency and load rating.

As for the pH probe, Cant thank you enough for letting me borrow it!  It was because of that idea that i got all spun up in this (been meaning dive into VB.net for awhile now anyways :laugh:)

Thanks Again!

Are the outlets going to be modular from the base controller.  Anyway, just let me know if I can help.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2009, 22:20:07 »
Are the outlets going to be modular from the base controller.  Anyway, just let me know if I can help.

Yea, we'll advise on what kind of output to use on what kinds of loads. then you just plug it into the Microcontroller output port.

Soon as we get the Microcontrollers and have access to the A2D converts, We'll be on to the next steps.... Same ole same ole, waiting on hardware  :laugh:
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2010, 22:00:44 »
WHAT WHAT!?!?! this project isnt dead ?  :laugh:

I have been kicking myself for months to actually pull the trigger on this.  Well I did at work today!

I got a Temp probe comming, and a ton of parts for an Input/Output.

For roughly $30 (the price of a single DJ strip with 6 simple switchs) I orderd enough parts to build a 16 outlet, All independently controllable via relays, strip WITH rocker switchs to override the controller.

I already had the $30 arduino to run this, and previously bought an LCD screen for display.

Soon as I build the I/O panel, I will add temp probe, and slowly upgrade to pH monitoring. 

Bottom line, I actually ordered the parts I have been whining about for months  :laugh:

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2010, 10:23:15 »

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2010, 12:20:25 »
You ever figure out how you're gonna control that many I/Os?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2010, 12:22:54 »
i just bought enough to max out the microcontroller, i will worry about it later if i upgrade to more I/O lines

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2010, 12:41:03 »
How many does that leave you with? And did you buy me a temp sensor?  ;)
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2010, 13:03:16 »
thats a lot of on off switchs
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2010, 13:08:01 »
How many does that leave you with? And did you buy me a temp sensor?  ;)

I dont have notes infront of me, but not all of the switchs are controllable.  Skimmer for example, doesnt need to be controllable, but I do want an easy switch to kill it if i need too.

I did order a Temp sensor, but it was in hong kong off ebay, so maybe it'll come in next week.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2010, 13:08:37 »
thats a lot of on off switchs

Sure is, I was beginning to wonder if the brain of the system was a computer or Wes' finger.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2010, 13:10:55 »
both ;D ;D ;D
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2010, 13:11:57 »

I did order a Temp sensor, but it was in hong kong off ebay, so maybe it'll come in next week.

You misread what I asked, did you order ME a temp sensor.  ;D
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2010, 13:14:52 »
I wanted manual overide on most everything.  My Evo's will be controlled like a wavemaker, but I will have a single toggle switch to kill them if needed.

And you can see a few of the ON-OFF-ON switchs in the right, thats for things like fuge light. One "ON" will be for the timer like normal, but the other "ON" will manual to force the light one (if I want to look into the fuge while the light is off) so the switches are really used as TIMER-OFF-ON

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2010, 13:17:31 »
Are you just using one relay for both of your evo's? the NC and NO terminals?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2010, 13:23:13 »
120---> switch---> 2 relays----> evos

So i can run them both on, off, or wave

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2010, 20:35:34 »
Got a little of it done.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2010, 21:21:03 »
looken good u have it hooked up yet ?
SIZE DOES MATTER

slandis3

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2010, 21:25:31 »
I have a temp controller from a titanium heater if you guys want use it for parts

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2010, 21:26:13 »
No, I still have weeks of work, i just got a good start on it before i go out of town this week

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2010, 21:32:25 »
o ok  ;D
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Coral Squad

• Adult
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2010, 23:54:47 »
Ok starting a thread will at least make me publicly committed to this project (I'm Lazy :laugh:).  I have been working on this for the last few weeks or so. 

A simple black box in your stand with:
a few plugs for inputs. Temp, orp, pH...
a few outputs, lights, ato whatever... No need to get complicated, normal timers work fine, are dependable, and cheap.
a 433MHz transmitter connected to a receiver "black box" that plugs into a PC
All the interfacing and displays, graphs, etc will be on PC.

cost Total goal is <$50.
so: inputs, output, graphs and displays on PC...Looking for other suggestions and features.

Also, Visual Basic is kicking my butt. I will be in LA for 2 weeks and have a few VB books to read, but help from anyone well versed would be nice :laugh:

i know your target is 50 dollars but how much time to you have invested in building research, designing... and what is your time worh  lets SAY $15 AN HOUR  how much does that come out to on total investment

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2010, 00:09:18 »

i know your target is 50 dollars but how much time to you have invested in building research, designing... and what is your time worh  lets SAY $15 AN HOUR  how much does that come out to on total investment

If you enjoy making it, it doesn't count.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2010, 22:00:12 »
Ok, mostly due to Pauls good natured ribbing anytime I mention any of the MANY projects that I have started but not completed.... I broke this back out over the last few days.

Awhile back I ordered a digital temp sensor that is MUCH more accurate than the analog ones we previously played with.  Just stuck it in a glass of water from the fridge.  Its within 0.5 degrees of a meat therometer, And i'd venture to say that the digital temp sensor is the more accurate of the two.

I'll throw this on the tank and check out what my temp readings are.  I have never had a therometer on the tank so for all I know Im hitting 85 durring the day with MH running......Hope not lol.

Now to fix that pesky super low mag level I just tested.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2010, 22:03:15 »
Awesome! Glad to see this project getting resurrected.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2010, 22:28:04 »
Now, in Dueling DIY Fashion, I guess I have to get my project going... Thanks alot Wesley.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.