2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: if i were you !!  (Read 6317 times)

Offline delta1190

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
if i were you !!
« on: December 26, 2013, 19:33:57 »
If i were you i would deeply consider before i bought fish from Gerber's my son and his girlfriend bought a gift green slip for a Christmas present for me  ,happy i was i ran off and got a coral beauty beautiful fish    got it Sunday died today i was told my clown fish beat it up and they would not replace it my clown is only and inch long at best and the coral beauty was 2.5 or three inch long then i was told i need to move my rocks around when i add a new fish to my tank ,oh and by the way my water checked good ,this is a 40 dollar fish it should have lasted longer that that i don't know what i done to the guy they got running it down there but he has had and attitude towards me the last couple of times i have been there  before he went out of his way to help me .they did not replace a 40 dollar fish now they have lost hundreds of dollars of my  business i will not go back!!!!!

Offline Viggen

Re: if i were you !!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 21:44:31 »
Yea... Unfortunantly there aren't any good fish stores left in dayton.  Like stated gerbers can be quite difficult to deal with at times plus they are usually extremely over priced.

I would suggest checking out the jacks aquarium on Wilmington just south of 675.  They get their fish from a wholesaler I have used and I have had great luck with the fish.  I would not add the fish immediately to a reef tank, qt is a necessity due to flukes and ich. 

Marine solutions is also 20 minutes south of kettering.  For us fish people their selection is low however they are able to special order fish at times.  More of a coral shop......
300g tub o fish

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 06:39:38 »
I have good luck at that store and the one on Smithville  rd the. The manager there joe is friendly and knowledgable about salt water I only deal with him he will sometimes cut me a little break if I ask him it's a putty about Gerbers the girl that does our reef club there is nice she was going to give me another fish but Blake said no they said they called john the owner but I doubt it

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 09:16:58 »
Was in at Marine Solutions last evening. I thought they had a pretty good selection of fish. Seen several wrasses I would like to have bought. Had a couple convict tangs, those are cool. And several other things that purked my interest. Gerbers has a larger selection, but Gerbers is a different type of store. Just saying.

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 09:26:56 »
ya if it dont die its ok if it does you are out of luck ,have herd lots of stuff . where is marine solutions at ??

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 11:10:21 »
Most places don't guarantee livestock. Once you walk out the door it's on you. If you want a guarantee order from live aquaria. They give a 14 day guarantee

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=23

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 15:48:52 »
this i am finding out the girl down there told me 72 hrs with Christmas in there i fell in that time frame but the kid they have running it said no even after i have spent alot of cash there so the 40 dollars they did not replace is now 100 of dollars  they lost rip coral beauty!!

Offline Marine_freak

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 17:21:02 »
If i were you i would deeply consider before i bought fish from Gerber's my son and his girlfriend bought a gift green slip for a Christmas present for me  ,happy i was i ran off and got a coral beauty beautiful fish    got it Sunday died today i was told my clown fish beat it up and they would not replace it my clown is only and inch long at best and the coral beauty was 2.5 or three inch long then i was told i need to move my rocks around when i add a new fish to my tank ,oh and by the way my water checked good ,this is a 40 dollar fish it should have lasted longer that that i don't know what i done to the guy they got running it down there but he has had and attitude towards me the last couple of times i have been there  before he went out of his way to help me .they did not replace a 40 dollar fish now they have lost hundreds of dollars of my  business i will not go back!!!!!

Yeah the gerber employes can be real "A hole"..... It just seems like they do not care about customers... Just your money...... I quit going there for that reason. :nervous:
A Indonesian fisherman once stated if we blow up the coral reef we have no future...... But if we do not we no way to feed my family now...... How sad the circumstances are today that ruin the opportunity of the future!

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 19:07:44 »
We as hobbiest have to make sure our water perimeters and husbandry practices are up to par as well. I have and have seen, hobbiest have put things in their tank that didn't make. Then automatically blame the vendor in which they purchased the livestock. Only to find out it was the hobbiest tank and or pour acclimation procedure that was to blame. We also have to realize how delicate these things we pluck from the sea and put in our little glass boxes are. And sometimes, things just don't make it. Just saying.

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 19:16:48 »
my water checked pristine all forms were great the girl there checked it ,i know we are supposed to be the husbandman of the tank but sometimes when things happen we need understanding and help not to make the same mistake twice that's why i wont go back !!  come on 40 dollars to a place like that they probably write off thousands in fish and other death in there 

Offline njrdc

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 21:49:45 »
What type of clown fish was it? You can have good and bad experience any where my experience at Gerber has been very good. Also most of the employee at Gerber do there best. I always buy my fish there I think that they have a great selection of fish and they are always healthy. I have seen them use the best food to keep there fish healthy ( today when I was in they wee feeding there fish PE myise shrimp not a cheap food, and seaweed to all there tangs, I have never seen a store feed there fish like this) I was always told that it was a 24 hour grantees, there are not to many fish stores that offer a grantee.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 00:35:24 »
Not sure how everyone is doing their acclimation but I follow live aquaria and have had pretty good luck.

www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=157

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 11:18:06 »
i did not do that same thing but i did not just dump them in the tank with no time in the bag,i get it some people love the place and i did to close to my house and used to be friendly staff even john was good to me to but things change and people do to so thats enough said many people have had bad experences with them some have not horah for the one that have i wont be going back thats all there is to say burn me once shame on me

Offline njrdc

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 14:54:33 »
Did tge cloens kill it I think you have two maroon clowns thet r really bnasty

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 15:25:22 »
they were maroons and they are gone took back and got regular clowns

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 19:38:57 »
What made them think your clowns killed it? Did the fish have visible damage when you took it back?

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 20:22:36 »
not that i could see he said it fins were shredded i thought i was just because it was not in water looked good to me but who am i

Offline GerbersRep

• Kailey/Nick
  • Juvenile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 12:28:39 »
Delta1190,
We're sorry to hear you had anything but an exceptional experience at Gerber's. As you stated you bought your fish on Sunday and returned it Thursday which is well outside of our 24 hour guarantee time. When you came into the shop you had expressed your coral beauty was eating well and had no issues yet when we examined the dead fish found his fins to be shredded. We always consult the owner when someone is unhappy and he agreed that the fish died because of conditions in your tank not our shop.

We apologize that we could not take back your coral beauty but as a small business we have to stick to our return policies in these situations.

Gerber's Tropical Fish

937-297-0915 | gerbertropfish@gerberfish.com

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 15:33:58 »
Hate to say it...but I agree with Gerbers here if the facts they posted are true.  You should have kept a better eye on your tank to be sure that everyone was getting along after the new addition.

I've had to go to great lengths trying to pair a new clown with my female.  2 weeks of watching and they are almost to the point I don't have to worry about them anymore.  The male still receives the occasional beating but I son't see any damage to his fins anymore.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 15:36:53 »
G....rep......

I know nothing about the situation except for what is posted on this thread.

My take on the situation is that the fish probably cost your shop $5-9 and that there really is no reason not to work with the owner.  A 24hr guarantee is kinda a joke I must say and correct, its impossible to know why the fish died.  Was it from a psycho clown fish, bad water, improper acclimation, sick fish and the list goes on..... Who knows. 

Even telling the owner of the dead fish..... our guarantee is 24hrs however ..... you are a good customer and are several days past this warranty period..... I can't give you your money back or give you a free fish but we can sell you another fish for 1/2 off......

300g tub o fish

Offline njrdc

• Juvenile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 19:04:20 »
That makes no sense that gerbers is responsible for bad husbandry. I am with gerbers.

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 19:19:38 »
the girl there told me 72 hrs she knows i am always there Christmas fell within that time frame some may side with gerbers but lets be real here they are really not interested in keeping customers like veggin said a even 10 dollar fish because of that i will not go back .ITS not crying its principal !!!!

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 19:47:51 »
will a mod PLEASE PLEASE close this thread !!!!!!!    come on it's time. an it's going no were. fish do die. they are soooooo stressed by time we get them.   

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 19:49:31 »
will a mod PLEASE PLEASE close this thread !!!!!!!    come on it's time. an it's going no were. fish do die. they are soooooo stressed by time we get them.   

I second this.

Offline BuckeyeFan

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 20:01:55 »

I second this.
agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk