2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: fsoster and smith aquatics  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
fsoster and smith aquatics
« on: July 26, 2011, 09:24:29 »
foster and smith has reef crystals salt enough to make 200gallons for 47 dollars and you get free shipping on orders over 50 dollars
90 gallon shallow

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: fsoster and smith aquatics
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:31:54 »
foster and smith has reef crystals salt enough to make 200gallons for 47 dollars and you get free shipping on orders over 50 dollars

I order from them all the time!  Just understand the 200 gallons doesn't make 200 gallons if you are going for a salinity of more than 1.016.  That's pretty much with any brand of salt.  None the less it's still a great deal!  thanks for sharing.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 09:44:01 »
Just checking.... What is the salt that most people here use or recommend for their tanks???

Any way our site admin could set up a poll so that we could find out  ;)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:59:21 »
Just checking.... What is the salt that most people here use or recommend for their tanks???

Any way our site admin could set up a poll so that we could find out  ;)

I used to use Reef Crystals and my tank did ok, But I switched over to Seachem ReefSalt and it made a noticable difference, My corals look healthier and brighter and my coraline exploded where it wasn't soo much with reef crystals. It coul djust be me but it was enough of a change I haven't looked back.

Also I found the Seachem readies up quicker for the tank the water perimeters on the reefcrystals was alot slower to move around to where I felt comfortable putting it in my tank, and the reefcrystals had a wierd smell to it and would clump up while mixing it(leaving salt on the bottom of the barrel) where as the Seachem has done none of this.

My only complaint with the seachem that I have found is that if you do ALOT of frequent waterchanges it can really throw off your Calc. My Calc tested 500+ every time I ran it when I was doing very frequent large changes... I never was able to test this with reef crystals as I never did changes like this with that blend.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:29:19 »
Cody, how soon after switching did you notice a difference?  My PH tends to run a little low.  From what I read aobut seachem it helps to raise ph?

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 11:05:49 »
Cody, how soon after switching did you notice a difference?  My PH tends to run a little low.  From what I read aobut seachem it helps to raise ph?

The Corals responded very well, I was noticing them opeining up and physically responding more within a few days... The coral in general showed way more color within the first month of use... certain things like the Frogspwan, torch coral, plate coral became more vivid with color and not soo dull, they also blew up in size after the 1st month of use. I have NEVER had a PH problem with this mix and I test regularly.

With the Reef crystals my coraline was just surviving I had patch here and there, but when I went to seachem a majority of my rocks are now covered(aside from the few you gave me)...

I have also heard seachem helps bring out the blues in certain corals, however I have no blue in my tank to test this with(the purple plate coral I have is almost glowing though it is so vibrant now) before it looked like a stick of chalk and now it looks like a neon light.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:12:23 by Boonjob »
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:14:53 »
Hmmm, I may have to give that a try...  Of course I have a 200 gallon box of TC.  Anyone want to buy it?  LOL

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:39:47 »
In the past I mixed Kent and Seachem 50/50 and my tank looked great. Every color was bright, polyps were extended coralline grew everywhere. I stopped due to having to go to 2 different stores to get salt, it became a hassle. I switched to Red sea coral pro (RSCP) and I got about the same effect. There new blend works very well dissolves very fast and stays clean. I think I got 175g buckets from foster and smith for less than $60 free shipping. It shipped quick too, Ordered Saturday and got it Wednesday.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 12:17:27 »
Reason I'm asking is I am almost out of Kent... Wanted to know what others used...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 12:18:58 »
Todd I think there was a poll of what salt people used.  I'll have to do some searching to see if I can find it. 

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 13:18:51 »

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 13:19:21 »
It a very old post though

Offline slandis3