2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: how to glue underwater  (Read 3227 times)

apelaston

how to glue underwater
« on: November 03, 2008, 01:08:22 »
Any suggestions? or what type of glue to use? i want to place some frags in place but moving the rock and draining the tank are non optional . . .

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
Re: how to glue underwater
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 01:35:09 »
Gel Super Glue.  It works great and you can buy a pack of 5 for about $6.  There are also glues that are made for it.  The putty stuff doesn't work very well.   I have been using super glue for 2 years.  It has to be gel.  Put the gel on the on the coral where you want it to stick and put it on the rock.  Just hold it in place for 30 sec to a minute and you are good to go.  If it doesn't stick add some more gel and place it again.  You can even use the tube under water but it is easier out of the water. Hope this helps.
Dayton,Ohio

apelaston

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 01:40:00 »
Yup same thing the last person told me i was just seeing what my options were. . .looks like i have some frag plugs to remove and some coral to glue tomorow. . .

apelaston

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 02:06:34 »
K i have a monti cap and my fave cats paw n place...i turned the flow down on that side til morning so we will see how it holds.

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:06:26 »
super glue only way to go hardens quick under water

apelaston

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 10:09:52 »
The frags i glued last night are intact still and i have turned all my flow back on. . .just have to goop it on and hold it for a minute. . . awesome! i am excited to be rid of these plugs

Midwest Express

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 17:38:43 »
Be careful what gel superglue you buy.  I somehow got lucky and got some off brand gel glue from my brother and it isn't very gel like at all!  It is not fun to work with when fragging and doesn't hold well (except your fingers).

So just because it says gel... doesn't mean it is.  Stick to name brands unless you buy a single tube at a time to test them out.  I will post the name of the "gel" super glue I have that sucks when I get home tonight.

apelaston

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 18:22:02 »
Yea pht  i c this after i lose a chuck of flesu..thanks :^)

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 19:09:23 »
SCUBA ?  THEN YOU CAN GO VISIT WITH YOUR CRAB IN THE GRASS SKIRT :laugh: