2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Nitrate problems  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Dj1259

• Fry
Nitrate problems
« on: June 11, 2011, 17:51:01 »
I need some help. So i set up a FOWLR system about 3 months ago as my first SW tank. It does not have a sump or refugium because i did not wanna drill the tank and am contemplating doing an over flow box with sump but still with no dilling. But anyways my question is how can I keep the nitrates down in the tank..they always seem to hover between 10-20ppm?? Now i use tap water right now because i did not have the money for an RO unit at the time but am looking at getting one now..will this help with nitrates?? And yes I know WC are the best way but i could do 50% WC everyday and it seems to always stay around 10-20.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Nitrate problems
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 17:56:33 »
I could be wrong but I thought for a fish only tank 10-20ppm is somewhat acceptable? either way does it have a skimmer of any sort?... the skimmer can be used to pull excess organic waster before it can break down and become a problem, if you don't want to do a sump a HOB(hang on back) setup will work... I don't believe there is a silver bullet for nitrates, however I have found that an addition of skimmer and macro algae of some sort(cheato) has done well to battle them. 

Whatever the answer be I am sure you will get some great advice here!

And an RO unit will help with several different factors and I would put it at a high priority for your tank needs... if you can't afford a unit at least try to purchase water from a place that can make it... though in a few water changes you could buy a somewhat standard but decent unit with what your spending on water.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 18:02:33 »
I agree with BoonJob about the Nitrates not being as critical for a fish only tank.

How often do you do a water change and what type of filtration are you using?  filters can be a nitrate factory if not cleaned reg. (thats why I asked about the filtration :) )
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 20:09:17 »
Even in a FOWLR system, you should have something stirring up the sand to help rid the system of problematic issues.  Your filter is probably the issue, but as others have said, 10-20ppm nitrates isn't an issue in a FOWLR system.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline larrynews

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 20:18:36 »
agree with the above mine have always been anything but 0 and i have an sps reef tank.....so i wont sweat it if things are good in it

Offline Dj1259

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 14:47:49 »
ok well thanks you guys.. and yes i have a remora c skimmer on it and no filter running just skimmer and 58lbs of nice LR with a few powerheads for water movement                                                                           

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 14:59:17 »
Test you tap water.  If you have nitrates in your tap water all the water changes in the world wont help you (and could be hurting you).
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Dj1259

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 16:09:40 »
ya i was thinking about that too