2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: GFO vs Bio Pellets  (Read 3734 times)

Offline BuckeyeFan

• Adult
GFO vs Bio Pellets
« on: November 03, 2013, 16:47:48 »
Iv been using GFO for a while now been thinking about changing things up. Just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts on Bio Pellets ? Pros and cons and what do you think is the best GFO or Bio Pellets ? Thanks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
Re: GFO vs Bio Pellets
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 16:53:25 »
I've never used bio pellets but swear by BRS products. I currently run a mix of BRS carbon, and GFO in a BRS deluxe reactor on my 72.

Offline PlayeroPuertoRico

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 17:23:45 »
I have used and sold a lot of the Biopellets from Thrive called Biostimulant crush, in the customer tanks I've seen it has worked beautifully but water flow has to be tuned correctly and about half the dosage recommended, what sets it apart is that it has pieces of arogonite which make it more porous/abrasive. Just my 0.02.  Have not used any other biopellets material. Oh and compared to GFO it lowers nitrate and phosphate BUT it may lower one more than the other depending on the water chemistry

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 17:29:14 »
Gfo is better at ridding phosphates. The phosphates are actually removed when you change the gfo. I am having a problem with PO4, so I change mine every 2 weeks. To me  bio balls hold po4 as well as trates and if not cleaned regularly can dump them back into the tank.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 18:56:54 »
I thought the bio pellets eat the phos and nitrate with the waste from the reactor being extremely nutrient rich and causing algae blood if not disposed of in the proper manner.  Proper manner being a protein skimmer?

I was under the impression the bio pellets need replaced not due to being loaded up with what its cleaning but they are broken down/consumed by the bacteria and the phosphates and nitrates?
300g tub o fish

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 20:01:36 »
I thought the bio pellets eat the phos and nitrate with the waste from the reactor being extremely nutrient rich and causing algae blood if not disposed of in the proper manner.  Proper manner being a protein skimmer?

I was under the impression the bio pellets need replaced not due to being loaded up with what its cleaning but they are broken down/consumed by the bacteria and the phosphates and nitrates?

Could be the case. I am not that familiar with the bio pellets, just the gfo. I am thinking there was a post about this awhile ago. If I can find it I will link it here. 

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 21:12:54 »
I've given pellets the good 'pl college try, but about to go back to gfo as I can't seen to rid myself of the cyano that's set in since I brought them online.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 22:11:56 »

Hopefully the link will work

Its of la fishguys talking to Jeff M from reef dynamics.  Its a two part video and the link is only pt one....

300g tub o fish

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 22:32:15 »

Hopefully the link will work

Its of la fishguys talking to Jeff M from reef dynamics.  Its a two part video and the link is only pt one....

Good video. Thanks for that. In theory they sound great. I would like to hear from someone that has actually used them. Also wonder if you can use the pellets with out a reactor?

Offline Viggen

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 22:52:41 »
Here is the second part

Agreed..... Like to hear what people who have them have to say which is why I haven't coughed up the money for one yet.

From what I gather they need a reactor so they tumble.  Seems like a reactor made for bio pellets is the best due to how the tumbling is more consistent.  Just having water flow through them or spinning around in a container doesn't work, they need to have contact for whatever the reason is...

300g tub o fish

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 11:07:08 »
Also wonder if you can use the pellets with out a reactor?

In theory your could, but there are reason not to.  In my mind a GOOD reactor is a must.  And by good I don't mean a TLF modded reactor, actually buy a  unit made specifically for this.

Offline BuckeyeFan

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 20:05:06 »
 Thanks everyone for the input and videos !!!!! :)