2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: DIY Square Skimmer  (Read 16804 times)

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: DIY Square Skimmer
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2010, 22:29:27 »
so I've heard.  I'll have to sweet talk him and see what he and I can work out

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2010, 22:33:48 »
Skimmer is really easy... I dont think i would trust my "skills" at an overflow, thats alot to risk. 
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2010, 22:39:40 »
ya and he does sumps to so if u had all that done and a skimmer that would be awsome
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2010, 22:41:56 »
ya and he does sumps to so if u had all that done and a skimmer that would be awsome

how cool would this be: When building a custon sump, use one corner and make a BUILT IN square skimmer! that would be soo sweet.

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2010, 22:43:30 »
yes it would
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2010, 23:07:21 »
I'm gonna need one of these for my 10 gallon.  Already not wanting to do a water change every other day.  I need to build a sump and an overflow.  How are you at building overflows?

I have plans for a HOB version of the little skimmer I made.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2010, 08:17:55 »
that be cool
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2010, 17:22:14 »
yes very cool indeed, is anyone writing this down? lets see some pricing on the build plz,(or did i miss that) and maybe adjustment for bigger/smaller ones. cyber that is actually a great idea and even if performance where to fall alil short of expectations i think it would be great for smaller set ups, where the skimming does not need to be as productive do to water changes i would love to try this out, where do you all buy acrylic from as i am sure you know the best place to get it locally.     

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2010, 17:42:36 »
Meyer plastic is where I got it, I don't know if anywhere else sells acyrlic locally. For my big one I'd guess the acrylic/PVC problaby cost me under $20. Much less for smaller skimmer or differnt water level adjustment types

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2010, 17:45:00 »
its about 126.00 for a full sheet now
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2010, 19:15:25 »
you can buy scrap and its much cheaper  ;)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2010, 19:26:06 »
yes it is
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2010, 23:02:40 »
OMG it works!!! its not broken in, i just threw some skimmate from my other skimmer into the tub, so its probably higher % disolved organics than a tank, but its pretty sweet to see dirty dry foam in a few minutes

Its SOLID white with microbubbles. its crazy! also the flow seems to be just right where the microbubbles dont enter the output chamber so they wont get into the tank.

We still need to make a lid with baffels to direct the foam into the collection cup. Also i need some more 1" pvc the standpipe is a tad too short (need to raise water level) and the output needs be longer.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2010, 23:04:25 »
Also, check out those awesomely gruesome acrylic joints...Skimmers are suppose to have bubbles right  ;D

Reefd Up

« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2010, 23:08:17 »
Wow you guys...this is great! 

How did you all design the skimmers?  Why the height, thinness, curve radius, etc? 

Mercy...what did you use to cut the acrylic?  A hacksaw?  We've had problems with cheapo blades getting more bubbles in the seams.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2010, 23:11:07 »
Mercy...what did you use to cut the acrylic? 

Butter Knife.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2010, 23:11:53 »
Wow you guys...this is great! 

How did you all design the skimmers?  Why the height, thinness, curve radius, etc? 

Mercy...what did you use to cut the acrylic?  A hacksaw?  We've had problems with cheapo blades getting more bubbles in the seams.

I wanted something tall. i dont like the short fat designs used today.  Contact time is great. and talk to josh about the cuts  ;D

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2010, 21:10:01 »
Hello everyone, the Doctor here. I've spend the last few days doing CPR on a patient and haven't had time to post. Did you know that CPR doesn't always work?! Who knew! Here are some new pictures of the frankenskimmer in my sump on my 29. And to show that my PhD in liberal arts didn't go to waste, I wrote a haiku

Skimmers always foam
Skimmate  tastes like salty snot
Hippopotamus 

Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Blown76mav

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2010, 22:30:49 »
Also, check out those awesomely gruesome acrylic joints...Skimmers are suppose to have bubbles right  ;D

You were right Wes those joints look nasty.  I would recommend a acrylic class of some sort.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2010, 22:35:24 »
You were right Wes those joints look nasty.  I would recommend a acrylic class of some sort.

Our main problem was we didn't know the fence on the saw was moving on the back end, so that screwed our first cut up, that messed the rest up.  ;D
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Blown76mav

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2010, 22:45:29 »
Ya, he told me that when we talked on the phone. Well I'm sure with practice you guys will get it sooner or later.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2010, 19:37:41 »
still looks good  and worken nicely i mite say
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2010, 19:53:50 »
Its online plumbed into the main systems OHHH SNAP!!!

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2010, 23:01:23 »
Attention Haters:

Presenting the MDS-75

(That stands for Mr. Dr. Skimmer - 75 Liter)

A few notes:

The tank has zero bioload right now.
I still need to make a new silencer, that one is from my other skimmer.
The blue plastic at the bottom is stuffing a hole that is tapped for a drain plug, I let the screw at work.
Runs off a maxi1200 with no restriction on the air intake.
Stands about 17" tall, has a footprint of 3"x5".
It is nearly silent.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 23:05:33 by jd »
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2010, 23:05:30 »
Looking good.  what are you using for the bulkheads?  I have mine running in deeper water in my new sump and it performs MUCH better