2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Temp and pH Controller  (Read 10072 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Re: Temp and pH Controller
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2010, 22:47:43 »
Another idea to simplify design.  Ususaly you are only running a probe to monitor the tank OR a reactor. So if you know which case you will use exclusively we can set the onboard ADC to read it.

for Cal reactor are are running ~4 Ph.  That would be ~-0.18V output.  If you run that through an inverting buffer you get 0.18V and just set the ADC from 0-0.25V and you should get excellent resolution

for tank monitoring ~8 pH.  that would be ~0.10V.  If that was put through an NONinverting buffer and set the ADC for 0-0.15V you should get excellent resolution.

I would think it would be rare to measure both tank and reactor with a single probe. Is that assumption correct? That was our problem. We had to be able to scale the voltage to all positive without corrupting a very small signal.  At the very least this REALLY simplifies the dedicated Cal reactor controller.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2010, 22:49:35 »
The above idea would allow 2 probes to run on independent ADCs with a single 0.25v reference voltage.

One port would be for the acidic probe while the other was for the basic probes. 

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2010, 22:54:26 »
If we can find a ADC that will handle all of our application without having to throw switches, I'd rather do that. This way, we can use one ADC and multiplex a large number of inputs while reusing the same conversion code, yeah know?

EDIT: two ADC's add cost....
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2011, 22:38:20 »
Bump, could i get a parts list and where to buy them for this? Thanks

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2011, 10:20:00 »
Like everything me an Josh did, this never got finished lol.  pH is a pita becuase you have to multply the probe output by -17 (if i remember correctly).  What are you trying to do?  honestly in the time since we played around with this project the new reefkeepers lites are SOO cheap now, its almost not worth it