2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Phosphate Reduction  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Cyaatt

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
Phosphate Reduction
« on: January 26, 2020, 20:46:48 »
It seems my Phosphate is starting to outrun my Nitrate currently on one of my tanks.  I have attached my current parameters to see if there is something I'm overlooking.  This tank has been a curse for me over the last year but I finally feel like it's turned the corner and has started to become more stable to the point I'm adding fish again.  Are there any recommendations on what I need to be looking at to get this down outside of the normal water change/gfo?  In case the picture doesn't upload, the Nitrate is currently at 4ppm and the phosphate is 1.36mgL.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Re: Phosphate Reduction
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 21:25:47 »
Adding Kalkwasser through my ATO significantly lowered my phosphate levels. PhosphateRx and GFO weren’t doing the trick and are slightly more complicated to do correctly. It also has the benefit of magically stabilizing the Alk/Ca parameters. It’s worth a try if you haven’t experimented with it before.

Offline Cyaatt

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 08:08:51 »
I've never used Kalkwasser, although I have heard some good things about it.  I've been trying to use ESV Bionic but I haven't quite figured it out completely.  Currently, I'm seeing changes in alk without the same changes being present in Cal and Mg.  I know I'm supposed to dose the 2 part equally, but the testing results to this point don't support doing that.  While that has nothing to do with my Phosphate issue, it's part of my overall challenge right now with these tanks.  I started dosing NoPoX again as a stop-gap measure until I figure out what to do next.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 12:40:01 »
Do some reading on lanthanum chloride. I’ve used it for years. It’s cheap (I’m all about that) and works extremely well with no side effects that I have ever noticed.
Jeff

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 12:00:13 »
Do some reading on lanthanum chloride. I’ve used it for years. It’s cheap (I’m all about that) and works extremely well with no side effects that I have ever noticed.
Jeff

i have used it before as well, if there are Tangs in the tank you should educate yourself about them and Lanthanum. go slow as well.