2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: premium aquatics  (Read 9353 times)

Offline larrynews

premium aquatics
« on: January 10, 2012, 22:03:44 »
ordered yesterday... here today....great experience  8)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: premium aquatics
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 22:59:49 »
Ya, great having them so close!

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 23:14:29 »
yup... great prices & even better customer service!!!

They are also about 2hrs away
300g tub o fish

Offline jeremy

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:40:23 »
I drove out to PA last weekend to pick up some rock and other bits.  For those that have never been there, when you walk in there is a number ticket dispenser thing on the counter by the door.  If you are getting livestock get a number and meander/shop until they call it.  If you are just there for dry goods only get in the line near the checkout counter. You can't browse the dry goods while waiting, only the livestock.  Expect a wait...but once your number gets called the service is great.

I was chatting with a guy there who turned out to forum member Inreefone.  Pretty cool!

I took a couple of pics.  In the store there are 6 or so rock pools on the left, corals down the middle, the back has fish, and the right side is snails, etc.
Sorry guy, wasn't trying to take a pic of you! :)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:37:38 »
Thanks for the pics, although never been there I have bought stuff so nice to see a pic.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 14:04:12 »
nice call on posting what to do when there!  I stopped by on a Friday & walked around for a bit until I was told I need to grab a number.  Oooops :)

300g tub o fish

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 17:24:17 »
o wow thats perrty smart
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline tidepool

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 19:05:40 »
ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!

:be happy:

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 19:25:25 »
ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!

:be happy:

Hint hint... :beee:

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 19:38:17 »
yup... great prices & even better customer service!!!

They are also about 2hrs away

How do you go about selecting your dry goods? Do your research via internet, write out a part number list?

Offline Viggen

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 20:12:48 »
I wanted a bunch of stuff however I needed something & couldn't wait (it was a few days prior to x-mas) it was a slip 2in bulkhead.  About $1100 later I left their store

I called up to make sure they were open (I think open hours are posted on their site) & did all my research the night before so I new everything I needed.  I just wrote everything down on a piece of paper since some of the stuff I wanted to look at before buying.  I wanted to look at their live rock (their selection was pretty low when I was there) & a few other things

You can also buy everything online & put in the notes that you are going to pick up everything there.  I think retail order get free shipping???  So it might not be as worth it to make the drive unless you just want to look.  I have a wholesale account which saves me a few bucks but I pay shipping.
300g tub o fish

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 20:15:48 »
I wanted a bunch of stuff however I needed something & couldn't wait (it was a few days prior to christmas) it was a slip 2in bulkhead.  About $1100 later I left their store

I called up to make sure they were open (I think open hours are posted on their site) & did all my research the night before so I new everything I needed.  I just wrote everything down on a piece of paper since some of the stuff I wanted to look at before buying.  I wanted to look at their live rock (their selection was pretty low when I was there) & a few other things

You can also buy everything online & put in the notes that you are going to pick up everything there.  I think retail order get free shipping???  So it might not be as worth it to make the drive unless you just want to look.  I have a wholesale account which saves me a few bucks but I pay shipping.

Thank you!

Offline jeremy

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 11:34:33 »
How do you go about selecting your dry goods? Do your research via internet, write out a part number list?

I just put everything in my cart/basket on their website, then printed it out and took that with me.  That way I had the description and part numbers.  But for me, I wouldn't make the drive just for dry goods.  Between the drive there and back and the waiting it's not worth it.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 17:26:04 »
I just put everything in my cart/basket on their website, then printed it out and took that with me.  That way I had the description and part numbers.  But for me, I wouldn't make the drive just for dry goods.  Between the drive there and back and the waiting it's not worth it.

Thank you. I was just curious about the dry goods process, I would also be buying livestock as well.

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 11:19:42 »
ordered yesterday... here today....great experience  8)

+1!  I ordered some chemi clean and they sent me notification last night of it being shipped.  I just checked my shipping number and it is out for delivery already.  Gotta love that kind of speed and professionalism from a business!
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 12:38:20 »
Hey Wes if you can take some before after pics from the chemiclean usage.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 13:09:43 »
And do NOT forget to leave your skimmer OFF until the water change or you will be cleaning up a mess.  This stuff works great!
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 14:41:31 »
And do NOT forget to leave your skimmer OFF until the water change or you will be cleaning up a mess.  This stuff works great!

Yeah, Lazy and I warned him of this. Wish someone would have told me....Oh the lessons I've learned the hard way!

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 14:46:11 »
Easy for me because I do not have a working skimmer at the moment... boo.

Still trying to figure out what pump I need to power my Red Sea Berlin Classic.  Only skimmer of the two I have that fits in my sump in my stand.  Lazy, do you want me to start a new post with my before and after shots of the cyano and chemi clean or can you just copy the last couple of posts over?

Also, can anyone give me a quick call or send me a PM with how I should set my Canon Rebel XT so that I can take pics of everything and they be clear.  My phone takes good pics of everything but my tank.  I need to know info as to best settings and how I should set my flash.
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 14:55:46 »
Easy for me because I do not have a working skimmer at the moment... boo. Still trying to figure out what pump I need to power my Red Sea Berlin Classic. 

Mag drive 5

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 15:36:55 »
Mag drive 5

Looks like I need to find another mag 5 as that is what I am using as my return pump from my sump or something similar... thanks for the info!
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 16:20:40 »
Looks like I need to find another mag 5 as that is what I am using as my return pump from my sump or something similar... thanks for the info!

Don't thank me, just passing on the info...

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=13060.msg117142#msg117142

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 08:53:09 »
Excellent... I didn't get a notification about that thread yesterday or I overlooked it.

Thanks again!
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 09:05:23 »
Pics of my sand and rock pre-chemi clean.  These are off of my phone.  I have ones taken with my rebel but not uploaded.

Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 12:34:39 »
 :hmmmm:

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 13:02:07 »
Thanks for posting. I think you are in for a pleasant surprise. Don't forgot to add air.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 17:13:54 »
wow that got bad but it will get better
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 22:28:19 »
Between the cyano, aptasia, and kenya tree... my tank has become a mess.  Soon it will be back to looking good.  Just have to get good corals out and get another file fish to tackle the aptasia... just need something to eat the Kenya!  Maybe a trigger...
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 22:42:49 »
Have you had a file fish for aptasia before? How reef safe was it?

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 22:45:43 »
Yep, he was awesome!  I never saw him nip at anything in the tank. He just got stuck on a power head.  Sad day, but will def get another once my 125 is fish only.
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 22:53:32 »
Metzcool uses a filefish for aptasia control in his reef tank with no trouble.  I've looked at them but a little gun shy about the nipping.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2012, 09:56:02 »
I love it, I ordered this on Tuesday, it came in Yesterday... I though for sure it would be 2 day... Prices were great, and the communication has been MAX! I can't say enouhg about their communication/customer service... They sent me several personal(not canned) emails(without my query) as to where exactly my shipment/order was in their process. One of my items was backordered, so instead of holding the entire order up for 1 day on the back order they shipped it seperately and "ate" the expense on sending me the backordered item Today. In my experience most all online retailers will not split the order at all, they will wait for the back ordered item to come in, and almost all wont eat the shipping.... I am throughly impressed... My only regret is I didn't order enough for free shipping as it is abnormally high for this style of retailer, But is easily overlooked with those great shipping times and superb communication.

Can't wait to find more stuff to buy.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2012, 10:24:29 »
I love using Premium Aquatics!  They have sent my back order with the free shipping and actually told me on their own, if I wanted to add other things to the back ordered item I could do that and it would still be free shipping! That's great customer service!!!  Actually my bad, it was Live Aquaria that did that with the back order.  I have always been very pleased with Premium Aquatics too though!  :)

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2012, 10:28:10 »
Yeah, every time I order from them I get my order within a day or two.  That is how they have gotten my business the last few orders for things I have needed.  That and they are very cool and well priced.
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline fyrfytr

• Egg
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 02:08:03 »
Looking around and everywhere and where people are getting there items.  Is this place out of Indy?

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2012, 02:47:51 »
Yes out of indy
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 11:45:22 »
Yeah, every time I order from them I get my order within a day or two.  That is how they have gotten my business the last few orders for things I have needed.  That and they are very cool and well priced.

+1 great customer service and they are so close that it is like getting cheap next day shipping :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 12:36:56 »
Don't forget they are open to the public at specific days and times. If you have never made the trip, its worth heading over to see it in person.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 18:50:23 »
1-2 days for me as well. Premium has awesome service.
Chromiumlux