2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Diy Low cost controller  (Read 24118 times)

Offline HUNGER

Re: Diy Low cost controller
« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2010, 19:53:37 »
im hopen i can get rid of it with the fans
SIZE DOES MATTER

slandis3

« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2010, 19:55:34 »
Dave I think if you install a fan on your sump you can take the chiller off line. That would save you a ton of money.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2010, 19:57:11 »
thats what i was thinking going back to mendalsons friday and pick up 4 more of those fans to see
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2010, 20:05:00 »
Dave I think if you install a fan on your sump you can take the chiller off line. That would save you a ton of money.

No doubt, I put a couple cheap clip on fans on my tank and no more heat problems... as long as it isn't 95 outside.  I have my AC set to 75 and can get by with just one fan on low.  If it is really warm and I don't run the A/C... then fans akimbo at full tilt!
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2010, 20:22:34 »
It wouldn't run a chiller without modifying the chiller itself. All it is capable of is turning it on and off, which I believe (correct me if I am wrong) would be bad on the compression.

Correct, just turns on and off (which is all the built in chiller controller does) If you truly wanted to run it off of a 3rd party controller you would set it at say 70degrees (so its always on) and let the 3rd party controller turn it on and off, Much like when people set their heaters to 85 and let their reefkeeper turn them on and off.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2010, 20:49:07 »
Correct, just turns on and off (which is all the built in chiller controller does) If you truly wanted to run it off of a 3rd party controller you would set it at say 70degrees (so its always on) and let the 3rd party controller turn it on and off, Much like when people set their heaters to 85 and let their reefkeeper turn them on and off.
o ok
No doubt, I put a couple cheap clip on fans on my tank and no more heat problems... as long as it isn't 95 outside.  I have my AC set to 75 and can get by with just one fan on low.  If it is really warm and I don't run the A/C... then fans akimbo at full tilt!
thats what i am hopeing for 
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2010, 21:00:19 »
How much are those clip on fans at Mendelsons?  I need to get a couple new ones!
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2010, 21:02:13 »
im useing 5 inch 120 volt fans there 5 bucks
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2010, 21:11:04 »
Being that it's back to school time. I'd bet there are some cheap clip on fans for dorms in stores. I'm in the market for one too. Let me know what you find

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2010, 21:12:22 »
ill see if  theres any there
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2010, 21:14:35 »
That's how much I picked them up for a couple years ago at KMart.  So sounds good to me!
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2010, 22:54:06 »
Just ordered the stuff to make a DIY Ozone Generator :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2010, 08:17:20 »
Just ordered the stuff to make a DIY Ozone Generator :)
nice after seeing how slandis did his it didnt look that hard
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2010, 19:14:12 »
Ok wired up and it has a little hum and I can feel the "ionic breeze" but Im not sure what Ozone smells like lol.  I dont detect a strong odor...

The one thing that is interesting for those that have played with DIY ozone, There only 3 wires on the device.  you got the 120v hot and ground, then the 3rd wire goes to the "needle array".  So it just corona i guess.  Unlike when you connect the hot and ground of the HV output to metal separated by glass. 

So im not sure how much ozone it actually makes......

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SW-750/IONIZER/1.html

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2010, 19:36:08 »
How do you make Ozone? Do you buy a chemical and the generator doses it or something? Enlighten us Sinsei

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2010, 19:50:26 »
How do you make Ozone? Do you buy a chemical and the generator doses it or something? Enlighten us Sinsei

lol, no  ;)  Ozone is 03.  The simple way to do it is using a High Voltage Neon transformer (like Mike posted awhile back) something around 5000 volts.  then you basicly make a giant capacitor (2 conductors seperated by an insulator) aluminum tape between pannels of glass works well.  Then connecting each lead to each seperated metal sheet, it "trys" to arc but is seperated by glass.  This creates Corona, which attracts an extra oxygen molecule.  you make this happen in an enclosed case and pump air through it.

voila Ozone

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2010, 19:55:18 »
so the next question is how much ozone does this thing make? Its the guts from the "Ionic Breeze" so its meant to simply charge 2 plates and suck out dirt.  But it does create some ozone.  The other option is to rewire it and use it as an ozone gen...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2010, 20:09:36 »
That is interesting, what is its purpose in a reef tank, in laymans terms if you don't mind.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2010, 20:12:39 »
Ok, I turned the lights off and plugged it in.  There is little bits of Corona on the heads of the needles.  I put my finger up to it and it jumped to my finger like a tiny plasma globe, on that it shocks you lol.  Its SUPER low current so its really safe.  But getting real close to it, I smelled what im sure is Ozone.  Even if its really low amount and the generator runs 24/7 its super cheap and has to be good for the tank.

Anyone have a used ORP probe to donate?  :laugh: :laugh: ;D ;D Please...

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2010, 20:15:20 »
That is interesting, what is its purpose in a reef tank, in laymans terms if you don't mind.

I dont have the link offhand but Randy holmes farley has write up on it.  There are alot of claims, not sure how much is true, but its pretty common to dose Ozone.  Anytime you hear Calfo speak, he always says if there is one piece of equipment to splurg on after a skimmer its ozone (maybe he just owns Red Sea ozone generator stock though lol).

At levels it kills algae and bacteria, Raises ORP, promotes clarity, etc... A few googles will give you the answers

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
  • GIVE ME ONE OF EVERYTHING [just dont tell my wife]

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2010, 20:56:04 »
Here you go :) The little blue arc "tickles" lol

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2010, 22:41:50 »
did u get a glass box for it?
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2010, 22:47:27 »
Doesnt have to be glass with this one.  Im just gonna seal it in some tupperware lol

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2010, 22:58:17 »
o wow thats cool and easyer
SIZE DOES MATTER