2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: CO2 regulator question  (Read 2603 times)

bigfalcon36

CO2 regulator question
« on: November 01, 2006, 18:43:42 »
Is it a necessity to have a solenoid valve on the regulator?  I have the regulator, but it doesn't have a solenoid...I am not running a controller nor do I plan to. 

Someone chime in on this one.

Offline verper

Re: CO2 regulator question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 19:00:46 »
I don't believe you need one if you are not controlling it.  Will need a bubble counter.

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 19:51:19 »
chiming in, i dont know.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

slandis3

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 21:40:40 »
the solenoid is used for a controller. If your not going to use a controller, just get a good bubble counter.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 22:20:17 »
Let me ask this...the Coralife CA reactor has a bubble counter that comes with the unit...will that one work?  Or do I need to get an additional one?

slandis3

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 23:02:07 »
im not sure about that. You might want to ask Scott or Joel

Offline cbell

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 06:54:50 »
the bubble counter on my MRC reactor isn't any better than the one that comes with the coralife reactor. i think it will be fime. JMO

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 08:54:54 »
Just monitor your ph.  Keep your bubble count very low and slowly up it. Monitor your levels a lot when you are working out the bugs.

Simpte

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 09:26:10 »
I have a lot of experience in regulators (been doing planted tanks for years).  YOur bubble counter is fine.  They are all the same.  I had a DIY one for a long time.  It only has to "count" bubbles.  The solenoid is a nice feature in planted tanks, as we turn our co2 off at night but I dont see why it would be needed in a sw tank.  Its a nice addition though as its easier to turn it off than play with the co2 output and have to redial it in everytime you cange media, or change tanks.

Offline verper

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 16:48:36 »
Its a nice addition though as its easier to turn it off than play with the co2 output and have to redial it in everytime you cange media, or change tanks.

I hadn't thought of that, good point.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 06:51:17 »

I prefer the controller / solenoid regulator method much better than a bubble counter. My opioion is if you don't need it added to your system, why let CO2 continue to be added to your reactor? (like at night on a planted aquarium for example) or on a reef tank if your calcium or PH values are where you want them to be, why continue to add co2. With a controller & solenoid regulator as soon as the desired value is met, it shuts off the flow of CO2 untill it is needed again. I believe this is much more reliable than a bubble counter and alot easier to set up. I agree that the bubble counter method can and does work, I just like the reliability and ease better.

Simpte

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 12:38:34 »
Cant argue with that...................
The only problem I have with using controlers (and remember by experience is with planted tanks) is controlers arent exact.  They usually have a -.2to -.4 swing which doesnt allow for a percise setting.  I think they dont "control" well enough for their cost.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 08:04:25 »

That is true with many controllers.

I've been using the Octopus and with research grade probes and typically it isn't a problem.

The issue I'm having with my controllers is that there is some kind of electrical problem / interference that causes them to read PH & ORP incorrectly and not comunicate with my X-10's. I am aware that some lighting systems cause interference  but I don't think that's what's going on. I'm thinking my building isn't grounded properly. What ever the problem is, it sure has been frustrating!!!!!!!

Simpte

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 10:41:13 »
Lighting (Flourescent I know of for sure but not sure about MH) will cause inaccurate readings with controllers/probes.