2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: calcium  (Read 1262 times)

Offline mbettman

• Adult
calcium
« on: January 01, 2012, 16:38:08 »
I was told to start using liquid calcium to get better growth of coraline and corals. I use salt with calcium and magneseum. Am I going to overdose my aquarium?

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: calcium
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 16:44:58 »
If you are going to dose calcium you need to test for it. Alk, calcium and mag are all important to corals. Depending what type of corals how many and their growth rate all 3 will be used up and need to be added. I would get a test kit for each. What type of corals do you have?

Offline mbettman

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 16:52:21 »
Zoa/mushrooms/leather/duncans/others.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 19:24:00 »
Assuming your are using reef salt you probably aren't consuming much. Like Steve suggested don't add unless you are testing for it so you don't overdose. Are you using a PH buffer?

Offline mbettman

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 20:05:57 »
I am using instant ocean reef crystal salt. No ph buffer.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 20:09:44 »
ya test befor u start adding
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 10:36:58 »
What they said.  Softies (your duncans are the only LPS's you have listed) like you have aren't going to consume as much Ca or Mg as LPS or SPS, but you still need to be testing for alkaline hardness (Kh) at least weekly and taking the appropriate response at a minimum.  As they said above, at least test for Kh, Mg, and Ca, because if your Mg disappears, your alk and Ca will also skew.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...