2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How much phosphate is too much?  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
How much phosphate is too much?
« on: December 11, 2013, 20:37:26 »
I only have a cheap API test kit and the color has never been any different than .25 anytime i've checked it. I know I need to get a better test kit to confirm this one isn't bad, and something easier to read. I run a skimmer, cheato, and GFO in a reactor.

This got me thinking thought how much phosphate is too much? Is .25 high?

Offline Miles

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: How much phosphate is too much?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 21:00:41 »
Many people would say any phosphate is too much...

Do you have a nuisance algae problem? If you don't, I probably wouldn't sweat the .25.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:40:17 »
Most would tell you 0.00 to 0.03 is what you want for SPS.   LPS and Softies are not nearly as picky.

If you have a SPS tank, Phosphate will can cause your corals to be a bit more brown. 

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 07:45:59 »
Yeah this test kit has to be junk because I have a lot of SPS and they're growing like mad.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 13:09:01 »
Then if your happy with the growth and color, I wouldn't mess with it.   Unless you have an algae problem too, as previously mentioned.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 13:12:46 »
This still brings the same question to my topic. You ask how much phosphate is too much and get such varied answers. I guess this was my whole point.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 16:40:00 »
This still brings the same question to my topic. You ask how much phosphate is too much and get such varied answers. I guess this was my whole point.

That's the way it is with everything in this hobby. What works for some, not work for others. To me as close to 0 as possible is the answer. But at the same time you shouldn't have 0 either. Some say 0 po4 for to long is bad. According to my go to chart in out aquariums po4 should be .03 and typical surface ocean value is .005. I was thinking .06. Not .6 as I previously stated. My goal is to stay between 0 & .06 ppm.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 16:57:00 »
Phosphorous is one of the basic elements of life. (C,H,N,O, and S being the others.)

Without phosphate you can't make ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate), which is the main energy storage and transport mechanism for most living things.

The goal in phosphate reduction is to get it close to natural sea water levels, around 0.03 ppm.

Personally, I shoot for 0.05 - high enough to provide energy, low enough to not encourage algal growth.

Offline Marine_freak

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 16:59:55 »
Yeah... I want to throw in also that clams are a nice way to reduce nitrates and phosphates.... They are much more attractive versus cheato or a Gfo reactors.... I actually use all 3.... If your phosphates get too low your. Growth tips on your sps will begin the bleach..... It certainly is a balancing act!
A Indonesian fisherman once stated if we blow up the coral reef we have no future...... But if we do not we no way to feed my family now...... How sad the circumstances are today that ruin the opportunity of the future!

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 10:48:35 »
I'm going to piggy back on this thread, and ask what test kits are the favorite here?  Is the hanna tester worth it here or should I stick with the standard test kit?

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 10:52:41 »

I'm going to piggy back on this thread, and ask what test kits are the favorite here?  Is the hanna tester worth it here or should I stick with the standard test kit?

I'm going to order the Hanna phosphate tester. From what I've seen the rest are crap.

Red Sea test kit for the rest.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 11:14:04 »
Hanna Photometer... (Not the checker version)

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 11:21:27 »

Hanna Photometer... (Not the checker version)

This isn't the correct one then?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/other/aw/d/B003IKNJPC?cache=1389629856

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 12:13:13 »
You can use that one. When they first came out they had issues which seems to be corrected now although I haven't followed the updates so may want to check first. This is the meter version Paul was referring to. We got them before they had the checkers. The better priced checkers may be just as accurate. Don't know. http://www.marinedepot.com/Hanna_Instruments_Low_Range_Phosphate_Meter_Single_Item_Monitors_Controllers_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Hanna_Instruments-HN1195-FITEMOID-vi.html

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 12:16:40 »
Yes, that is a Hanna Phosphate "Checker"    This is the model that I have.   http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?id=009001&ProdCode=HI%2096713

They are harder to find since the release of the "checkers"   Maybe the checkers are better now than when they were first introduced.....I would do some research first.

Oh....and I see the link that lazy posted.....they didn't cost that much when I bought mine.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 13:17:18 »
From everything I've found researching the phosphate Hanna checker is the only one worth buying. The other Hanna checkers are worthless.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 14:30:54 »
My others "Alk and Cal" always check spot on. 

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 03:01:24 »
My phosphate is .16 which I believe is too high. I only have one coral that isn't as colorful as I'd like but on the other hand I have too much algae. I'm hoping the huge skimmer upgrade and the larger refugium in the 90 will take care of the problem. I have a Red Sea pro phosphate test kit. It seems to be accurate to me. You're more than welcome to borrow it if you'd like Jesse.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 08:25:35 »
My phosphate is .16 which I believe is too high. I only have one coral that isn't as colorful as I'd like but on the other hand I have too much algae. I'm hoping the huge skimmer upgrade and the larger refugium in the 90 will take care of the problem. I have a Red Sea pro phosphate test kit. It seems to be accurate to me. You're more than welcome to borrow it if you'd like Jesse.

Are you running gfo?

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 10:02:48 »
ok I have all the hanna checkers and phosphate is ok alk is great and cal is junk in my book you want to make sure you do everything the same with the hanna checker for best results but I would say the alk is the best phosphate hasn't gave me a problem really either but its new the cal if you test ten time you will get 10 different awnsers

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 22:03:55 »
Are you running gfo?

Yes. I'm running gfo and carbon in the same reactor. I think I may not have enough water flow through thereactor though. I have a larger pump I was going to hook up. If you have any other thoughts feel free to let me know.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 23:26:00 »
Yes. I'm running gfo and carbon in the same reactor. I think I may not have enough water flow through thereactor though. I have a larger pump I was going to hook up. If you have any other thoughts feel free to let me know.

With your phosphates that high, I would take action now. I would forget the carbon for awhile and run only gfo. Change the gfo every 2 weeks or when the water coming out of the reactor reads above 0 phates. See if that helps. Gha can start with just a little. And can be just a little for a long time. Then one day it will just be out of control.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 08:51:38 »
So...we king of got off track.  Is the cheaper of the Hanna Phosphate checkers worth the cost or am I dropping over $200 for the high end one?

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 09:03:11 »

So...we king of got off track.  Is the cheaper of the Hanna Phosphate checkers worth the cost or am I dropping over $200 for the high end one?

I say the cheaper one is just fine and will be ordering myself.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 09:23:54 »
I'm ordering right now, and if you don't have prime and want me to order 2, let me know.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 09:26:00 »

I'm ordering right now, and if you don't have prime and want me to order 2, let me know.

I have prime and wouldn't go without it. Thanks though.

Make sure and order extra regents.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 15:26:26 »
I like my phosphate checker so far