2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: help ca/mg levels  (Read 1262 times)

Offline dlcrawle

• Adult
help ca/mg levels
« on: February 10, 2011, 00:03:01 »
My ca is 300 and mg is 1480 is this bad? If so what should I do to stabilize it? Levels should be 380-410 and mg1200-1300 right? Everything still looks good and mushrooms and zoas are growing great but I also have some acans and favia and a couple acros. That look great right now but havent been in there that long. Thanks for any help/advice

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
Re: help ca/mg levels
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 00:53:35 »
I wouldn't worry about your mag level but you need to figure out what your alkalinity is.  I would guess it is low.  There is a good article on the calcium/alkalinity relationship written by randy holmes farley that you can find searching on google.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 08:34:30 »
Mag like a stabalizer,  if it is low you will have trouble with keeping cal/alk up.   Calcuim and Alk are the ones that are less stable and consumed based on stony coral growth.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 09:30:50 »
Mag like a stabalizer,  if it is low you will have trouble with keeping cal/alk up.   Calcuim and Alk are the ones that are less stable and consumed based on stony coral growth.

agreed with Wes, whats your Alk at I would imagine its high if your calcium is low(that is also taking into consideration that you are dosing to keep both levels up) with that being said what is your dosing schedule? Do you use a product to keep these levels in check on a regular basis?
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...