2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hunger's new sump, step by step.  (Read 3832 times)

Blown76mav

Hunger's new sump, step by step.
« on: November 21, 2009, 20:15:50 »
So today I helped Hunger (Dave) build his sump, here is a step-by-step pictorial or as close to step-by-step as I could get.

1st we cut all the material down to size, Then I used double sided tape to hold the squares to the bottom piece while I glued the 1st side.  The clamps help hold the side in place.

Blown76mav

Re: Hunger's new sump, step by step.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 20:19:18 »
While the side was drying I needed to cut some holes in one of the ends and baffles.  The skimmer will sit on this end and draw water from the other end.  The other holes were for skimmer return and pump feed.

To make the holes I used templates and the router table.  Double sided tape was used once again to hold templates to the piece I was working with.

Blown76mav

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 20:26:03 »
After all the holes were cut, it was time to mount the ends.  Same as before, squares and clamps.

After the bottom dried, we flipped the sump on its side and did the other seam.  Notice no squares, they are not needed since the bottom is glued and all we had to do was follow an edge.  You can also see the holes cut in one end.

Blown76mav

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 20:30:31 »
Next is the last side, again no squares as we are leaning it against two sides already done.  The only thing I did was to place the baffles in place as a spacer to make sure the middle didn't go in too far.  We also slid in the pipe to align everything as well.

Blown76mav

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 20:38:34 »
Ok, heres where the work went faster than the pictures, sorry.  We installed the baffles and Dave wanted a filter sock holder.  So using the template I had made for the hang on filter sock holder I made one that would go on top of his baffle to keep splash down.  We used wood to space the baffles out.  On the triple baffle I glued the center one first then did the two outer ones.  The top brace is just sitting there for looks and ideas......

Blown76mav

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 20:47:54 »
Ok, now for the idea...  Dave said man it would be nice to have a cover so I don't get slat creep or splash with the socks get full.  So I made a cover out of some scrap.  Then we figured we could drill and tap the top brace so it could be removable.  Ya bad idea on my part to wait till the top brace was glued in place....of course the last hole decided to crack the brace.  I glued in the broken piece and continued on my way.  No I didn't take a picture of it either.  Here is the cover just sitting on the brace which at this time still wasn't glued on.

And here is all the baffles in place with the pipe that will feed the skimmer.

Blown76mav

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 20:52:19 »
Ok, for some reason we didn't take pictures of gluing on the top brace.  But here is how its done.  The top brace is placed on the table, then the sump is placed upsidedown on top of brace.  We then had to hang each edge of the sump over the edge of the table and reach inside to glue the brace to the sump.  We used clamps and tape to keep brace in place.  After if dried we took the sump out to the router and flush trimmed all the edges to make it look nice.  Then I proceeded to sand all the edges starting with 320, then to 400 then to 800. 

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 20:54:09 »
Wow.. nice..  so the water feeds into the filter sock.. which that area feeds the skimmer.  what is going in the middle "compartment" of the sump and what is at the other end of it?

How big is this sump.

great work and I love seeing this.....

Blown76mav

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 20:54:33 »
After the sanding was complete I used a hand buffer and white rouge, followed by blue rouge to polish all the edges that were glued.

Blown76mav

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 20:58:13 »
Ok, so after the outside was polished the inside was all dusty and I figured hey its been a few hours, lets water test it.  We started on this at 9 a.m. and it was now 5:30 p.m.   I know it should set for 24 hours but we weren't planing on leaving the water in it....

Hey look it holds water, yes thats masking tape over the holes (and it held!!!! Now I know how to fix a leaking tank LOL)

Blown76mav

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 21:01:18 »
So after I impressed Dave with a watertight sump it was time to really turn it on, Flame Polishing.....

Oh did I forget to mention I like things that have a flame, no sissy propane torch here, lets break out the big boys....

Blown76mav

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 21:03:11 »
Ok, here it is finished.  All polished, cleaned and ready to go to its new home.

This was a great project for a crappy game day.....

Blown76mav

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 21:06:07 »
Wow.. nice..  so the water feeds into the filter sock.. which that area feeds the skimmer.  what is going in the middle "compartment" of the sump and what is at the other end of it?

How big is this sump.

great work and I love seeing this.....

Thanks,

the middle is going to be a deep sand bed with mangroves.  The other end is where the pump gets its water to return to the tank (return section)

This sump is 60" x 19" x 18" 

In the last picture you can see the auto top off bracket I made as well.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 22:15:55 »
 im so happy with it  :o :o  it looks better in person i love it  thanx again lonnie you are amazing  ;D ;D
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 23:20:21 »
WOW!
You know it's people like you that really make me feel inadequate :D ;)!
Nice job.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 23:24:08 »
yeah what he said ^^^ That looks great congrats hunger , that is a step by step sump build for the books , great job mav

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 23:25:35 »
Next is the last side, again no squares as we are leaning it against two sides already done.  The only thing I did was to place the baffles in place as a spacer to make sure the middle didn't go in too far.  We also slid in the pipe to align everything as well.

whats up with the top secret step man.

Blown76mav

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 23:29:55 »
??????  no secret step, pictures just out of order.  LOL  one is the side and the top one is the spacing of the baffles.

Blown76mav

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 23:33:07 »
WOW!
You know it's people like you that really make me feel inadequate :D ;)!
Nice job.

Thanks

Not trying to make anyone feel inadequate, in fact I held a meeting in November where I did this live on a smaller scale and even invited people to help out (though no one did)  Next time I'm planning on doing one where everyone makes something.....

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 23:38:20 »
that be cool
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 00:08:17 »
very cool indeed

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 01:06:28 »
Nice write up

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 09:50:59 »
Awesome work Lonnie, as always!

Now... I need one like that, minus the baffles and add 132"  ;)
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 12:33:36 »
Fantastic post !

Now I need to talk to you about a HOB refugium I have been wanting for my 26g  ;D

Kenn
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 00:53:17 »
I see the start of a small business. great job, might be contacting you later about one, i am there will be a wait.
55 gal working on upgrading to 120 with a 55 Sump(unless I find a deal on a bigger tank)