2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: The Alternative Reef  (Read 4788 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
The Alternative Reef
« on: October 04, 2011, 21:55:57 »
As some of you know, most of the rock in my tank is ceramic, and is doing very well.  Scott at The Alternative Reef has some "final" pieces up on Reef to Reef; they will be the last ones for a while according to him, I believe.  Some of the units that go around Tunze or Vortech wavemakers are exceptionally nice, and worth every last penny of the costs.  His work is very much worth a look, and he is a great person to do business with.  His work is also available from Midwest Saltwater; Bill at MS is a great guy and may have some stock that is not on the site linked here.

I have 6 pieces of Scott's work and it is superb.  These do not move around once mounted to the glass; the magnets are STOUT!  I will throw up some pics of my pieces if you're interested.  Lazy and Paul and some others have seen my pieces already.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/alternative-reef/70176-magnetic-frag-station-reef-shelves-power-2.html

Check this out; might be the last opportunity for a while.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: The Alternative Reef
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 22:00:19 »
I would like to see a few pic when you get the time :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:13:57 »
those are cool
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:17:23 »
Kevin,

I looked at the pieces you bought, very nice. Would also like to see some pics of you tank with them in it.

I have one on the mediums on my back wall, and like you said, they are stout. They blend in very nice and add a nice dimensional look.

John
John

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 15:14:46 »
I'll try to put up pics tonight or tomorrow nite of what's in my tank and the new pieces.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 20:22:55 »
Here they are!

Horizontal shelf with encrusting 6" tall lettuce coral

14-position (Large) frag shelf

Rear of frag shelf

SPS's encrusting rock in center of tank

New diagonal shelf

New horizontal shelf

New 10-position (medium) Frag Shelf

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 23:51:32 »
Nice, thanks for sharing

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:14:10 »
very cool
SIZE DOES MATTER