2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: which ozonizer to get?  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Viggen

which ozonizer to get?
« on: June 07, 2006, 19:43:19 »
A few weeks ago you mentioned that it's a good idea to run ozone in a FO tank thus I am looking for one.  I thought I had a old sanders piece but I think I threw it away :(

I was checking a few sites out & I am unsure which unit to go with. 

Not sure if I will get one but just collecting info

FWIW my tank is a 260g FO
300g tub o fish

Offline Joel

• Adult
Re: which ozonizer to get?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 22:32:53 »
I use ozotech products for the most part. (www.ozotech.com)  They are not cheap but are very well built models. I'm sure that there are many good other companies out there as well. I have the larger model from red sea with a built in controller in operation at a service account that has worked real well too. You will need an ORP monitor / controller to operate an ozone generator safely. I'm pretty sure it is but double check to make sure your skimmer is ozone compatable too. Many of the cheaper skimmers are destroyed by ozone pretty quick. (I know yours is not a cheapie) I can give you a hand with set up if you want to go with one.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 22:53:34 »
And....

I'd get a model that can generate about 1 gm per hour like the Ozotech oz4 models. Might be a little more than you need but it wouldnt need to work very hard which in my opinion is what you want. It could easily keep your orp in the 300's to low 400's with out running 24/7 to do it.

I have a used oz1-btu I'll sell but it's much larger than you really need. I ran a 1,000 gallon system with it for a few years. It wouldn't hurt your tank in any way but it's expensive.

Here's a decent deal on a smaller used one ;
http://www.ozonewatersystems.com/details.php?id=108

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 00:04:05 »
as always thanks for the info!!!

FWIW my 3+yr plan is to sell my 260g & get a 535G tank so I will want to get one that will work on a bigger tank.  How much do you want for the monster that you have?  PM me a price if you want.     

I am 99% sure my ER is ozone safe :)
300g tub o fish

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 10:26:33 »
I agree with Joel. I would go with the Ozotech. I would add the other 1% that your ER is ozone safe and off the top of my head so is ETSS.